Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed Fright Night (2011) more than I thought I would. Imogen Poots is beautiful <3

Also, I only learned today that Mad Men is back in March!!!

ReputationRep:
    I still have season 3 of Deadwood to watch, been meaning to watch it for ages, need to get back on it soon I think.

ReputationRep:
    Just here to join the Deadwood love in tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I believe it was you that recommended I watch Deadwood. I wanted to thank you; that show is incredible.
    I just started watching it again from the beginning. I love it so very much.

In the vein of Western TV series, you might also be interested in Hell On Wheels, the first season of which recently aired. It's not as complex as Deadwood, and less graphic, but still very good.

Also, Justified, because Timothy Olyphant's character is almost exactly the same as Seth Bullock.

Deadwood :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth are there only two original songs nominated at the Oscars? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Sascha Baron Cohen got banned from the Oscars for wanting to turn up as this guy

Would have been funny if he was allowed. The movie looks good too, it will be something good to watch in between the Avengers and MIB3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Why on earth are there only two original songs nominated at the Oscars? :lolwut:
    The nomination rules have changed so that everyone has to rate all of the eligible songs; if no film gets over 8.25, then no award is given out. If only one does, that and the next highest are nominated. If two do, then they are both nominated (etc.). So at most the Academy only thought that two songs were good enough. No doubt they'll change the rule next year to include more.

Incidentally, I have just been watching all the short films I could find for the Oscars. This is awesome, and by far the best I watched:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    I just started watching it again from the beginning. I love it so very much.

In the vein of Western TV series, you might also be interested in Hell On Wheels, the first season of which recently aired. It's not as complex as Deadwood, and less graphic, but still very good.

Also, Justified, because Timothy Olyphant's character is almost exactly the same as Seth Bullock.
    Great taste :yy:

I watch Justified and Hells on Wheels, Justified is better but the main girl in Hell on Wheels is so hot :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

This is my first time commenting on this thread after passing plenty of silent judgment. But anyway....

I finally got round to watching 12 Angry Men a few days ago, and I can't really argue against the critical reception it has been given over the years; it was genuinely a really fantastic film with great performances and directing.

Anyone else watched this recently and care to divulge in their viewing experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Great taste :yy:

I watch Justified and Hells on Wheels, Justified is better but the main girl in Hell on Wheels is so hot :coma:
    She is :mmm:

I prefer Hell on Wheels, but that's because I love westerns, and although Justified likes to act like a western, it isn't one. Still, great show :yy:

ReputationRep:

Kermode has a point, I don't think I can stand any more. Has Michael Bay actually ever directed a good film? Even Independence Day and Deep Impact were preferable to that film with the cheesy Aerosmith song, where a bunch of drillers are made into astronauts rather than the more common sense approach of making astronauts into drillers.

Then again, even that Bay film was preferable to The Core, so I guess Bay isn't that bad when the comparison you're making is between two steaming piles of turd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Has Michael Bay actually ever directed a good film?
    I really liked The Island. Yes, it goes bat**** insane towards the middle as he completely loses track of where to take the plot and for some reason a helicopter has to blow up, but the opening 30 minutes of that film was brilliant at sucking you in to a world and then spitting you out.

(Original post by Phalanges)
    I really liked The Island. Yes, it goes bat**** insane towards the middle as he completely loses track of where to take the plot and for some reason a helicopter has to blow up, but the opening 30 minutes of that film was brilliant at sucking you in to a world and then spitting you out.
    The 'utopian' (dystopian) concept it was based on was really interesting. It just went downhill after the action begins with car chases, shooting and things blowing up in true Michael Bay fashion. I think it would have made a better tale of intrigue/thriller if they hadn't left the facility or ventured as far out as they did. There's something more interesting/inherently creepy about staying in that facility when that stuff is going on/after you have discovered the truth than going on the run from bad guys with lots of explosions.

That said, it's not like there is an over-abundance of dystopian films, the only notable ones that come to mind are Aeon Flux, Children of Men, V for Vendetta and Equilibrium. There is a definite need to make a definitive, good film for the genre, which is why I hope they make a modern adaptation of either Fahrenheit 451 or 1984 one day.

ReputationRep:
    She is :mmm:

I prefer Hell on Wheels, but that's because I love westerns, and although Justified likes to act like a western, it isn't one. Still, great show :yy:

Justified isn't a western at all, beyond Tim Olyphant's sick hat. It is, however, a far better drama series than Hell On Wheels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    Justified isn't a western at all, beyond Tim Olyphant's sick hat. It is, however, a far better drama series than Hell On Wheels.
    Olyphant's character is a western gunslinger, almost to a tee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    The 'utopian' (dystopian) concept it was based on was really interesting. It just went downhill after the action begins with car chases, shooting and things blowing up in true Michael Bay fashion. I think it would have made a better tale of intrigue/thriller if they hadn't left the facility or ventured as far out as they did. There's something more interesting/inherently creepy about staying in that facility when that stuff is going on/after you have discovered the truth than going on the run from bad guys with lots of explosions.

That said, it's not like there is an over-abundance of dystopian films, the only notable ones that come to mind are Aeon Flux, Children of Men, V for Vendetta and Equilibrium. There is a definite need to make a definitive, good film for the genre, which is why I hope they make a modern adaptation of either Fahrenheit 451 or 1984 one day.
    I wouldn't really class it in the same vein as those kind of films. To me it was a lot more like Never Let Me Go, with the theme of humans that aren't really humans.

As for dsytopian films, I guess it depends on your definition. You could include things like Battle Royale, Blade Runner, Minority Report, The Matrix, Metropolis... there are some cracking films in there.

ReputationRep:
    Olyphant's character is a western gunslinger, almost to a tee.

Sorry, I was pretty blasted when I wrote that. I just really hate Hell on Wheels. I maintain that outside of Givens and the odd creative shooting, it isn't really that western. They love the imagery, but the recent season, for example, is more of a long-form mob film than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    I seen Journey 2:The Mysterious Island in the cinema and will there be a Journey 3:From the Earth to the Moon?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.