Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Daniel Radcliffe's new film, The Woman in Black, has just broken a new record. According to newly released box office figures, it is now the highest grossing British horror film ever released.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...or-record.html

As if Radcliffe needed any more recognition, for goodness sake. Everything that guy touches seems to just turn to gold.

It's now official. I have got to watch this film.

ReputationRep:
    Last three films watched:

1. Umberto D
    2. Ace in the Hole
    3. A Man Escaped

Umberto D was good, though I found the main character severely dislikeable. Nice premise though, and I did appreciate the subtle appeals to emotion.

Ace in the hole: a fine performance from Kirk Douglas. The scriptwriting, especially in the first quarter of the film, was phenomenally witty. Cracking watch.

As for A Man Escaped; well, easily my favourite Bresson film out there, followed closely by Pickpocket. I did have a bone to pick with the fact that the film ended as soon as they left the prison grounds, as it wasn't quite the same set-up seen in Midnight Express. A small detail though; just me nitpicking.

I'm currently watching Pandora's Box, with the beautiful Louise Brooks.

A really good book for film buffs: Tales from Development Hell: The Greatest Movies Never Made?

Among them include Neil Gaiman's feature adaptation of Sandman, the many iterations of Lord of the Rings (one version featured The Beatles), James Cameron's Fantastic Voyage, and the countless variations on Indiana Jones 4. Also including the widely discussed Batman: Year One film that had Darren Aronofsky and Frank Miller in the directors' chairs with Clint Eastwood starring as Bruce Wayne. In the book, Aronofsky explains his original vision for the Caped Crusader back in 1999:

"I told them I'd cast Clint Eastwood as the Dark Knight, and shoot it in Tokyo, doubling for Gotham City," he says, only half-joking. "That got their attention." Whether inspired or undeterred, the studio was brave enough to open a dialogue with the avowed Bat-fan, who became interested in the idea of an adaptation of Year One.

"The Batman franchise had just gone more and more back towards the TV show, so it became tongue-in-cheek, a grand farce, camp," says Aronofsky. "I pitched the complete opposite, which was totally bring-it-back-to-the-streets raw, trying to set it in a kind of real reality -- no stages, no sets, shooting it all in inner cities across America, creating a very real feeling. My pitch was Death Wish or The French Connection meets Batman."
    Full chapter excerpt.

Aronofsky plus Eastwood in an adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns would have been really interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    26 films there. I couldn't get some of them. :holmes:

Apparently, the missing films that none of us could seem to guess were:

Edward Scissorhands
    The Godfather
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    Quick and the Dead
    Vertigo
    Yojimbo
    Zodiac

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the new Avengers title either. But tbh I have such ridiculous kiddy enthusiasm for this film that they could call it Basic Instinct III: The Klumps and I would still turn up on opening night.

TDKR can suck it. :pierre:

The Hulk will make mince meat out of Bane tbh

Both of them have speech impediments. :pierre:

They aren't going to be shagging each other ffs :camp:

In other news, Piranha 3DD :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    is anyone here looking to study film or tv production in college or university?

you mean mickey mouse degrees? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    you mean mickey mouse degrees? :holmes:
    I imagine any such degree would at least touch on classic animation.

(Original post by cambo211)
    I imagine any such degree would at least touch on classic animation.
    you mean drawing cartoons with pen and paper? :holmes:

YES! new american pie film with the original cast ffs :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    YES! new american pie film with the original cast ffs :awesome:
    I think this is the scene that almost everyone associates with American Pie.

Short film by Ridley Scott.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MizzCupcakes)
    dunno if anyone already has posted this but it looks really interesting

you can read a bit about it here:
    http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article...lizabeth-olsen
    Have you seen it yet? Apparently Elizabeth Olsen is an outstanding actress, the young Meryl Streep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    n other news, this is a really compelling argument for watching the Star Wars movies in the order of IV, V, II, III, VI.
    Very good post. At the time Episode I came out, I remember being in primary school and loving Jar Jar, Darth Maul et al, but it's fair to say that the arc of the film really isn't very consistent with the Star Wars universe, and certainly feels very lighthearted and pointless in comparison to the other films. That said, I thought Episode II was actually worse when I watched it, thanks to the overly drawn-out love sequences.

ReputationRep:
    So I've been keeping a list of all the films I've had conversations about/read something on and was interested in but didn't have the time to check it out at the time. It's only been about 6 weeks and the list is already huge. Has anyone seen any of this to recommend?

Films: Chasing Amy, Man of the year, Kingpin, Sophie's Choice, Sliding Doors, eXistenZ, Ghost in the Shell, WarGames, Office Space, Diner, Sideways, Synecdoche New York, The Right Stuff, Antichrist, A Barefoot dream, The Next Three Days, Lost in Translation, Secretary, Apocalypto, The Passion of the Christ, Total Recall, Blue Blood, The Great Dictator, Big Trouble in Little China, Gattaca, Ed Wood, For Your Consideration, Best in Show, Thank you for Smoking, Ocean's Eleven (Original), Buried

Documentaries: Overnight, Sweetbox, Revolution OS, Rise and Shine: The Jay DeMerit Story, Paradise Lost, Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmakers Apocalypse, RKO 281, The Centure of the Self

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    So I've been keeping a list of all the films I've had conversations about/read something on and was interested in but didn't have the time to check it out at the time. It's only been about 6 weeks and the list is already huge. Has anyone seen any of this to recommend?

Films: Chasing Amy, Man of the year, Kingpin, Sophie's Choice, Sliding Doors, eXistenZ, Ghost in the Shell, WarGames, Office Space, Diner, Sideways, Synecdoche New York, The Right Stuff, Antichrist, A Barefoot dream, The Next Three Days, Lost in Translation, Secretary, Apocalypto, The Passion of the Christ, Total Recall, Blue Blood, The Great Dictator, Big Trouble in Little China, Gattaca, Ed Wood, For Your Consideration, Best in Show, Thank you for Smoking, Ocean's Eleven (Original), Buried
    Italics: seen. Bold: recommend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    Italics: seen. Bold: recommend.
    Thanks. Ones I'm most interested in are Big Trouble, Synecdoche, Secretary, Diner, Paradise Lost and Thank you for Smoking. I'll be sure to check out Big Trouble then!

I've been depriving my film viewing recently. :sad: Dissertations do that. Want to get back on it though; fancy a trip to the cinema soon.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.