Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

ReputationRep:
    Any Poliziotteschi, Giallo, or Spaghetti Western fans?
    Italian genre cinema of the 70's!

(Original post by Dalek1099)
    I should watch MIB I and II because I own them but haven't ended up watching them yet and MIB III is coming out soon.
    MIB :puke: (personally)

I probably will be doing that for Nolan's Batman films, though. Also, my reading list continues to pile up with great books that have adaptations I want to watch. :grumble:

ReputationRep:
    Rewatching Sleepy Hollow for like the 10th time, absolutely love it.

What do you guys think of it? It's a shame there's not many similar films at all.

ReputationRep:
    Sleepy Hollow was the very first movie I watched as a kid that scared the hell out of me....it will thus always hold a special place in my heart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheep_go_baa)
    Sleepy Hollow was the very first movie I watched as a kid that scared the hell out of me....it will thus always hold a special place in my heart
    Haha same, it was one of the first horror films that I remember scaring me. I watched the Excorcist and The Blair With Project when I was really young though, scared the **** out of me, I still haven't rewatched The Exorcist since that day :nooo:

ReputationRep:
    I remember Sleepy Hollow making me giggle...

Sleepy Hollow was a good dark film. I remember Christina Ricci being my first film crush.

ReputationRep:
    Christopher Walken used to scared the absolute crap out of me in Sleepy Hollow. I read somewhere that he had his teeth filed to sharp points for real just for the role and then had them all capped afterwards.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Sleepy Hollow was a good dark film. I remember Christina Ricci being my first film crush.
    Yeah, it's weird thinking that she was probably 18 when filming that, she looks younger in the film!

Do you know of any films that are sort of similar to Sleepy Hollow?

Of the top of my head the only one I can come up with is From Hell but that's not as dark as Sleepy Hollow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Yeah, it's weird thinking that she was probably 18 when filming that, she looks younger in the film!

Of the top of my head the only one I can come up with is From Hell but that's not as dark as Sleepy Hollow.
    I quite liked Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Have you seen it? It's pretty dark, it's a combination of both a horror film and a musical. You might like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)

Sweeney Todd is similarly dark, if you can get past the musical aspect!

A few more that come to mind are:

An American Haunting (2005) - It got panned but there are many many worse films in my opinion.
    Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
    The Crow (1994) - One of my absolute favourites.

(Original post by Deshi)

I think most Tim Burton films meet that criteria. The ones I'm thinking of would be The Adams Family, Edward Scissorhands, Sweeny Todd, The Brothers Grimm and Pan's Labyrinth.

Van Helsing might also qualify in the sense of setting and era but I wouldn't say it was dark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    I probably will be doing that for Nolan's Batman films, though.
    I never watched Batman Begins, and watched The Dark Knight before I really got into films (and therefore didn't appreciate it). So I'll be watching both in one go soon

ReputationRep:
    The Cabin in the Woods feels like everything that Scream 4 should have been.

Probably going to watch This is Not a Film tomorrow, very much looking forward to seeing that. I'm not really finding other films I might like to see at the cinemas over this week, though - films which were on earlier, like Carnage and Margin Call, seem no longer to be available.

ReputationRep:
    3D added little to the experience, but nonetheless I feel like I've been to a funeral held on a roller-coaster.

Also if I have to watch the Battleship trailer one more time I'm going to throw something.
    Also the Beauty & The Beast 3D trailer made me cry.
    Also Salmon Fishing In The Yemen looks like it could be worth a watch.

ReputationRep:
    I really love Star Trek so I can't wait till the next episode in the cinemas in 2013-I would love Kirk to have to fight the Borg.I still don't know why they reverted back to Kirk when logically they should have moved onto DS9 movies because DS9 is the best Star Trek TV series.

I have to be honest, I've never had any interest in any of the Star Trek TV series. The 2009 film was really good though so I'm looking forward to the sequel. From what I understand about them reverting to Kirk is that it was essentially a reboot from all the continuity issues that would stem from the TV series and it allowed them to take the franchise back to its roots. And I guess Kirk and Spock are more famous characters than whoever is in DS9.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I have to be honest, I've never had any interest in any of the Star Trek TV series. The 2009 film was really good though so I'm looking forward to the sequel. From what I understand about them reverting to Kirk is that it was essentially a reboot from all the continuity issues that would stem from the TV series and it allowed them to take the franchise back to its roots. And I guess Kirk and Spock are more famous characters than whoever is in DS9.
    I'm not too fond of the original eries.If you liked the movie then you should watch the TV series-the movie was the 1st episode of Star Trek I ever watch from it I decided to become a real Star Trek nerd and own hundreds of Star Trek episodes

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.