Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Cameron's going after 60 FPS in the next Avatar films :holmes:

They will look ****ing gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Going to watch The Shining first. Should I watch A Clockwork Orange after it or Dr Strangelove? :awesome:
    All epic choices! I'd personally follow it with A Clockwork Orange, but it really depends on your mood - both are awesome films. But you already knew that.

ReputationRep:
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

Going to watch The Shining first. Should I watch A Clockwork Orange after it or Dr Strangelove? :awesome:
    I absolutely adore Dr Strangelove. I haven't seen A Clockwork Orange, but I've read the book so clearly I'm more highbrow and stuff :pierre:

(Original post by Jace Falco)
    I absolutely adore Dr Strangelove. I haven't seen A Clockwork Orange, but I've read the book so clearly I'm more highbrow and stuff :pierre:
    I've read the book of A Clockwork Orange as well, so shove off and go read Preacher while I read Finnegans Wake. :pierre:

(Original post by mimimimi)
    All epic choices! I'd personally follow it with A Clockwork Orange, but it really depends on your mood - both are awesome films. But you already knew that.
    I've seen Kubrick's films many times, so it doesn't really matter what I go and watch. :p: I don't have time to watch them tonight though, I have plans. Damn. :emo:

But I might be seeing Source Code tonight. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I've seen Kubrick's films many times, so it doesn't really matter what I go and watch. :p: I don't have time to watch them tonight though, I have plans. Damn. :emo:

It's been getting unexpectedly good reviews. I've always had a soft spot for Jake since Donnie Darko.

(Original post by channy)
    It's been getting unexpectedly good reviews. I've always had a soft spot for Jake since Donnie Darko.
    It's Duncan Jones, he proved he was a great director with Moon. Apparently the film isn't as 'low-brow' as some made it out to be when the first trailer hit. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    I've read the book of A Clockwork Orange as well, so shove off and go read Preacher while I read Finnegans Wake. :pierre:

I have to read that soon. Any tips? My attempts to read it casually have all been thwarted by not really trying hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    It's Duncan Jones, he proved he was a great director with Moon. Apparently the film isn't as 'low-brow' as some made it out to be when the first trailer hit. :beard:
    Hmmm, Moon was excellent, my only gripe is the ending.

Spoiler:
    Show
    If I remember correctly he goes back to earth with his clone? There's a massive uproar about human rights, cloning ethics etc with news sound clips etc.

I would've preferred it if the closing shots were of the pod landing in remote place (either on Earth, or possibly an asteroid of some kind?), and as the camera slowly pans out, we come to see a mass graveyard of countless pods with the skeletal remains of past-Sams who tried to make their escape...

(Original post by Christien)
    I have to read that soon. Any tips? My attempts to read it casually have all been thwarted by not really trying hard enough.
    Hahah, no, I got like 10 pages into it and then I was like 'JOYCE, U MAD :awesome:' and gave up. I suppose you just need to go with the flow in the first reading (just like Ulysses) and then consult analysis and annotations after your first reading.

(Original post by channy)
    Hmmm, Moon was excellent, my only gripe is the ending.

Spoiler:
    Show
    If I remember correctly he goes back to earth with his clone? There's a massive uproar about human rights, cloning ethics etc with news sound clips etc.

I would've preferred it if the closing shots were of the pod landing in remote place (either on Earth, or possibly an asteroid of some kind?), and as the camera slowly pans out, we come to see a mass graveyard of countless pods with the skeletal remains of past-Sams who tried to make their escape...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah, the ending was a bit of an anti-climax. They could have done that panning you've described above, with the news sound clips playing over it, instead of seeing the pod return to Earth?

ReputationRep:
    Hahah, no, I got like 10 pages into it and then I was like 'JOYCE, U MAD :awesome:' and gave up. I suppose you just need to go with the flow in the first reading (just like Ulysses) and then consult analysis and that.

I dunno, every chapter in Ulysses was stylistically different enough that if you didn't like one part, you could just slog through it and get to something you prefer. Everyone who bothers to finish it seems to like different chapters :yeah:

But Finnegan's Wake, from the limited amount I've read, just seems to be a steady stream of impenetrable nonsense. :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah, the ending was a bit of an anti-climax. They could have done that panning you've described above, with the news sound clips playing over it, instead of seeing the pod return to Earth?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I just don't like the "happy" ending, I would've preferred a much more nihilistic approach. Escape is futile!

ReputationRep:

I love Kubrick Shame you won't have time to watch them tonight!

Think I'm going to re-watch Office Space tonight, haven't watched it in a while and I remember thoroughly enjoying it before...

(Original post by Christien)
    I dunno, every chapter in Ulysses was stylistically different enough that if you didn't like one part, you could just slog through it and get to something you prefer. Everyone who bothers to finish it seems to like different chapters :yeah:

But Finnegan's Wake, from the limited amount I've read, just seems to be a steady stream of impenetrable nonsense. :nothing:
    Finnegans Wake is supposed to be a dream, I think. It takes place over a single night.

ReputationRep:
    I've finished Preacher, and I'm too busy with police training to read much, so shove off and go read whatever while I keep society safe :pierre:

(Original post by Jace Falco)
    I've finished Preacher, and I'm too busy with police training to read much, so shove off and go read whatever while I keep society safe :pierre:
    You shove off. I hope you drop your baton on your foot.

ReputationRep:
    You shove off. I hope you drop your baton on your foot.
    You do realise that, even if I were as uncoordinated as you, it would just bounce off my incredibly sturdy boots?

Just finished with Animal Kingdom. I really liked it; even though the overarching theme seems somewhat clichéd, there are lots of unexpected parts to keep one interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Just finished with Animal Kingdom. I really liked it; even though the overarching theme seems somewhat clichéd, there are lots of unexpected parts to keep one interested.
    Hear good things about it, seems a good watch. quite like films set in Australia as well

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.