Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

Announcements

(Original post by Phalanges)
    I've been reading the books again while my exams have been going on (because I don't like to think too much about other things during periods of stress), and I've been mulling over the idea of them as a film. I love the books (mostly), I think the concept behind them is absolutely brilliant. But it does not work on a visual level. If you show me a twelve-year old bossing around bodyguards and smart-talking everyone and having business meetings and generally being the smartest guy ever, there is no possible way I'm going to buy into that. and there is no possible way a kid would be able to act that role without coming across as either obnoxiously precocious or far too naïve. It just couldn't turn out well.
    They could bump up the age to 16 or 17. I'm alright with that as a big fan of the books and could buy into it. There's no prevailing reason to keep him that young. Even a Jesse Eisenberg type character from the Social Network could have worked at that character age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    They could bump up the age to 16 or 17. I'm alright with that as a big fan of the books and could buy into it. There's no prevailing reason to keep him that young. Even a Jesse Eisenberg type character from the Social Network could have worked at that character age.
    But in my mind the age is key. He's still young enough to believe in fairies and magic, and his young age puts the situations into sharp relief that provides a lot of the humour and also means that his enemies consistently underestimate him. Once you start cranking up the years, you lose a lot of that.

But in my mind the age is key. He's still young enough to believe in fairies and magic, and his young age puts the situations into sharp relief that provides a lot of the humour and also means that his enemies consistently underestimate him. Once you start cranking up the years, you lose a lot of that.
    I think your latter point about him being underestimated because of his age is a good point. In the Alex Rider books, Anthony Horowitz set Alex's age at 14 when the British intelligence began sending him undercover under the reasoning that no one would suspect a kid, and they would underestimate him. And he began to lose that strength of his character as the books/years went by.

Seen Battleship. **** film but still better than Transformers. The black woman looked familiar.

ReputationRep:
    Will Smith quite popular on YouTube. For slapping a reporter and doing a Fresh Prince duet with Gary Barlow.

All this leans towards MIB3 being utter ****.

Seen Battleship. **** film but still better than Transformers. The black woman looked familiar.
    You went and watched Battleship? Did you lose a bet or something? :holmes:

A friend asked me and another friend about what film might be included in our top films of the millennium so far, and both of us immediately responded Transformers in the most serious way possible. The other person bought it as well, and was really confused. We managed to keep it up for almost a minute, but broke down when we tried to start talking about Shia LaBeouf's acting merits. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I think your latter point about him being underestimated because of his age is a good point. In the Alex Rider books, Anthony Horowitz set Alex's age at 14 when the British intelligence began sending him undercover under the reasoning that no one would suspect a kid, and they would underestimate him. And he began to lose that strength of his character as the books/years went by.
    I haven't read the Alex Rider books in a long time either. My favourite growing up was the one where he played a real-life videogame level, I remember thinking that was so cool. There's probably a whole bunch I haven't read. Just like with Artemis Fowl, I've only ever read the first four so I'm curious where the character progresses.

ReputationRep:
    Transformers is fun as ****. Not great, but the other two are much worse.

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    You went and watched Battleship? Did you lose a bet or something? :holmes:

A friend asked me and another friend about what film might be included in our top films of the millennium so far, and both of us immediately responded Transformers in the most serious way possible. The other person bought it as well, and was really confused. We managed to keep it up for almost a minute, but broke down when we tried to start talking about Shia LaBeouf's acting merits. :sigh:
    Almost, I lost the vote to decide which film to watch. My friends are the type of people that like big explosions and action films so are the ones always inclined to watch such films as the Expendables, Transformers, Avengers, Mission Impossible whilst finding films such as True Grit and Inception 'mediocre'. :emo:

I'm surprised you didn't break down when saying Transformers. :lol: I liked Shia LaBeouf in the Even Stevens TV show and as a secondary supporting character in the Constantine and I Robot films. It's the main spotlight that he does not seem suited to.

(Original post by Colonel.)
    All this leans towards MIB3 being utter ****.
    The trailer should have told you enough about the film. Looks bland and uninteresting, and belongs in the 90s.

ReputationRep:
    Almost, I lost the vote to decide which film to watch. My friends are the type of people that like big explosions and action films so are the ones always inclined to watch such films as the Expendables, Transformers, Avengers, Mission Impossible whilst finding films such as True Grit and Inception 'mediocre'. :emo:

I'm surprised you didn't break down when saying Transformers. :lol: I liked Shia LaBeouf in the Even Stevens TV show and as a secondary supporting character in the Constantine and I Robot films. It's the main spotlight that he does not seem suited to.
    I quite liked him in Holes, though. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    The trailer should have told you enough about the film. Looks bland and uninteresting, and belongs in the 90s.
    So does Will Smith tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I actually really enjoy Shia LaBeouf as an actor. I think he has good screen presence, and is really good at portraying fun and quirky characters. Although Disturbia wasn't GREAT, he did act pretty well in that, and I thought as well in Constantine he acted pretty well too!

He's just interesting to watch IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Luis Buñuel's Phantom of Liberty - 8/10

The most surreal work from the Spaniard by an English mile, easily. I enjoyed it greatly, though it was a little too staccato and roundabout to be a truly great film, even if you judge the work within the realms of the genre he made his mark in. The scene in the hotel with the monks and all the rest was absolutely perfect. If you ever want to laugh, watch that scene.

ReputationRep:

Apprehensive. Visually it looks great, but that's basically all Luhrmann's good for. Don't really know what else to say.

However if there is ANY autotune in the soundtrack, I will vomit in the theatre and feel no shame or remorse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)

Apprehensive. Visually it looks great, but that's basically all Luhrmann's good for. Don't really know what else to say.

However if there is ANY autotune in the soundtrack, I will vomit in the theatre and feel no shame or remorse.
    Yes, that's the morally right thing to do.

Still not sure what to make of it...It looks as if it could be watchable but Luhrmann's still probably got a few things up his sleeve that are yet to be seen but are bound to ruin the movie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheep_go_baa)
    Yes, that's the morally right thing to do.

Still not sure what to make of it...It looks as if it could be watchable but Luhrmann's still probably got a few things up his sleeve that are yet to be seen but are bound to ruin the movie.
    It's very odd. I see no reason for the 3D whatsoever - he'll probably linger on falling snow or cigarette smoke or the blood filling up the pool at the end though, I suppose - and though the cast is very good, the line readings seem to veer from affectless to over-the-top.

IDK, maybe I'm being unfair because I really enjoy the book and find Baz Luhrmann intolerable. I mean a director has a right to change what he wants in adaptation, but I keep worrying he's going to turn it into another melodramatic star-crossed lover story (ignoring the central point that Daisy's actually not really worth it and Gatsby should probably find something else to do, like polo or Monopoly or something) which is aesthetically impressive but otherwise completely ****ing vapid.

ReputationRep:
    I think Baz Luhrmann is brilliant. Romeo+Juliet was a very brave and ambitious interpretation, and he's a director with tremendous flair. He also doesn't make a whole lot of films, so it's always refreshing to see him. The 3D backlash is all getting rather tiresome though - Martin Scorsese definitively showed that films you might not initially think need 3D can benefit from it, and still be excellent works in their own right.

It also looks like Carey Mulligan is now officially one of the biggest actresses in the world, which is nice. However, there's a distinct lack of Vincent Chase in that trailer. :sad:

EDIT: My 3D comment wasn't aimed at you Christien (I didn't see it before I wrote my post), just at the more general youtube crowd that goes "haha, 3D is crap".

It also looks like Carey Mulligan is now officially one of the biggest actresses in the world, which is nice.
    :yep: It's been coming. It looks like she know how to pick her movies as well - An Education, Never Let Me Go, Drive and Shame in recent years (although also a blip with Wall Street 2).

ReputationRep:
    I'll certainly go and see it because I love the book, but like Christien I'm concerned that Luhrmann is going to portray Gatsby and Daisy as ill fated 'one true loves', when the whole point of the novel is the fact that she is anything but that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.