Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I watched two excellent films yesterday in Land and Freedom and L.A. Confidential. :coma: Watched Jean Vigo's short (23 minute) film À propos de Nice this afternoon, and hopefully watching Trainspotting tonight. :sogood: (And then the plan is Tyrannosaur tomorrow and Nil By Mouth the day after to complete a really kitchen-sink bunch of films )

Also, seeing as it doesn't seem to have been mentioned on here, the results of Cannes' awards day:

Palme d'Or - Michael Haneke's Amour
    Grand Prix - Matteo Garrone's Reality
    Jury Prize - Ken Loach's The Angels' Share
    Prix de la mise en scène (i.e. Best Director) - Carlos Reygadas for Post Tenebras Lux
    Prix du scénario (i.e. Best Screenplay) - Cristian Mungiu for Beyond the Hills
    Best Actress - jointly won by Cristina Flutur and Cosmina Stratan, both for Beyond the Hills
    Best Actor - Mads Mikkelsen for The Hunt
    Camera d'Or (the award for debuting directors) - Benh Zeitlin for Beasts of the Southern Wild

Those are the main ones, anyway. (Wikipedia has the full list here)

I really want to see Beasts of the Southern Wild now - it also won the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Seeing Moonrise Kingdom tomorrow, really looking forward to it.

Well, changed my plans somewhat and watched Tyrannosaur today. Properly depressing - distressing, even - film, that. Very well done and all, though. But very harrowing for me; I'm not sure if I could watch it again (I probably will in due course, but you know what I mean )

ReputationRep:
    Michael Fassbender's performance in Shame was pretty ****ing sensational.

ReputationRep:
    Well, some of you are going to care about this.

I would have pictured Jackman as more of a Javert than a Valjean, really, given his role in The Prestige, but I'm not a casting director. Good to see Marius is still a massive gaywad.

I don't like Hathaway as Fantine. I know the songs won't be belted out the same way as the are onstage but I don't think she'll do the character justice.

ReputationRep:
    Les Mis looks awesome. Crowe and Jackman

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    Well, some of you are going to care about this.

I would have pictured Jackman as more of a Javert than a Valjean, really, given his role in The Prestige, but I'm not a casting director. Good to see Marius is still a massive gaywad.
    Video is private. :cry:

I'll be watching that. I love the musical :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Video is private. :cry:

I'll be watching that. I love the musical :love:

So do I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    So do I
    Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Found the trailer elsewhere, so that's three films I want to see around Christmas time, Great Gatsby, Les Mis and the Hobbit.

:coma:

I so badly want to see Les Mis at the theatre again, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    Fight Club is twice the film.

(Original post by Pi!)
    I don't actually think Donnie Darko's all that good. It's got some great scenes, like burning down Patrick Swayze's house, but I find the ending annoyingly ambiguous.
    I think that's what annoys me about Fight Club - it's too impersonal, almost as if what could've been a brilliant story takes a back seat to all the psychobabble and violence. It's the ambiguity of Donnie Darko that I love the most. My own invented metaplot which I thought to reason the ending isn't explicitly wrong because no meaning of the film is explicitly right either.

:>

I do hope people keep the important bits to themselves/inside spoiler tags. Donnie Darko is one that I'm quite looking forward to seeing, now that I've got the DVD. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Donnie Darko wants to be a Lynch film but it really isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Empire's review for Prometheus is out, it doesn't look to good for Alien fans (me). Going to hear the Good Doctor's opinion before I make my mind up to go and see it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely LOVED Moonrise Kingdom.

Stunning cast and stunning cinematography. Special praise for young Jared Gilman who was excellent.

Anderson's best film since Rushmore in my opinion, in fact I think I like it even better. 9/10

ReputationRep:
    Will probably see Moonrise Kingdom next week. I'm ashamed to say I've never seen a Wes Anderson film before. :getmecoat:

(Original post by soup)
    Empire's review for Prometheus is out, it doesn't look to good for Alien fans (me). Going to hear the Good Doctor's opinion before I make my mind up to go and see it or not.
    Bear in mind that both Alien and Blade Runner came out to lukewarm (mixed to negative) reviews. The main criticisms I've seen of Prometheus have been a lack of character development and a constant overwhelming comparison against Alien. Given it has ties to that universe, such a comparison is expected but I don't think it's being judged on its own merits enough. Ironically, one of the reviews which criticised Prometheus for its character development in all but 2 characters (which seems like a fair criticism) waxed lyrical about Alien in the same review, which lacked character development in all but 1/2/3 characters too.

This is one film, like The Dark Knight Rises and The Hobbit, which I will end up going to see anyway, whatever the criticism may be.

Benedict Cumberbatch joins the cast of 12 Years a Slave. :eek: Steve McQueen, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbatch.... :coma: Already shaping up to be my most anticipated film of 2013.

Also, did anyone see the news about George Lucas retiring from mainstream film-making? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Ape Gone Insane banned? Say whaaat? :lolwut:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.