Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Spoilers tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    Spoilers tbh.
    Don't think people who haven't seen it yet would really get it/remember it whilst they were watching, but I've put it in spoiler tags just in case.

ReputationRep:
    Exams are over and thought I'd get a free trial of Netflix.

Omg :coma: So much good stuff. Film selection is a little thin but soooo much good television. Goodbye being productive over the summer..

ReputationRep:
    Just finished my David Lynch adventure. Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive are my favorite works. Thought Inland Empire was too self-indulgent.

In order:

1, Mulholland Drive.
    2, Wild at Heart.
    3, Blue Velvet.
    4, Eraserhead.
    5, The Elephant Man.
    6, Inland Empire.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, have you guys seen Machete? That movie is awesome Especially Mayra Leal :drool:

ReputationRep:
    I went to see 'A Fantastic Fear Of Everything' yesterday and it's the work of an entirely incompetent pratt. It might very well be the worst film i've ever seen at a cinema, and I owned a Cineworld Unlimited card for years. Pegg is OK as you'd expect, it's just the script is babble written by someone with no aptitude for it whatsoever. It's year 9 drama stuff. You know how people talk about how lean some shows are, about how every single word and action is perfect and indispensible and not a second of time is wasted. This is the exact opposite of that. He has come up with an idea and then spent months working out a load of utter **** to turn it into a feature length idea. By halfway through I was wondering when the film was going to start and by 3/4 i was pretty sure that Crispian Mills has some fairly significant brain damage from his KS years. Unfortunately his attempt to write a film about someone with mental health problems has come across as just that, a film written by someone with brain damage. You have to assume he's matey with Pegg and a number of other people who indulged this. It's not like Pegg's short of work, is it.

ReputationRep:
    Just noticed that Kingdom of Heaven is on tonight. I've never watched it - how appropriate is it to watch with family? Is it better to watch alone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandora.)
    Just noticed that Kingdom of Heaven is on tonight. I've never watched it - how appropriate is it to watch with family? Is it better to watch alone?
    I don't think I've seen Kingdom of Heaven before. Isn't that the one with Orlando Bloom? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    I don't think I've seen Kingdom of Heaven before. Isn't that the one with Orlando Bloom? :holmes:
    Yeah, about the Crusades.

ReputationRep:
    There's some pretty strong violence - an enormous stack of severed heads comes to mind - but the ridiculous nature of the film takes away just about all of the power of these scenes.

(Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    Indeed; one of the single worst casting choices ever made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    There's some pretty strong violence - an enormous stack of severed heads comes to mind - but the ridiculous nature of the film takes away just about all of the power of these scenes.
    Fair enough, not a problem. Shame about your review though, I was quite looking forward to it.

The director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven is well worth the watch, the theatrical/normal cut just isn't up to par. It's a pretty good Ridley Scott film.

ReputationRep:
    Have to agree with the directors cut being pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, not a problem. Shame about your review though, I was quite looking forward to it.
    Don't let my 'review' dissuade you from seeing it.

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    The director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven is well worth the watch, the theatrical/normal cut just isn't up to par. It's a pretty good Ridley Scott film.
    Orlando Bloom was an awful choice for the role, I think that's what it boils down to. An entire slew of excellent actors putting in good performances just couldn't cancel out scenes such as the 'I've knighted him, so now you're all knights' ridiculousness with 'Spider' from Coronation Street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    Don't let my 'review' dissuade you from seeing it.

Orlando Bloom was an awful choice for the role, I think that's what it boils down to. An entire slew of excellent actors putting in good performances just couldn't cancel out scenes such as the 'I've knighted him, so now you're all knights' ridiculousness with 'Spider' from Coronation Street.
    I have to say, I even remember seeing the trailers when it first came out and thinking that Bloom was a bit "lightweight" for the role. Don't get me wrong, I like him as a screen presence, but for a movie aiming for such gravitas as KoH (as it seemed to be advertised) it seemed like a big leap from Pirates of the Caribbean. Obviously he'd been in Lord of the Rings previously, but he seems to be the same character with different hair in every movie I've seen him in.

Rest assured now I'm not expecting too much from him later!

ReputationRep:
    I have to say, I even remember seeing the trailers when it first came out and thinking that Bloom was a bit "lightweight" for the role. Don't get me wrong, I like him as a screen presence, but for a movie aiming for such gravitas as KoH (as it seemed to be advertised) it seemed like a big leap from Pirates of the Caribbean. Obviously he'd been in Lord of the Rings previously, but he seems to be the same character with different hair in every movie I've seen him in.

Rest assured now I'm not expecting too much from him later!
    I think Kermode's on the money with his description of him as 'Orlando Bland'. He's very Robert Pattinson-esque, in that he tends to be acted off the screen by just about anyone who's sharing screen time with him. He was the perfect fit for LOTR as the elves are somewhat muted, pretty boy, matter-of-fact and effeminate. His natural state is a slightly toned down version of this, so it wasn't too much of a stretch for him.

Every role that tries to cast him as a heroic type is just beyond his grasp. He's not a very convincing actor as it is, but asking him to have the strong, heroic, presence required to pull off his role as the protagonist of KoH was ludicrous. He can just about pass for a decent actor in Pirates of the Caribbean, despite the fact that he's continually sidelined (excessively so for a supposedly leading character), because he's believable as the hopeless romantic, the blacksmith who ended up way out of his depth as a result of pursuing his love. When the film presents him as out of his depth in fights (i.e. the earlier sword fights in the series), he plays it convincingly. When he's asked to present himself as an adroit fighter, he's on a par - in terms of believability - with Elijah Wood as a football hooligan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    That is actually a pretty cool picture
    There's a whole Tumblr full of them: http://moviebarcode.tumblr.com/

The last film I watched was Norwegian Wood. I felt very disappointed by it because I love the book. The score and scenery were good but the characters weren't as fleshed out as they were in the book and it dragged quite a lot.

ReputationRep:
    got my lawless premier at Somerset tickets

(Original post by Mister Dead)
    I went to see 'A Fantastic Fear Of Everything' yesterday and it's the work of an entirely incompetent pratt. It might very well be the worst film i've ever seen at a cinema, and I owned a Cineworld Unlimited card for years. Pegg is OK as you'd expect, it's just the script is babble written by someone with no aptitude for it whatsoever. It's year 9 drama stuff. You know how people talk about how lean some shows are, about how every single word and action is perfect and indispensible and not a second of time is wasted. This is the exact opposite of that. He has come up with an idea and then spent months working out a load of utter **** to turn it into a feature length idea. By halfway through I was wondering when the film was going to start and by 3/4 i was pretty sure that Crispian Mills has some fairly significant brain damage from his KS years. Unfortunately his attempt to write a film about someone with mental health problems has come across as just that, a film written by someone with brain damage. You have to assume he's matey with Pegg and a number of other people who indulged this. It's not like Pegg's short of work, is it.
    Sounds about right - it's being absolutely pummeled by critics everywhere. :laugh:

Of course, I now want to watch it, in a perverse sort of way. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I managed to avoid any reviews for it because I had an inkling it would be bad and I try to see at least a couple of films each month that I know nothing about. It was a horrorshow. Truly it was, a new low.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.