The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6680
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I've just remembered his role in Troy - as the hopeless romantic responsible for triggering the war and the only convincing parts with him is where he attempts to be a hero by challenging one of the opposing brothers to a one on one fight and proceeds to get his ass kicked, at which point he cowers up to Eric Bana. I didn't buy the whole Rocky style training, where he gets ready to avenge his brother's death and shoot Achilles a bunch of times, either. He spends most of the film getting sidelined by the presence of Eric Bana and Brad Pitt despite having nearly as much screen time.

I found it hard to believe that the son of the King of Troy would be quite as much of a useless coward in a hand to hand combat situation. The problem with casting him in the roles that require a rough around the edges sort of guy - more of a Channing Tatum pretty boy - don't work having Orlando Bloom. He just doesn't have even an ounce of believability in any sort of heroic/combative role.

The Rocky style training montage was particularly weak because it was a strange addition to the Iliad, seemingly used in order to have Brad Pitt alive a bit longer and try and make him seem more 'human' with the love interest (the temple girl). In the story, Paris shot an arrow from the ramparts that went through Achilles' heel when he was dragging Hector around. That wouldn't have suited the Bloom take on Paris, and it would've taken Achilles out too early, so instead they went for the frankly silly scene in the burning Troy. It was no Alexander, but it could've been a hell of a lot better.
Reply 6681
Saw prometheus last night. I liked it but the more I thought about it the more it seemed like it was trying to be too many things at once. But anyway was worth a watch and I thought the 3D was well done.
Reply 6682
Trailer freaked me out when I watched it the other night, think it might be because I watched it at 1 in the morning in a empty house on my own, but it looks decent, trailer gives quite a lot away though.

[video="youtube;pgYxydrVlDk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgYxydrVlDk[/video]
Going to see my first film in a cinema since forever (I think The Raid was the last one I saw). Got some tickets for Your Sister's Sister, a film I know nothing about except that it has a really stupid name.
How does Ridley Scott make good films like Kingdom of Heaven and Gladiator but then make utter **** like Robin Hood? Just finished going through most of his filmography. Also came across Nick Cave's rejected script for Gladiator 2:

Following the success of Gladiator, released in 2000, Crowe and Scott invited Cave to write a script for the sequel. They hoped that the macabre musician could find a creative solution to Gladiator 2's main hurdle that Maximus, Crowe's character, dies at the end of the first film.

According to one blog's synopsis of the script, Crowe's Maximus meddles with Roman gods in the afterlife, is reincarnated, defends early Christians, reunites with his son, and ultimately lives forever leading tanks in the second world war and even mucking around in the modern-day Pentagon.

Dear god.
Reply 6685
How does Ridley Scott make good films like Kingdom of Heaven and Gladiator but then make utter **** like Robin Hood? Just finished going through most of his filmography. Also came across Nick Cave's rejected script for Gladiator 2:

Dear god.

Read that :h:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19350_6-famously-terrible-movies-that-were-almost-awesome_p2.html
Reply 6686
Dear god.

Want to see it though. :ninja:
Reply 6687

Dear god.

Yes, that's often seen on the lists of worst unmade sequel ideas. :lol:

Would be typical of Hollywood to have a Thracian rebel gladiator end up as a defender of American interests. :rolleyes:
Reply 6688
:lol:

Was Robin Hood really THAT bad? I thought it was alright.
Who the **** gets Nick Cave to write you a script?
Original post by Revent
:lol:

Was Robin Hood really THAT bad? I thought it was alright.

When you reflect it against what it could have been or should have been, it was really bad. Robin Hood is to Kingdom of Heaven DC and Gladiator what Prometheus is to Alien and Blade Runner.

Rough but accurate approximation. :pierre: It's a shame he has this level of inconsistency of quality with his films.
(edited 11 years ago)

Will Smith was in line to be Neo? Thank God that never happened.

Wait, Nicholas Cage was also in line? And Sean Connery was offered the role of Morpheus? The Matrix got so damn lucky in order to be a good film.
Reply 6692
When you reflect it against what it could have been or should have been, it was really bad. Robin Hood is to Kingdom of Heaven DC and Gladiator what Prometheus is to Alien and Blade Runner.

Rough but accurate approximation. :pierre: It's a shame he has this level of inconsistency of quality with his films.

Ah fair enough. I saw it on Sky Movies a while back and I honestly don't recall it being that bad. It was alright, but obviously not as good as KoH. But if EVERY film was that amazing, things would just be too easy :wink:

By the way, do you guys have a Cineworld Unlimited card? :smile: I've been thinking about getting one :p: I normally go to the movies once a week but am contemplating whether an unlimited card + train journey would be better than just going to Vue or just going to Cineworld without the pass. I don't like the idea that it's for a minimum of one year though :erm:
Original post by Revent
By the way, do you guys have a Cineworld Unlimited card? :smile: I've been thinking about getting one :p: I normally go to the movies once a week but am contemplating whether an unlimited card + train journey would be better than just going to Vue or just going to Cineworld without the pass. I don't like the idea that it's for a minimum of one year though :erm:

I definitely would if I lived near one, but unfortunately it's never been convenient for me to get to a Cineworld whether I'm at home or Uni. I really like the idea of it though, I wish other chains did something similar. The closest thing I have is a Picturehouse membership.
Reply 6694
Original post by Phalanges
I definitely would if I lived near one, but unfortunately it's never been convenient for me to get to a Cineworld whether I'm at home or Uni. I really like the idea of it though, I wish other chains did something similar. The closest thing I have is a Picturehouse membership.

Fair enough.

Ah, the good old days of picture house :moon: Tis a shame Westfield opened up nearby pretty much killing it. I used to go there all the time haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SerZm7DheA

:hmmmm: Will this be as good as the original? Looks pretty epic
Reply 6695
Original post by Revent
Ah fair enough. I saw it on Sky Movies a while back and I honestly don't recall it being that bad. It was alright, but obviously not as good as KoH. But if EVERY film was that amazing, things would just be too easy :wink:

Do you get to see IMAX/3D screenings on the card at no extra charge?
Original post by Revent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SerZm7DheA

:hmmmm: Will this be as good as the original? Looks pretty epic

Very 'Fifth Element' and seems like quite a departure from the original with the omission of Mars. Looks good. I hope it isn't the In Time of 2012. Every year we get a great sounding science fiction concept which isn't quite executed well on screen.
Reply 6697
Original post by Mess.
Do you get to see IMAX/3D screenings on the card at no extra charge?

Don't think so. I think it's like £1.50 extra for 3D screenings not 100% sure as the website isn't very clear on it.
Reply 6698
Very 'Fifth Element' and seems like quite a departure from the original with the omission of Mars. Looks good. I hope it isn't the In Time of 2012. Every year we get a great sounding science fiction concept which isn't quite executed well on screen.

In Time wasn't TERRIBLE so to speak :p: But yeah, let's hope so!
Reply 6699
Just gonna say I watched Hesher last night and it was completely different from what I expected. It was great IMO. Well acted and a thoughtful script.

Quick Reply

Latest