Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Do you get to see IMAX/3D screenings on the card at no extra charge?
    Don't think so. I think it's like £1.50 extra for 3D screenings not 100% sure as the website isn't very clear on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Very 'Fifth Element' and seems like quite a departure from the original with the omission of Mars. Looks good. I hope it isn't the In Time of 2012. Every year we get a great sounding science fiction concept which isn't quite executed well on screen.
    In Time wasn't TERRIBLE so to speak :p: But yeah, let's hope so!

ReputationRep:
    Just gonna say I watched Hesher last night and it was completely different from what I expected. It was great IMO. Well acted and a thoughtful script.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revent)
    Don't think so. I think it's like £1.50 extra for 3D screenings not 100% sure as the website isn't very clear on it.
    It mentions them in reference to 'uppings' or some other ridiculous waffle I think. I didn't think you would get the bonus content thrown in but the £15 a month is great considering I just looked at cinema prices and it is £7.40 for one ****ing adult, an absolute disgrace. Hollywood (and the film industry) really needs to take a long hard long at itself and see if squeezing the cinemas like this is really the best way to make money in the future. I can't believe people pay that much to go if I'm honest.

(Original post by Mess.)
    Do you get to see IMAX/3D screenings on the card at no extra charge?
    It's £1.50 extra for 3D.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    It mentions them in reference to 'uppings' or some other ridiculous waffle I think. I didn't think you would get the bonus content thrown in but the £15 a month is great considering I just looked at cinema prices and it is £7.40 for one ****ing adult, an absolute disgrace. Hollywood (and the film industry) really needs to take a long hard long at itself and see if squeezing the cinemas like this is really the best way to make money in the future. I can't believe people pay that much to go if I'm honest.
    Just saw their site. 10% off of food and drinks and stuff :p: This makes it a bit more tempting as I do love my Ben and Jerry's :lol: But yeah, if I go three times a month, it will be worth it which I hopefully will. I do pay But that's just me, I LOVE films :p: Having been single for the last 6 months has helped my pocket making it much easier as well You think that's bad? :mmm: Check out Vue

Oh and as Jess confirmed, it is actually £1.50 extra, so not TOO bad I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Michael bay's Ninja Turtles film has been halted immediately and pushed a release date back into 2014. This is the third Paramount film to be pushed back this week, after World War Z and GI Joe 2.

(Original post by Colonel.)
    Michael bay's Ninja Turtles film has been halted immediately and pushed a release date back into 2014. This is the third Paramount film to be pushed back this week, after World War Z and GI Joe 2.
    Considering this is the same director that ruined another childhood show and said that the turtles in this film would be from an alien race rather than mutations, I'd consider this news to be a cause for celebration.

:ditto:

Cineworld has been a ****ing godsend for me. I sometimes go and see 3 films in a day there and I think I watched over 60 films at the cinema between January and October 2011, or something ridiculous like that. Does mean I saw some terrible films last year, but I didn't really have much else to do anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I saw **** films more than once when I didn't have to pay for them. In exchange, I just had to be at the bottom rung of a cinema.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaW)
    :ditto:

Cineworld has been a ****ing godsend for me. I sometimes go and see 3 films in a day there and I think I watched over 60 films at the cinema between January and October 2011, or something ridiculous like that. Does mean I saw some terrible films last year, but I didn't really have much else to do anyway.
    Holy moly

About to watch The Woman in Black, which doesn't look too bad from trailers. I don't cope well with most horrors though. :pierre:

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    About to watch The Woman in Black, which doesn't look too bad from trailers. I don't cope well with most horrors though. :pierre:
    It is not a horror. Radcliffe seems unable to...actually express any kind of emotion, even when things get a bit 'creepy. Also, the whole thing was generally ruined for me by the audience of the showing I went to, who screamed EVERY TIME something even remotely 'jumpy' occurred. They then found this funny and proceeded to laugh at it. Every time.

The film is okay overall, I suppose. Nowhere near as good as the stage show, though.

(Original post by Colonel.)
    Good. Now lets just hope the end-of-the-world theories are true.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched Natural Born Killers, a film which I have always enjoyed very much. It just seems so unique in the way that it's shot and edited, and it has this unconventional, psychedelic style that I absolutely love. It really pushed the boundaries of cinematography at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    I don't see £8 as that outrageous for a couple of hours entertainment. That's comparable to a couple of hours drinking or pool, cover charge at a club or most other things now. Plus with all of the various promotions going on such as Orange Wednesdays and other day specific things (such as Tuesdays for Showcase cinemas) the cinema can be very reasonable. Last time I saw a film in Leicester Square it cost me £3.50 which is crazily cheap, and I rarely pay more than £5 to watch a film due to a combination of Showcase Tuesdays and my Picturehouse membership.

ReputationRep:
    So I just finished watching Suspicion, with Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine. Couple of things:

1) Either every film Cary Grant appears in was filmed in some sort of parallel universe; one where his hair finds it simply impossible to become unstuck from the maelstrom of Murray's pomade- or, he really did take too much care of his hair. Either way, it was definitely a high of the picture. Not serious. Okay, maybe somewhat so.

2) Although I enjoyed the denouement of the film, I did feel a little cheated out of the apparent would-be ending Hitchcock originally planned. If there ever was to be a remake (part of me wants it to be so, and part of me discourages it with a deadly anathema), they should definitely film it the way it was intended.

3) I was blown away by Cary Grant's performance, and that's excluding his follicular prowess. He had me loving and hating Jonnie with a passion; first I was dead set against him, and the next minute I would have a drink with him. Great stuff.

Overall rating - 8/10

It's definitely in my top ten Hitchcock films.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    So I just finished watching Suspicion, with Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine. Couple of things:

1) Either every film Cary Grant appears in was filmed in some sort of parallel universe; one where his hair finds it simply impossible to become unstuck from the maelstrom of Murray's pomade- or, he really did take too much care of his hair. Either way, it was definitely a high of the picture. Not serious. Okay, maybe somewhat so.

2) Although I enjoyed the denouement of the film, I did feel a little cheated out of the apparent would-be ending Hitchcock originally planned. If there ever was to be a remake (part of me wants it to be so, and part of me discourages it with a deadly anathema), they should definitely film it the way it was intended.

3) I was blown away by Cary Grant's performance, and that's excluding his follicular prowess. He had me loving and hating Jonnie with a passion; first I was dead set against him, and the next minute I would have a drink with him. Great stuff.

Overall rating - 8/10

It's definitely in my top ten Hitchcock films.
    I absolutely adore Hitchcock, but this is one of the films I haven't seen! I've seen a fair few now, but this one is next on my list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellobonjour)
    I absolutely adore Hitchcock, but this is one of the films I haven't seen! I've seen a fair few now, but this one is next on my list.
    Repping fellow Hitchcock fan. Here's my top ten:

1) North by Northwest
    2) Dial M for Murder
    3) Notorious
    4) Rebecca
    5) The Wrong Man
    6) Shadow of a Doubt
    7) Strangers on a Train
    8) Suspicion
    9) The Man Who Knew Too Much
    10) Rear Window

Honourable mention of The 39 Steps. I really wish he had his later, more illustrious Hollywood budgets when making that picture. It was good, but could've been so much better.

Unlike many, I didn't warm too much to Vertigo. I enjoyed parts of it, though it just didn't gel the first time round. Perhaps another viewing might change my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    Repping fellow Hitchcock fan. Here's my top ten:

1) North by Northwest
    2) Dial M for Murder
    3) Notorious
    4) Rebecca
    5) The Wrong Man
    6) Shadow of a Doubt
    7) Strangers on a Train
    8) Suspicion
    9) The Man Who Knew Too Much
    10) Rear Window

Honourable mention of The 39 Steps. I really wish he had his later, more illustrious Hollywood budgets when making that picture. It was good, but could've been so much better.

Unlike many, I didn't warm too much to Vertigo. I enjoyed parts of it, though it just didn't gel the first time round. Perhaps another viewing might change my mind.
    Whayyy Our top ten is pretty similar! (I do have Psycho in there too) I totally agree about The 39 Steps and I also am not a fan of Vertigo in the slightest, perhaps it's Kim Novak that I'm not fond of, or the ridiculous story/ending.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.