Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

That bald tattooed villain was so bad: he wanted revenge for something which technically didn't even happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    That bald tattooed villain was so bad: he wanted revenge for something which technically didn't even happen.
    He was just, needless... Also, was he Sucre out of Prison Break?

It was a good start to what should hopefully be a decent franchise though

I do sometimes wonder which Star Trek is more popular though, original or Next Generation :beard: The only thing original has over NG for me is Spock. If Spock was to be in NG, then I think the cast of NG was far stronger :holmes: And the stories were better to me as well.

(Original post by Mister Dead)
    A few sci fi films/tv that I have seen and enjoyed and that haven't been mentioned yet are:

Silent Running
    La Jetee
    Brazil
    The Last Train
    The Quiet Earth
    Threads
    Dark Star
    Repo Man
    Collossus: The Forbin Project
    Blakes 7
    The Twilight Zone
    The Prisoner
    Mad Max 2

they're mostly 70/80's. I didn't bother to list any 90's/00's as everyone seems to be fairly up on those already. There are hundreds of decent sci-fi/dystopia from the 70's but these are just a few of the better known ones I enjoyed.
    Brilliant, thanks! Did a quick Wikipedia run-through of those; the ones that seemed most interesting to me were La Jetee, Threads and The Prisoner. I'll be looking out for these.

I've only seen Mad Max from that franchise, and remember thinking it was all right (a couple of years ago); is Mad Max 2 much better?

Also, re-watched Alien yesterday. I must say, a couple of the characters aren't especially well-written, are they? Still really like the film, though. (On a broadly related note, I glimpsed a review of Prometheus the other day and saw that the reviewer had said that 'Scott has ensured that the setting feels less claustrophobic (than in Alien)'. Yeah, because the claustrophobic setting is really a problem with that film, isn't it. :rolleyes:)

ReputationRep:
    I just recently watched Moon again. I must say it is quite an unappreciated gem of a movie. I would say like District 9, it is one of the best modern sci fi's ever made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Brilliant, thanks! Did a quick Wikipedia run-through of those; the ones that seemed most interesting to me were....Threads
    be aware that threads is one of the most upsetting 'fiction' pieces i've ever sat through. It will unceremoniously ruin your evening/week. prepare yourself for it.

on a lighter note it provides us with the single greatest IMDB page of all time:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1856457/

I've only seen Mad Max from that franchise, and remember thinking it was all right (a couple of years ago); is Mad Max 2 much better?
    Definitely, yeah. And it's the one that developed that huge cult status so clearly there's an audience that feels it's exceptional in some way. MM2 is just an all out action film. It's quick and violent and looks great and doesn't care too much for characters and plot. Certainly you should watch it.

I loved everything on the list. I'd be hard pushed to pick a favourite but 'Silent Running' is just one of my favourite films. I adore that film and movies like 'Moon' owe as much to that (if not more) as they do to the usual suspects that get mentioned.

EDIT: having just read its wiki page, I see that Jones credits Silent Running as one of the major influences on Moon. I hadn't realised he'd openly said that. Also Red Dwarf, which is obvious from the off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    (On a broadly related note, I glimpsed a review of Prometheus the other day and saw that the reviewer had said that 'Scott has ensured that the setting feels less claustrophobic (than in Alien)'. Yeah, because the claustrophobic setting is really a problem with that film, isn't it. :rolleyes:)
    yeah, lol etc.

"at its heart, a terrible tragedy has ensured this new 'Carry on...' film will be less silly than previous installments"

I'm too scared to go see Prometheus now. I managed to steer clear of any reviews and opinion pieces for ages but for some reason I snapped and started reading about it, and now i'm convinced i'm going to hate it. I will go into it with a clear and open mind, but everything i've read has prepared me to be totally let down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Just finished watching the newest Star Trek film. I found it quite enjoyable except for the attempts at slapstick and horribly forced humour
    For some reason that seems to have become common in every major 'blockbuster' release these days. It really does let them down.

ReputationRep:
    Have any of you guys watched The Fisher King? :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    For some reason that seems to have become common in every major 'blockbuster' release these days. It really does let them down.
    It was shaping up to be a really good film but two major parts really bugged me. Kirk hitting his head on the beam with a ridiculously loud and hollow comedic thump and Scotty getting stuck in the water with Kirk attempting to talk him through getting washed away :sigh:

The rest of the film was quite an enjoyable romp though and I look forward to the sequel

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    He was just, needless... Also, was he Sucre out of Prison Break?
    It was Eric Bana

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    It was Eric Bana
    :rofl2: He hid his acting ability well then!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    New teaser for The Master, second most anticipated film of the year (first being TDKR).

ReputationRep:
    May be going to watch Abe on Friday

ReputationRep:
    What are the good thrillers to watch? Need advice

ReputationRep:

:drool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revent)

:drool:
    Looks freaking awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Any Woody Allen fans here? I just found the trailer for his next film. 'To Rome With Love'.

I absolutely loved Midnight In Paris. It was one of my favorite films of last year. Hopefully this one will be good as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Na-dia)
    What are the good thrillers to watch? Need advice
    Zodiac
    Se7en
    Frailty
    Drive
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    Fracture
    Insomnia
    Eden Lake
    The Town

I could think of some more if you want to be more specific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Zodiac
    Se7en
    Frailty
    Drive
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    Fracture
    Insomnia
    Eden Lake
    The Town

I could think of some more if you want to be more specific.
    That is a decent list! Out of those I have not seen Frailty,Drive, The Girl and The town. I like Fracture- have watched it a few times, very good one and I love Ryan Gosling. I will watch Frailty Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to give The Crimson Rivers a watch tonight, unfortunately it's only got the dubbed version on Netflix.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.