Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KillForOreos)
    I haven't seen it yet, I will soon though. What's Sinister about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    It doesn't look that scary but it doesn't have that element from the thing that steals children's souls. Hurrrr, that is a tad bit scary. Looks okay.

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    Related to something we talked about earlier: 'Has Pixar lost the plot?' Looks at the angle of criticism that contends that Pixar went downhill after Disney bought them out in 2006.
    Intriguing especially considering they point out that Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up were already in development when they were bought out. I think a lot of it depends on how much of an influence Disney has on Pixar projects. In the past, their relationship was mainly one of distribution. Was it them that leaned in on making a Cars sequel? They may have conditions that isolate their creative process from any Disney influence. There is a stark contrast between how Pixar make films and how 'everyone else' makes films. They have a greater emphasis on free flowing creative process rather than the more rigid, formulaic and controlled approach that other studios adopt.

I think the problems lies more with who is helming these projects. In the past it was a very much director driven studio focused around a select few: Stanton, Unkrich, Docter, Peterson, Bird and Lasseter. The first four haven't really been seen since Up and Toy Story 3. Brad Bird has also been absent since Ratatouille. Lasseter is still around but he also created Cars, arguably the weakest first film from Pixar (I'd put that more down to a mis-step). All of them are absent from Brave. They are also all absent from the upcoming Monster University too... But then you have Peterson on The Good Dinosaur (a film about a world in which dinosaurs never became extinct), Docter on The Untitled Pixar Movie that Takes You Inside the Mind and Unkrich on The Untitled Pixar Movie About Día de los Muertos - all of which sound like exciting projects. I think those three films will be the ones that redeem Pixar in the eyes of critics. I don't think Monster University is going to do that.

If I didn't know Brave was made by Pixar, then I would have assumed it was a Walt Disney or Dreamworks project.

I thought Insidious looked like a horror-comedy. Going to give Coraline a watch though. I was mildly surprised that it wasn't directed by Tim Burton.

ReputationRep:
    Cars 2 was pushed forward by Lasseter.

ReputationRep:
    Coraline wasn't bad. I personally liked it :p:
    and I think Wall-E was over rated. I liked it, but not as much

The Raid: Redemption is a really good action flick. It has some of the best choreographed fight scenes I've ever seen. I didn't care much for the plot though.

ReputationRep:
    The new Alex Cross looks pretty bad. They should have got Idris Alba to play him.

ReputationRep:
    So I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey again...my head is about to explode and I still have no bloody idea what that damned monolith is.

Set in the near future, Frank, a retired cat burglar, has two grown kids who are concerned he can no longer live alone. They are tempted to place him in a nursing home until Frank’s son chooses a different option: against the old man’s wishes, he buys Frank a walking, talking humanoid robot programmed to improve his physical and mental health. But soon the two companions try their luck as a heist team. What follows is an often hilarious and somewhat heartbreaking story about finding friends and family in the most unexpected places.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. I like it. Definitely going to watch :p:

By the way, is there any interesting film worth watching at the cinemas this Friday? :erm: I couldn't really seen anything interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheep_go_baa)
    So I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey again...my head is about to explode and I still have no bloody idea what that damned monolith is.
    Ah I meant to watch that last night, I love Kubrick's stuff! But after hearing Atmospheres by Ligeti I have a feeling it's going to scar me like the Clockwork Orange soundtrack did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Have you seen the Woman in Black and is that any good horror wise? It looked pretty creepy.

Ethan Hawke's new film Sinister also looks pretty creepy.

The Woman In Black was pretty good actually, made me scream a couple of times and I was on edge the entire film. I saw the stage play when I was 15 and it scared the crap outta me, and with this having Daniel Radcliffe I kinda expected the film to be rubbish (I've disliked most of the last couple of years of films), but it was a pleasant surprise. To hear they are making another one disappoints me, but typical Hollywood I guess!

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    That looks potentially excellent!

In other news, an original poster for Metropolis - currently the most expensive poster in film - is set to go on sale again. Anyone have about 500,000 quid to spare? :p:

Also, Alan Moore is apparently dabbling in screenwriting for the first time, working with Mitch Jenkins on a series of short films. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paandoraa)
    The Woman In Black was pretty good actually, made me scream a couple of times and I was on edge the entire film.

People screaming during films.... ;<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    People screaming during films.... ;<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Haha, I have to agree. I watched The Woman in Black at the cinema with all my female flatmates, and they all brought along scarves to hide behind. They screamed several and whimpered the whole way through, pretended I didn't know them :P

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else find Keira Knightley's smile somewhat disturbing? It's like she's got 2 sets of teeth or something :confused:

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    The Raid: Redemption is a really good action flick. It has some of the best choreographed fight scenes I've ever seen. I didn't care much for the plot though.
    It could've been pretty good if they spent as much time on the script as they did with all that choreography. Shame really... I didn't last long, my mind went numb after 20 mins. And action/adventure is probably my favourite genre.

ReputationRep:
    Ebert gave 'Ted' 3.5/4 :lolwut:

I completely forgot it was coming out soon.

ReputationRep:
    Watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory earlier, that brought back a few memories! :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    Tiny Furniture. Indie film, indie vibes. Sort of funny.

Finally saw Shawshank Redemption all the way through. Pretty good film, can see why so many IMDBians love it. It offered one of the biggest questions in cinema history though: WHAT HAPPENED TO TIM ROBBINS AFTER THAT?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.