Turn on thread page Beta

Watched Dogtooth yesterday. Bizarre, shocking and quite extraordinary, imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    Tiny Furniture. Indie film, indie vibes. Sort of funny.
    it's a really competent, reasonable film, but I found the subject matter banal and the characters asinine and unsympathetic. I should have known from the name 'tiny furniture'. perhaps i'm just old, but I found it impossible to give a single toss about their exploits.

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    Watched Dogtooth yesterday. Bizarre, shocking and quite extraordinary, imo.
    really liked this film. really excellent and you've reminded me I must watch it again sometime.

(Original post by Mister Dead)
    it's a really competent, reasonable film, but I found the subject matter banal and the characters asinine and unsympathetic. I should have known from the name 'tiny furniture'. perhaps i'm just old, but I found it impossible to give a single toss about their exploits.

really liked this film. really excellent and you've reminded me I must watch it again sometime.
    I think it's the first Greek film I've ever seen. I'd heard of Angelopoulos before, but not much else. Do you know if Lanthimos' other films are any good?

ReputationRep:
    Na, from memory it's the first i've seen. I will check though.

edit: No I haven't seen any others. I have Attenberg waiting to be watched though and that's Lanthimos isn't it.

ReputationRep:
    RZA :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Going to see the Avengers in a few days, still cant believe I haven't watched it yet, ive left it right until the last day its in the cinemas in my area to see it. Im so excited!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Note sure if it's been posted before, but it's the trailer to the next Judd Apatow project. Except it's one he's actually writen and directed, not just produced. So think more Knocked Up and The 40 Year Old Virgin rather than Drillbit Taylor or Year One.

Pretty excited.

ReputationRep:
    What happened to Judd Apatow between Freeks and Geeks and all his comedy films. F&G was amazing, but his comedy films.... less so

ReputationRep:
    I would say the films that he wrote, directed and produced were amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Well we're going to disagree about that, even though there are a couple I really enjoyed. Nothing I say will convince you that Freaks and Geeks was exceptionally good and Knocked Up and Forty Year Old Virgin, for example, were middle of the road dross!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mister Dead)
    Well we're going to disagree about that, even though there are a couple I really enjoyed. Nothing I say will convince you that Freaks and Geeks was exceptionally good and Knocked Up and Forty Year Old Virgin, for example, were middle of the road dross!
    They were both fine but as you say just middle of the road comedy that has every decent bit in the trailers.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I haven't watched either, but I was under the impression that both were very highly regarded films? :holmes: I think I made a mental note to watch Knocked Up when I found it at some point after seeing ratings/reviews somewhere...

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to these plebians :pierre:

By the way, I'm talking about 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up and Funny People. A lot of other "Judd Apatow" films are not defendable.

ReputationRep:
    Funny People is like someone got drunk, was told "Adam Sandler is rubbish, hes only capable of playing one happy-go-lucky role, he must be such a cynical hack", and then decided to make a screenplay to prove that wrong. It's brilliant, I love it.

ReputationRep:
    Knew I could count on you. It is brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    I saw funny people at the cinema and although I don't remember it too well, I do remember that it had a pretty okay first half but a fairly rubbish second half. Underwhelming.

Whenever you post, I always get the impression that you have a nostalgia led inclination towards older films, Mister Dead.

ReputationRep:
    He was nostalgic from an early age.

ReputationRep:
    Na, not really. I go to the cinema a couple of times a week and watch plenty of modern stuff. Probably only saw Freaks and Geeks around the same time as Apatow's later films.

I know you do. You just don't seem particularly receptive of modern films. It's just an observation.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.