The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Na, from memory it's the first i've seen. I will check though.

edit: No I haven't seen any others. I have Attenberg waiting to be watched though and that's Lanthimos isn't it.
(edited 11 years ago)
RZA :coma:
Going to see the Avengers in a few days, still cant believe I haven't watched it yet, ive left it right until the last day its in the cinemas in my area to see it. Im so excited!!!!!
Note sure if it's been posted before, but it's the trailer to the next Judd Apatow project. Except it's one he's actually writen and directed, not just produced. So think more Knocked Up and The 40 Year Old Virgin rather than Drillbit Taylor or Year One.

Pretty excited.

[video="youtube;gxkNuHrS6cg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxkNuHrS6cg[/video]
What happened to Judd Apatow between Freeks and Geeks and all his comedy films. F&G was amazing, but his comedy films.... less so
I would say the films that he wrote, directed and produced were amazing.
Well we're going to disagree about that, even though there are a couple I really enjoyed. Nothing I say will convince you that Freaks and Geeks was exceptionally good and Knocked Up and Forty Year Old Virgin, for example, were middle of the road dross!
Reply 6907
Original post by Mister Dead
Well we're going to disagree about that, even though there are a couple I really enjoyed. Nothing I say will convince you that Freaks and Geeks was exceptionally good and Knocked Up and Forty Year Old Virgin, for example, were middle of the road dross!

They were both fine but as you say just middle of the road comedy that has every decent bit in the trailers.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6908
I haven't watched either, but I was under the impression that both were very highly regarded films? :holmes: I think I made a mental note to watch Knocked Up when I found it at some point after seeing ratings/reviews somewhere...
Don't listen to these plebians :pierre:

By the way, I'm talking about 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up and Funny People. A lot of other "Judd Apatow" films are not defendable.
Funny People is like someone got drunk, was told "Adam Sandler is rubbish, hes only capable of playing one happy-go-lucky role, he must be such a cynical hack", and then decided to make a screenplay to prove that wrong. It's brilliant, I love it.
Knew I could count on you. It is brilliant.
I saw funny people at the cinema and although I don't remember it too well, I do remember that it had a pretty okay first half but a fairly rubbish second half. Underwhelming.
Whenever you post, I always get the impression that you have a nostalgia led inclination towards older films, Mister Dead.
He was nostalgic from an early age.
Na, not really. I go to the cinema a couple of times a week and watch plenty of modern stuff. Probably only saw Freaks and Geeks around the same time as Apatow's later films.
(edited 11 years ago)
I know you do. You just don't seem particularly receptive of modern films. It's just an observation.
Reply 6917
Watched Drive today. There is something different about this film. Maybe the slowed down half of the film? I liked it however. Must be Ryan Gosling :coma:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I know you do. You just don't seem particularly receptive of modern films. It's just an observation.

I loved 'Drive' (mentioned above). But there was a lot of 80s nostalgia in that! Although I thought it was a really excellent cinema film in most respects and saw it a few times.
Reply 6919
Original post by Mister Dead
I loved 'Drive' (mentioned above). But there was a lot of 80s nostalgia in that! Although I thought it was a really excellent cinema film in most respects and saw it a few times.

As a modern film it did surprise me, reminded me of The Town which someone on this forum suggested me to watch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending