Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ****KKK!! I clicked on the thread - I want to watch Dark Night rises but... and he spoils the whole film for me by saying
    Spoiler:
    Show
    'Batman Dies'
    ahgggggggggggggggggghhhhh!!!!!!

(Original post by CurtisDean)
    ****KKK!! I clicked on the thread - I want to watch Dark Night rises but... and he spoils the whole film for me by saying
    Spoiler:
    Show
    'Batman Dies'
    ahgggggggggggggggggghhhhh!!!!!!
    You're playing it dangerous especially considering you quoted my post up there with spoilers in it.

Seems like the thread has been removed. I'm not going to confirm or deny that but I wouldn't worry about it being spoiled for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Someone give me something good to watch.

Crime or dark comedy would be rad.
    I remember Kiss Kiss Bang Bang being pretty hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    I remember Kiss Kiss Bang Bang being pretty hilarious.

Aye, might give that a go later. Been a few years since I saw it. Stuck Harsh Times on for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Aye, might give that a go later. Been a few years since I saw it. Stuck Harsh Times on for now.
    Harsh Times has been on my watch list for a while now, been meaning to give it a watch, let me know how you find it.

I rarely watch dark comedies. I watched Memories of Murder a few weeks ago though and the first half n hour or so is pretty hilarious considering what the movies about.

ReputationRep:
    Twelve Monkeys was incredible. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)
    Twelve Monkeys was incredible. :coma:
    Definitely one of my favourite films. Good twisty plot.

ReputationRep:
    Obligatory Batman thoughts. LONG POST, be afraid:

Spoiler:
    Show

* Hathaway's performance was excellent and reminded me of classic film noir. It wasn't as like, oppressively sexy as Pfeiffer's interpretation - there were layers to her character beyond fanservice and I'm grateful they avoided making her a prostitute in favour of the decidedly Golden Age cat burglar identity (given the film's obvious debt to Frank Miller's Batman, it wouldn't have been out of place, but I never liked that aspect of Year One).

* Bane was surprisingly not inscrutable. And I thought that whole 'Stephen Fry speaking through a Vader mask' voice actually worked, if only for the contrast with how physically intimidating he was. I was frustrated at first by his seeming personal vacuity and the lack of reasoning behind his agenda - he seemed to want to blow up Gotham because 'yo, League of Shadows, blowing up Gotham is what we do' - but both were explained sufficiently by the end with the Talia reveal...

*...which, incidentally, was handled in rather clunky and perfunctory fashion. I mean beyond its value as a twist it didn't really do much. This is probably because this got spoiled to **** as soon as Cotillard was cast, but it was telegraphed that she was up to no good early on. Nobody has that much interest in new technology in a comic book film unless they're about to turn into an Octopus monster in a tragic accident/mean to use it for supervillainy.

*A lot of people have a big problem with the prison sequence. I think it's the best part of the film, both for the escape (which is, and I say this without shame despite being a massively cheesy thing to say, genuinely inspirational stuff) and for what it says about Batman's character in general, particularly that bit where creepy doctor guy mentions the absence of fear of death as a weakness. It's mentioned early on, when Alfred says something like Bruce wants to fail when he goes out as Batman, and when Bruce asks, almost pleadingly, why Bane didn't just kill him. Essentially, this serves as a kind of criticism of Batman himself in all media (who, especially in recent years, seems to operate under a cloud of solipsism and a possible death wish), asking directly how much worth there is in sacrificing your life for people if you don't value your life in the first place. When Bruce eventually understands this in prison, it's basically a personal epiphany that allows him to get the better of Bane later on (that and more hits to the face), and when he makes his final 'sacrifice', it's at a moment where he actually like WANTS to live. It represents Batman getting over his inherent 'Batmanness', which is bold as ****, and far bolder than it would have been to go for balls-out cynicism and just kill him. Batman gets a goddamn happy ending. Christ alive.

* First half is pure Knightfall, second half the last act of Dark Knight Returns. What more could you want?

*Hans Zimmer's score is excellent and used excellently. I especially enjoyed how in Hell Pit Correctional Facility Bruce kind of claimed Bane's theme for himself - has to understand him to beat him, etc.

Overall, well worth the wait. Not sure where it places in like an overall trilogy ranking situation, probably needs more time.

(Original post by Christien)
    Obligatory Batman thoughts. LONG POST, be afraid:

Spoiler:
    Show

* Hathaway's performance was excellent and reminded me of classic film noir. It wasn't as like, oppressively sexy as Pfeiffer's interpretation - there were layers to her character beyond fanservice and I'm incredibly grateful they avoided making her a prostitute in favour of the decidedly Golden Age cat burglar identity (given the film's obvious debt to Frank Miller's Batman, it wouldn't have been out of place, but I never liked that aspect of Year One).

* Bane was surprisingly not inscrutable. And I thought that whole 'Stephen Fry speaking through a Vader mask' voice actually worked, if only for the contrast with how physically intimidating he was. I was frustrated at first by his seeming personal vacuity and the lack of reasoning behind his agenda - he seemed to want to blow up Gotham because 'yo, League of Shadows, blowing up Gotham is what we do' - but both were explained sufficiently by the end with the Talia reveal...

*...which, incidentally, was handled in rather clunky and perfunctory fashion. I mean beyond its value as a twist it didn't really do much. This is probably because this got spoiled to **** as soon as Cotillard was cast, but it was telegraphed that she was up to no good early on. Nobody has that much interest in new technology in a comic book film unless they're about to turn into an Octopus monster in a tragic accident/mean to use it for supervillainy.

*A lot of people have a big problem with the prison sequence. I think it's the best part of the film, both for the escape (which is, and I say this without shame despite being a massively cheesy thing to say, genuinely inspirational stuff) and for what it says about Batman's character in general, particularly that bit where creepy doctor guy mentions the absence of fear of death as a weakness. It's mentioned early on, when Alfred says something like Bruce wants to fail when he goes out as Batman, and when Bruce asks, almost pleadingly, why Bane didn't just kill him. Basically, this serves as a kind of critique of Batman himself in all media (who, especially in recent years, seems to operate under a cloud of solipsism and a possible death wish), asking directly how much worth there is in sacrificing your life for people if you don't value your life in the first place. When Bruce eventually understands this in prison, it's basically a personal epiphany that allows him to get the better of Bane later on (that and more hits to the face), and when he makes his final 'sacrifice', it's at a moment where he actually like WANTS to live. It represents Batman getting over his inherent 'Batmanness', which is bold as ****, and far bolder than it would have been to go for balls-out cynicism and just kill him. Batman gets a goddamn happy ending. Christ alive.

* First half is pure Knightfall, second half the last act of Dark Knight Returns. What more could you want?

*Hans Zimmer's score is excellent and used excellently. I especially enjoyed how in Hell Pit Correctional Facility Bruce kind of claimed Bane's theme for himself - has to understand him to beat him, etc.

Overall, well worth the wait. Not sure where it places in like an overall trilogy ranking situation, probably needs more time.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    What were your thoughts on JGL's character and the Robin reveal?

I wasn't happy with how quickly Bane was dispatched.

I loved the prison ('Lazarus Pit') sequence too. It was removed from Gotham and the action, and it made the film so much more personal. It really allowed Bruce and Batman to develop as characters, like they did in Batman Begins and something which was missing from The Dark Knight. And yeah, that epiphany felt really fitting in moving the character forward from being strong with no fear in Batman Begins to being strong with some level of fear.

Part of why I also liked those scenes so much were the repeated attempts to climb out of the pit ('why do we fall'? - full circle), the training in between and how his emotional epiphany actually allowed him to make the jump. It was all very Rocky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    What were your thoughts on JGL's character and the Robin reveal?

I wasn't happy with how quickly Bane was dispatched.

I loved the prison ('Lazarus Pit') sequence too. It was removed from Gotham and the action, and it made the film so much more personal. It really allowed Bruce and Batman to develop as characters, like they did in Batman Begins and something which was missing from The Dark Knight. And yeah, that epiphany felt really fitting in moving the character forward from being strong with no fear in Batman Begins to being strong with some level of fear.

Part of why I also liked those scenes so much were the repeated attempts to climb out of the pit ('why do we fall'? - full circle), the training in between and how his emotional epiphany actually allowed him to make the jump. It was all very Rocky.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I really liked John Blake and his whole character arc. He was idealistic, endearing and sincere, and he was probably the most compelling character in the entire thing besides Bruce Wayne.

I don't know if I like the whole anointed heir to Batman thing. The latter two films in this trilogy spend a lot of time debunking the Batman model of heroism (TDK in particular). Though it's possible to read this film as a singular triumph for Batman (and it is, at least in terms of Bruce's development), I'd argue the final victory was an undeniably collaborative effort, and while the people of Gotham need that kind of selfless spirit, I don't know that TDK was wrong in saying they don't necessarily need that kind of hero.

'Robin' was simultaneously groanworthy (the way it was executed seemed kind of forced) and kind of appropriate. He did more or less fill the Robin role in this film, so it was okay I guess.

I didn't mind the way Bane went out. There was no way for Batman to stifle him as a threat without breaking his one rule, and another fistfight would have been a waste of time. Maybe drawing the original fight out was the answer, but I think it was so short to provide a kind of counterpoint to how easily Bane beat Batman earlier. In both fights, one combatant gets the beating of the other because they bothered to learn their opponent's tricks and weaknesses. By the time of the climax, Batman has legitimate will to live, and has discerned a weakness- the face mask - that, as Batman, he was always going to exploit viciously and remorselessly (note the amount of face punches compared to their earlier fight). I wouldn't expect it to be a long affair after that.

Also, it reminded me of the fight with the mutant leader in The Dark Knight Returns, and that just makes me...all kinds of happy.

Ha, I didn't catch 'Lazarus Pit'. The fear thing works on so many levels. Like, Batman's used it as a weapon in every incarnation, and the power of fear was a huge theme of the first film, but it was always about instilling it in others more than accepting it as an internal motivating force like. The prison sequence was at least partially about that. It was incredibly Rocky. In truth, I would have liked a better sense of the passage of time, but that's more a nitpick than anything else.

'Why Do We Fall' was a great callback. That moment when Bruce made the jump and the music swelled was probably the single most evocative moment in the entire thing for me.

Also I feel it would be incredibly remiss, in all this half-baked analysis of mine, to not mention the sheer coolness of it. Like uh, the second 'permission to die' line, for example. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Is Good Will Hunting always on iPlayer?

I don't often use iPlayer but I swear it's always there.

ReputationRep:
    Won't be seeing The Dark Knight Rises until Wednesday. If I get spoiled before then...

ReputationRep:
    The Dark Knight Rises is certainly not perfect and I don't think it's quite on the same level as the second film (maybe that is because feels like a very different film) but it's still a fantastic film! :yep:

A few of the problems I had with audio: I really thought the soundtrack dominated this film too much - the point where it drowned out dialogue, and Bane was perfectly audible in some scenes whilst being completely incomprehensible in other scenes.

As for specific scenes:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The film did a pretty effective job of showing an aged hero and the physical vulnerability of Bruce. The pit, 'deshi basara' music and the repeated attempts to climb it with training intervals in between was brilliant. There were slightly too many flashbacks but I think they paid off really well. I really did think the kid was Bane though I could see the Talia twist coming a mile away. I was not pleased with Bane's 'demise' however, it was too quick for a villain who had so much presence in the film.

I loved the cafe scene with Alfred, actually most scenes with Alfred, I think most of the emotional parts of the film really came through that character.

Not sure what I think of the Robin twist though. The character was very much set up to be a Robin/Batman with his background, understanding of Bruce/Batman, dislike of guns after shooting those two men and then the resignation from the force. It may have been better if he had just taken up the mantle of Batman - since the theme always seems to be that anybody really can be behind the mask.
    :dontknow: I think TDK is a better film purely because of the genius of Heath Ledger in that film, but TDKR has everything else.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Yes, I wasn't too content with Robin to be honest. I think throughout the series, they've talked about Batman being a symbol, not just a man so once Wayne 'died', it would've made sense for Blake to pick up the mantle as Batman rather than be Robin.

I loved Anne's complexity in this role, she wasn't just some burglar; there was a lot more to her in the film than I would've thought. And her on the pod :drool:

Definitely agree with the prison and I think the flashback when he sees Ra's al Ghul was really intense. :yep:

I think that was the only way to get rid of Bayne and finish off the story. He shed a tear :eek: These small kinds of details really added so much more to the film because we see that he isn't just a shallow villain who wants to destroy.

Talia-I think she was a waste of a character. :erm: Although I don't think it had a notable negative impact on the film, I didn't think there was any benefit either. It could have been Bane doing all this stuff as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Won't be seeing The Dark Knight Rises until Wednesday. If I get spoiled before then...
    Stay off of Facebook, twitter, etc...

(Original post by Christien)
    Spoiler:
    Show

I really liked John Blake and his whole character arc. He was idealistic, endearing and sincere, and he was probably the most compelling character in the entire thing besides Bruce Wayne.

I don't know if I like the whole anointed heir to Batman thing. The latter two films in this trilogy spend a lot of time debunking the Batman model of heroism (TDK in particular). Though it's possible to read this film as a singular triumph for Batman (and it is, at least in terms of Bruce's development), I'd argue the final victory was an undeniably collaborative effort, and while the people of Gotham need that kind of selfless spirit, I don't know that TDK was wrong in saying they don't necessarily need that kind of hero.

'Robin' was simultaneously groanworthy (the way it was executed seemed kind of forced) and kind of appropriate. He did more or less fill the Robin role in this film, so it was okay I guess.

I didn't mind the way Bane went out. There was no way for Batman to stifle him as a threat without breaking his one rule, and another fistfight would have been a waste of time. Maybe drawing the original fight out was the answer, but I think it was so short to provide a kind of counterpoint to how easily Bane beat Batman earlier. In both fights, one combatant gets the beating of the other because they bothered to learn their opponent's tricks and weaknesses. By the time of the climax, Batman has legitimate will to live, and has discerned a weakness- the face mask - that, as Batman, he was always going to exploit viciously and remorselessly (note the amount of face punches compared to their earlier fight). I wouldn't expect it to be a long affair after that.

Also, it reminded me of the fight with the mutant leader in The Dark Knight Returns, and that just makes me...all kinds of happy.

Ha, I didn't catch 'Lazarus Pit'. The fear thing works on so many levels. Like, Batman's used it as a weapon in every incarnation, and the power of fear was a huge theme of the first film, but it was always about instilling it in others more than accepting it as an internal motivating force like. The prison sequence was at least partially about that. It was incredibly Rocky. In truth, I would have liked a better sense of the passage of time, but that's more a nitpick than anything else.

'Why Do We Fall' was a great callback. That moment when Bruce made the jump and the music swelled was probably the single most evocative moment in the entire thing for me.

Also I feel it would be incredibly remiss, in all this half-baked analysis of mine, to not mention the sheer coolness of it. Like uh, the second 'permission to die' line, for example. :coma:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think a lot of it came down to Bruce seeing Blake as a reflection of himself - the whole arc of having lost his parents, venting his anger through Batman and wearing a mask to the outside world. That's what Blake was and it ended on the idea that it could really be anyone under that mask. The thing that detracted it from me was that Blake would make a terrible Batman. He doesn't have the resources or training. The character actually seems to be an amalgamation of different Robin characters - one was an orphan and deduced Batman's identity etc.

On reflection, I'm having mixed thoughts about the effectiveness of Bane. He was an absolute powerhouse which came across not only in his fight with Batman and general brute force against random Gotham people. But I think he managed to convey a lot of his character through his eyes and motions given most of his face is covered with that mask. I don't think his intellect came across particularly well though. He's meant to be an extremely intelligent villain and for the most part, the Talia reveal undermined that - reducing him to a brutish lovesick henchman of sorts - though I guess you could say there is a parallel with Bruce and Rachel. There was no real display of him providing Batman with a mental challenge as well as a physical one either. Everything that happened seemed to be largely channelled by decent preparation by Talia, and she had years to prepare.

That's a good point about Batman really exploiting Bane's weakness. But it did feel really sudden. There should have been more expansion, even a death scene with Bane. All the villains have gotten some 'final moments before death' scenes in the previous films. Bane's death was just too abrupt. He's hit by the shot and that's pretty much the end of that.

The second 'permission to die' was great. Again, more full circle as it dates back to when Batman repeats the 'mind your surroundings' line to Ra's. The breaking of the Bat mask and Bane mask was mirrored too. If not for the Dent parts, this film could actually be viewed as a straight up sequel to Batman Begins with The Dark Knight just being a unrelated chapter in Batman's career. There are so many things with tie directly with Batman Begins: plot threads, quotes, themes and ideas, I mean even Talia crashes like her father in a moving vehicle on the way to deliver an explosion.

On a last note, we talked about how good the prison/pit scenes were (deshi deshi basara basara). But the last 10 minutes of this film really elevated this film. :sogood: Alfred had the best scenes in this film. The final monologue of bringing several threads together and ending on an emotional note - it's signature Nolan and mirrored in films like The Prestige, Inception and The Dark Knight.

Bruce would have gotten away with bouncing that rubber ball from The Prestige at Alfred in the end. :pierre:

(Original post by Revent)
    :dontknow: I think TDK is a better film purely because of the genius of Heath Ledger in that film, but TDKR has everything else.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Yes, I wasn't too content with Robin to be honest. I think throughout the series, they've talked about Batman being a symbol, not just a man so once Wayne 'died', it would've made sense for Blake to pick up the mantle as Batman rather than be Robin.

I loved Anne's complexity in this role, she wasn't just some burglar; there was a lot more to her in the film than I would've thought. And her on the pod :drool:

Definitely agree with the prison and I think the flashback when he sees Ra's al Ghul was really intense. :yep:

I think that was the only way to get rid of Bayne and finish off the story. He shed a tear :eek: These small kinds of details really added so much more to the film because we see that he isn't just a shallow villain who wants to destroy.

Talia-I think she was a waste of a character. :erm: Although I don't think it had a notable negative impact on the film, I didn't think there was any benefit either. It could have been Bane doing all this stuff as well.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I missed the part where he shed a tear, damn. I was actually quite surprised they showed him without the mask/before the mask in that flashback.

Exactly. We are told that Talia planned everything but really, in the end, she stabs Batman - which does nothing in the grand scheme of things, fails to detonate the bomb and crashes in the truck after 4 minutes. I'd have preferred it if Bane had been the mastermind behind the whole thing. We have the emotional drawn out story of how Bane supposedly overcame the pit and climbed out of it to be 'born again' and Bruce went through the same journey so he could emerge an equal. And then we find out it was Talia and Bane is really just a glorified henchman.

ReputationRep:
    TLDR about TDKR

Spoilers abound.

Spoiler:
    Show

If it wasn't for Toy Story, this could possibly be the best trilogy of all time. I need time and a rewatch of all the films to decide, maybe because I'm still stunned by the film, which shows the greatest triumph of a superhero captured on film. I know there have been bigger things at stake, recently the Avengers saved the world (AKA New York) from an alien invasion, but this felt a lot more tense, a lot more was at stake. Probably due to caring for the characters a lot more than in the Avengers. Not that I didn;t care for them, but I care a lot more for the like of Lucius Fox than Hawkeye.

Characters: The fall of Batman was done to near perfection and when being destroyed by Bane, he looked like a hollow shell of an old man, never mind this icon. The pit scenes were done incredibly well, though I wonder why anybody decided to help. It was inspirational or aspirational or something, but Bruce climbing out of the Pit (Lazarus or otherwise) was fantastic. Hans Zimmer helped out a lot with that. Alfred was probably the emotional core of this, by Bruce's grave, you could truly see that he thought he failed...but that doesn't last very long does it? Bane was a great villain, despite his voice seeming incredibly silly in the plane scene, he was fantastic, but the final act gave him a severe case of Enemy Weakening (as TV Tropes calls it [I think]). Seemed to be beaten far too easily by Batman and wasn't even the main guy. That goes to Talia, who's reveal came from miles away, just about after she came on the floor of Wayne Manor.

JGL did very well as this guy with hope. A great addition to the cast and a reminder of what Detective Gordon was and still should've been before his lie towards the city. It's a "greater good" type of lie, but it did highlight how devious it was. It backfired on him greatly anyway. Fantastic callback to the first film when saying his goodbyes to Batman and talking about heroism.

Never thought I'd say these words: Anne Hathaway stole the show. Was terrific, every scene she completely domianted. Glad she wasn't a cold hearted villain, but not some soppy women who has to be swept up by Batman. She is clearly her own person, despite her being with Bruce in Florence bla bla bla. All the "love" in this film was rushed to all hell anyway. She didn't steal it as much as Heath Ledger did previously, but she had less scenes and well...who the **** is going to top that Joker.

Don't know what to think about the HEAVY political message in this film. Or if I agree with it. Or if I've even got it right. BUT...a big tough evil guy beats up all the rich people and gives the power to the people with a bomb that's going to kill them, only to be stopped by a rich guy with some not so rich people, but mainly the rich guy does the heavy lifting and the heavy sacrifice. For a while anyway. Read into it what you will.

PLOTHOLES. Yeah, whatever.

Loved this film. It's actually an incredibly brave film. I mean, Batman is barely in the thing, which isn't what you'd expect from the finale of a big blockbuster trilogy. Also has a message, an emotional heart, a dark side. Man.

Good luck rebooters.

I liked it.

ReputationRep:
    I loved The Dark Knight Rises! I actually think it's the best film of the trilogy, it was certainly on a whole new level to the other two. :yep:

Anne Hathaway as Catwoman! :coma:

Spoiler:
    Show
    What was the deal with Bane's voice, though? If you're going to have an actor doing the voice of a villain, at least try and make it a tiny bit scary. I found myself literally rolling on the floor in stitches every time he 'spoke'. :rofl: Was it Patrick Stewart who was voicing him? olmes:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think a lot of it came down to Bruce seeing Blake as a reflection of himself - the whole arc of having lost his parents, venting his anger through Batman and wearing a mask to the outside world. That's what Blake was and it ended on the idea that it could really be anyone under that mask. The thing that detracted it from me was that Blake would make a terrible Batman. He doesn't have the resources or training. The character actually seems to be an amalgamation of different Robin characters - one was an orphan and deduced Batman's identity etc.

On reflection, I'm having mixed thoughts about the effectiveness of Bane. He was an absolute powerhouse which came across not only in his fight with Batman and general brute force against random Gotham people. But I think he managed to convey a lot of his character through his eyes and motions given most of his face is covered with that mask. I don't think his intellect came across particularly well though. He's meant to be an extremely intelligent villain and for the most part, the Talia reveal undermined that - reducing him to a brutish lovesick henchman of sorts - though I guess you could say there is a parallel with Bruce and Rachel. There was no real display of him providing Batman with a mental challenge as well as a physical one either. Everything that happened seemed to be largely channelled by decent preparation by Talia, and she had years to prepare.

That's a good point about Batman really exploiting Bane's weakness. But it did feel really sudden. There should have been more expansion, even a death scene with Bane. All the villains have gotten some 'final moments before death' scenes in the previous films. Bane's death was just too abrupt. He's hit by the shot and that's pretty much the end of that.

The second 'permission to die' was great. Again, more full circle as it dates back to when Batman repeats the 'mind your surroundings' line to Ra's. The breaking of the Bat mask and Bane mask was mirrored too. If not for the Dent parts, this film could actually be viewed as a straight up sequel to Batman Begins with The Dark Knight just being a unrelated chapter in Batman's career. There are so many things with tie directly with Batman Begins: plot threads, quotes, themes and ideas, I mean even Talia crashes like her father in a moving vehicle on the way to deliver an explosion.

On a last note, we talked about how good the prison/pit scenes were (deshi deshi basara basara). But the last 10 minutes of this film really elevated this film. :sogood: Alfred had the best scenes in this film. The final monologue of bringing several threads together and ending on an emotional note - it's signature Nolan and mirrored in films like The Prestige, Inception and The Dark Knight.

Bruce would have gotten away with bouncing that rubber ball from The Prestige at Alfred in the end. :pierre:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I missed the part where he shed a tear, damn. I was actually quite surprised they showed him without the mask/before the mask in that flashback.

Exactly. We are told that Talia planned everything but really, in the end, she stabs Batman - which does nothing in the grand scheme of things, fails to detonate the bomb and crashes in the truck after 4 minutes. I'd have preferred it if Bane had been the mastermind behind the whole thing. We have the emotional drawn out story of how Bane supposedly overcame the pit and climbed out of it to be 'born again' and Bruce went through the same journey so he could emerge an equal. And then we find out it was Talia and Bane is really just a glorified henchman.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It was right at the end when we find out that Miranda is Talia. Or maybe I'm mistaken, but I am pretty sure it was a tear drop Talia was completely useless in this film and not needed. I think she was added to make sense to the comics because Ra's Al Ghul had a daughter, not a son. I don't think 99% of people would have cared though if the film just made Bane the son, would've turned out better at least.

(Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    I loved The Dark Knight Rises! I actually think it's the best film of the trilogy, it was certainly on a whole new level to the other two. :yep:

Anne Hathaway as Catwoman! :coma:

Spoiler:
    Show
    What was the deal with Bane's voice, though? If you're going to have an actor doing the voice of a villain, at least try and make it a tiny bit scary. I found myself literally rolling on the floor in stitches every time he 'spoke'. :rofl: Was it Patrick Stewart who was voicing him? olmes:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I thought his voice was a bit intimidating because it was just so calm.

(Original post by Colonel.)
    TLDR about TDKR

Spoilers abound.

Spoiler:
    Show

If it wasn't for Toy Story, this could possibly be the best trilogy of all time. I need time and a rewatch of all the films to decide, maybe because I'm still stunned by the film, which shows the greatest triumph of a superhero captured on film. I know there have been bigger things at stake, recently the Avengers saved the world (AKA New York) from an alien invasion, but this felt a lot more tense, a lot more was at stake. Probably due to caring for the characters a lot more than in the Avengers. Not that I didn;t care for them, but I care a lot more for the like of Lucius Fox than Hawkeye.

Characters: The fall of Batman was done to near perfection and when being destroyed by Bane, he looked like a hollow shell of an old man, never mind this icon. The pit scenes were done incredibly well, though I wonder why anybody decided to help. It was inspirational or aspirational or something, but Bruce climbing out of the Pit (Lazarus or otherwise) was fantastic. Hans Zimmer helped out a lot with that. Alfred was probably the emotional core of this, by Bruce's grave, you could truly see that he thought he failed...but that doesn't last very long does it? Bane was a great villain, despite his voice seeming incredibly silly in the plane scene, he was fantastic, but the final act gave him a severe case of Enemy Weakening (as TV Tropes calls it [I think]). Seemed to be beaten far too easily by Batman and wasn't even the main guy. That goes to Talia, who's reveal came from miles away, just about after she came on the floor of Wayne Manor.

JGL did very well as this guy with hope. A great addition to the cast and a reminder of what Detective Gordon was and still should've been before his lie towards the city. It's a "greater good" type of lie, but it did highlight how devious it was. It backfired on him greatly anyway. Fantastic callback to the first film when saying his goodbyes to Batman and talking about heroism.

Never thought I'd say these words: Anne Hathaway stole the show. Was terrific, every scene she completely domianted. Glad she wasn't a cold hearted villain, but not some soppy women who has to be swept up by Batman. She is clearly her own person, despite her being with Bruce in Florence bla bla bla. All the "love" in this film was rushed to all hell anyway. She didn't steal it as much as Heath Ledger did previously, but she had less scenes and well...who the **** is going to top that Joker.

Don't know what to think about the HEAVY political message in this film. Or if I agree with it. Or if I've even got it right. BUT...a big tough evil guy beats up all the rich people and gives the power to the people with a bomb that's going to kill them, only to be stopped by a rich guy with some not so rich people, but mainly the rich guy does the heavy lifting and the heavy sacrifice. For a while anyway. Read into it what you will.

PLOTHOLES. Yeah, whatever.

Loved this film. It's actually an incredibly brave film. I mean, Batman is barely in the thing, which isn't what you'd expect from the finale of a big blockbuster trilogy. Also has a message, an emotional heart, a dark side. Man.

Good luck rebooters.

I liked it.
    Topping Heath Ledger is just silly talk obviously

Spoiler:
    Show
    Was that actually a political message?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revent)

Spoiler:
    Show
    Was that actually a political message?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It's quite similar to Occupy Wall Street

ReputationRep:
    Erm. Anybody watched REC 3? I am not sure if it is a joke or did they just try to bring in some comedy?

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.