Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    Ah, well I'm glad I could help you make some sense of it then. Bright Star is the Keats film, aye? Although I respect his work, I never got that into him. Ben Whishaw's a fine actor though.
    Yep, it's the one about Keats. I don't really know anything about him, I just thought it looked like a potentially interesting film. I also have a little soft spot for period dramas

I do love Ben Whishaw though, absolutely adored him in Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Scott Pilgrim is a fantastic piece of filmmaking. Regardless of what you think of the film you have to admire the skill that went into directing it (in a similar vein to appreciating that the editing in 127 Hours was done with a lot of talent, even if you didn't like the film).

I haven't read the source material but your criticisms of it in that respect certainly seem to be in the minority compared to other people I've spoken to. Indeed some people told me that pretty much the first half of the film is just a direct translation of the book. As a newcomer all of the characters felt perfectly fleshed out though. It was one of my favourite films of last year, and definitely think that it was the best directed film of the year.

I like all three of his features so far so I wouldn't call any of them bad, but while Scott Pilgrim may not be as good of a film as the Pegg-Frost collaborations it certainly feels like the most directed, and from that point of view I'd say it's his best work so far.
    Absolutely agree. I've read the comics and loved them, and while I actually prefer the story in the comics, I feel that Wright could not have done a better job of translating them to film.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched Synecdoche, New York. Wow, that was depressing and confusing.

I think I just fail at 'getting'' all Charlie Kaufman films other than Eternal Sunshine

Green Lantern won over a skeptical crowd with hot new footage of superhero space opera action last night. Warner Bros. uploaded four minutes of new scenes, a condensed and edited version of what we saw yesterday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Ooooohh. It does look good.

I notice that they haven't included the Guardians of the Universe - the creators of the Corps.

This is probably because they are hilarious blue midgets.

ReputationRep:
    Hm, not sure what to make of it. Don't think I'll like rent-a-villain Mark Strong as Sinestro, but I haven't seen nearly enough to judge. Good to see Temuera Morrison getting work.

ReputationRep:
    So tired, long saturday. Feel like just sitting back and watching whatever half decent film's on

*Wanted is on, gonna watch a bit of that

ReputationRep:
    Watching Monsters. Really enjoyable and everything but goddam the woman is hot :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seanisonfire)
    Watching Monsters. Really enjoyable and everything but goddam the woman is hot :sogood:
    Yeah Whitney Able is incredibly attractive. Monsters I think is a really underrated film.

(Original post by Jace Falco)
    Ooooohh. It does look good.

I notice that they haven't included the Guardians of the Universe - the creators of the Corps.

This is probably because they are hilarious blue midgets.
    Like mini Yodas? :awesome:

That thing that killed the first Lantern, and you see ravaging around in the city in the later part of the video - is that the monster you called Parallax?

ReputationRep:
    Monsters was good, slow-paced and not your conventional sort of alien invasion monster film and It > Skyline, just putting that out there

(Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Monsters was good, slow-paced and not your conventional sort of alien invasion monster film and It > Skyline, just putting that out there
    Films like Monsters and to a much greater extent, Moon are brilliant recent examples of why you don't need to have a big budget to have a good film (though sadly, they don't tend to make that much in terms of revenue*). Though with bigger budget films, the budget alone tends to add significantly to overall success. Monsters is particularly noticeable since it came out in the same time frame as Skyline with the same premise but better execution and ultimately, to a better reception.

Should make more films like Moon (and Source Code). Good things to come from Duncan Jones.

*Contrary example: Blair Witch Project with a budget of $500,000-$750,000 and gross revenue of $248,639,099.

ReputationRep:
    Films like Monsters and to a much greater extent, Moon are brilliant recent examples of why you don't need to have a big budget to have a good film (though sadly, they don't tend to make that much in terms of revenue*). Though with bigger budget films, the budget alone tends to add significantly to overall success. Monsters is particularly noticeable since it came out in the same time frame as Skyline with the same premise but better execution and ultimately, to a better reception.

Should make more films like Moon (and Source Code). Good things to come from Duncan Jones.

*Contrary example: Blair Witch Project with a budget of $500,000-$750,000 and gross revenue of $248,639,099.
    Yup agreed, great examples of that actually, Skyline flopped as well xD and it was just bad

I was shocked at how little Monsters cost - also add Paranormal activity to the list (I think it's the most profitable film ever, just cos of how much it managed to gross compared to its' budget, maybe even more than the Blair Witch Project ok maybe not looking at its' gross revenue)

speaking of box office flops, there's a film that grossed like $100 cos it got released in like 1 or 2 cinemas', I'll link it when I find the name

ReputationRep:
    Whitney Able aye....*adds to the stalk list*

Any more sci fi films like Cloverfield/Moon/Monsters about? Less bang bang more ':holmes:'? Though I didn't think Moon was that great tbh.

Any more sci fi films like Cloverfield/Moon/Monsters about? Less bang bang more ':holmes:'? Though I didn't think Moon was that great tbh.
    Should definitely check out Donnie Darko, Primer and to some extent, Equilibrium.

ReputationRep:

Transformers.

ReputationRep:
    Should definitely check out Donnie Darko, Primer and to some extent, Equilibrium.
    Love Donnie, will check out Primer....Equilibrium :indiff:

Transformers. :rofl:

(Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    I was shocked at how little Monsters cost - also add Paranormal activity to the list (I think it's the most profitable film ever, just cos of how much it managed to gross compared to its' budget, maybe even more than the Blair Witch Project ok maybe not looking at its' gross revenue)

speaking of box office flops, there's a film that grossed like $100 cos it got released in like 1 or 2 cinemas', I'll link it when I find the name
    Ah yeah, Paranormal Activity... now they are milking it. Getting bored of doors creaking and closing.

I know a film that grossed very low - Pimp grossed like £205. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Transformers. :rofl:

Ah yeah, Paranormal Activity... now they are milking it. Getting bored of doors creaking and closing.

I know a film that grossed very low - Pimp grossed like £205. :mmm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zyzzyx_Road

30 bucks! But, when you hire Tom Sizemore, what do you expect? :teehee:

Love Donnie, will check out Primer....Equilibrium :indiff:
    Equilibrium is underrated. It may be over the top, but films are lacking in the dystopian genre, and it's not that bad compared to the others. Pretty good, in my opinion. Primer is a lot of ':holmes:' and may be hard to follow. Another two films that I've just remembered are Los Cronocrímenes and Frequently Asked Questions about Time Travel. The latter is a science fiction comedy but still has some intelligence behind it.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.