Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

ReputationRep:
    I've recently watched after two or three years lot of 50'-60'-70' movies. Coold Hand Luke, Bullit, Papillon, The Sting, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Graduate, Alfie and many others more. What a great, great, great masterpieces, all of them! Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, Robert Redford, Dustin Hoffman, Michael Caine... Actors! Today what we have? Who's gonna replace them??? Maybe DiCaprio, Seymour Hoffman and who else? Today i've watched The Constant Gardener, a great Ralph Fiennes! One of the last that i really liked was - Befor the devil knows you're dead - great duo ethan hawke and Hoffman! That's all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    Good thing you weren't hired to help out then :awesome:
    If I was there, this project wouldn't have even made it to the point of discussion as a viable film :p: But alas, I'm not.

By the way, loving the avatar and sig. (Die hard One Piece fan, love it almost half as much as I love The Dark Knight trilogy)

(Original post by Revent)
    I don't see how a Superman film can actually be good in any sense other than the CGI :erm:
    He's not a particularly interesting character being so overpowered but it could work as a origin story with a more human emphasis to the character.

(Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Just finished watching Fight Club. Good film. :yep:
    Have you watched Fincher's other films? You should make your way through his catalogue. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    He's not a particularly interesting character being so overpowered
    I expected better from you.

What was wrong with 'Superman Returns'?

From a "film critic's" point of view, I mean.

ReputationRep:
    I like Superman Returns bar the whole Lex Luthor/new continent ****. I thought Brandon Iforgethissurname was a good Superman/Clark Kent and the love story was good. The plane scene :coma:

What we need is a ****ing Superman film where he gets to ****ing punch something.

Huh, I thought the general consensus in this thread was that it sucked, my bad.

Not a fan of Superman, but, I mean, he doesn't offend me in the way he seems to offend some people. He aite.

ReputationRep:
    He's not a particularly interesting character being so overpowered but it could work as a origin story with a more human emphasis to the character.

Have you watched Fincher's other films? You should make your way through his catalogue. :yep:
    Not too sure I have really, any suggestions for next viewings?

I've just realised the plot similarities between the third Batman film and the third Rocky film. Nolan obviously a fan.

(Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Not too sure I have really, any suggestions for next viewings?
    Give Se7en, Zodiac and The Social Network a go.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched Cowboys & Aliens. Wasn't that great. First 20 or so minutes were pretty decent with Daniel Craig being all badass and beating people up....but then it slowly went downhill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Just watched Cowboys & Aliens. Wasn't that great. First 20 or so minutes were pretty decent with Daniel Craig being all badass and beating people up....but then it slowly went downhill.
    Yeah, those 20 minutes :coma:

It's the only film I can think of where Sam Rockwell is utter **** and subdued.

(Original post by Delta Aitch)
    What was wrong with 'Superman Returns'?

From a "film critic's" point of view, I mean.
    Blank souless Superman. Not asking for a multi-layered character but some conflict or development would be nice. You could take a clean shaven Giorgio Armani model as Superman, ask him to write his own lines and achieve the same result. All he does in the film is smile, say 'Lois' a couple of times and look good as the wind blows his finely combed hair and cape behind him (product placement: clearly an advert for men's aftershave). Lex Luthor is a terrible villain and a complete misuse of Kevin Spacey's talent. He might be smart but his only way of ever standing up to Superman is waving a shiny green crystal in his face and even then, he still gets his ass kicked. Then there was the dreadful plot about real estate. I really liked the plane sequence though and the part where he lands on the Kryponite continent and proceeds to get beat up by Lex's goons - that display of human vulnerability.

I'm not really into comics and this isn't restricted to Superman Returns but I've also never been able to get over the fact that Lois Lane, investigative reporter extraordinaire, cannot tell the difference between Clark Kent and Superman when all the former does is don some geeky looking glasses. It makes her quite possibly the dumbest character in fiction.

(sorry Colonel).

(Original post by Deshi)
    I agree. That also happens to be the point where the aliens first show up, could have been a really good film if it was strictly a Western. On the subject of Westerns, we have Lawless (Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman and Guy Pearce) and Django Unchained (Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Christoph Waltz) this year. :coma:

I hope Shia LaBeouf doesn't **** this up.

Blank souless Superman. Not asking for a multi-layered character but some conflict or development would be nice. You could take a clean shaven Giorgio Armani model as Superman, ask him to write his own lines and achieve the same result. All he does in the film is smile, say 'Lois' a couple of times and look good as the wind blows his finely combed hair and cape behind him (product placement: clearly an advert for men's aftershave). Lex Luthor is a terrible villain and a complete misuse of Kevin Spacey's talent. He might be smart but his only way of ever standing up to Superman is waving a shiny green crystal in his face and even then, he still gets his ass kicked. Then there was the dreadful plot about real estate. I really liked the plane sequence though and the part where he lands on the Kryponite continent and proceeds to get beat up by Lex's goons - that display of human vulnerability.

I'm not really into comics and this isn't restricted to Superman Returns but I've also never been able to get over the fact that Lois Lane, investigative reporter extraordinaire, cannot tell the difference between Clark Kent and Superman when all the former does is don some geeky looking glasses. It makes her quite possibly the dumbest character in fiction.

(sorry Colonel).

I agree. That also happens to be the point where the aliens first show up, could have been a really good film if it was strictly a Western. On the subject of Westerns, we have Lawless (Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman and Guy Pearce) and Django Unchained (Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Christoph Waltz) this year. :coma:

I hope Shia LaBeouf doesn't **** this up.
    Lawless isn't very good, apparently. According to the reports coming out of Cannes, anyway.

On the subject of upcoming ensemble cast action films, I don't think I've seen this mentioned on here yet:

Gangster Squad, featuring Sean Penn, Ryan Gosling, Josh Brolin, Nick Nolte and Emma Stone. Don't know how good the movie itself will be, but Sean Penn looks quite fantastic in that trailer. :holmes:

(sorry Colonel).
    I... don't think I agree with that. I mean, you could say the same about Bruce Wayne/Batman and Peter Parker/Spider-man. It's the whole point of the comics, ain't it? Regular (billionaire) Joe by day; kick-ass superhero by night.

But no, I can agree that Superman has to be one of the least interesting superheroes out there, he's pretty much invincible and thus has no real... development. I don't actually remember much about 'Superman Returns' except for how beautiful both Brandon Routh and Kate Bosworth looked - which speaks volumes, considering I saw that before Superman Returns and yet I still remember dialogue from it. Still, Man of Steel looks like it will be good (I liked Watchmen, afterall).

I... don't think I agree with that. I mean, you could say the same about Bruce Wayne/Batman and Peter Parker/Spider-man. It's the whole point of the comics, ain't it? Regular (billionaire) Joe by day; kick-ass superhero by night.
    They both have fairly concealing masks, though. The point was that all Kent does to protect his identity is put on glasses and tousle his hair a bit. :p:

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    They both have fairly concealing masks, though. The point was that all Kent does to protect his identity is put on glasses and tousle his hair a bit. :p:
    Lool, well, okay I get that. But I mean, Peter Parker doesn't bother to conceal his voice like Batman does, and Batman's mask doesn't cover the bottom of his face. Seeing that they both interact with some of the same people as both the 'hero' and as their regular selves, it's a bit ridiculous to think very few people figure it out.

The Clark Kent/Superman deal is just a magnified version of this. Also, you know, Superman is meant to be Clark Kent's polar opposite in terms of personality. So, even if people did suspect, they would likely not fully believe they are the same person because it just seems impossible.

But no, I can agree that Superman has to be one of the least interesting superheroes out there, he's pretty much invincible and thus has no real... development. I don't actually remember much about 'Superman Returns' except for how beautiful both Brandon Routh and Kate Bosworth looked - which speaks volumes, considering I saw that before Superman Returns and yet I still remember dialogue from it. Still, Man of Steel looks like it will be good (I liked Watchmen, afterall).
    Yeah but if Bruce Wayne put on glasses, he'd still look like Bruce Wayne. He's a decades old fictional character and Batman/Spider-man do suffer from similar flaws (as you've said above) but the huge gap in logic still annoys me.

(I liked Watchmen too).

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    Green Lantern gets it:

Green Lantern - what a disappointing film; I didn't even manage to get past the first half hour

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit late, but saw TDKR Saturday, going again tomorrow and Thursday () and just wanted to give my two cents..

Warning, long. TL;DR = I loved it, obvs.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Um. Wow?

A bit of background - I loved Dark Knight as much as everyone else, but actually preferred Batman Begins. Not an attempt to be hipster, I just liked the more character driven, slightly lower-scale approach of BB. Plus Liam Neeson :coma:

So naturally I was delighted with TDKR. There has been a few minor story issues with it which I think are relevant:

1. Not convinced by Blake's reasoning that Bruce = Batman. Bit contrived.
    2. How did Fox know Bruce fixed the autopilot? What Batwing were they examining? Didn't it blow up in the explosion?
    3. Pretty sure the Batwing wasn't 6 miles away from Gotham when it blew. But that's prob just an editorial issue.

Even despite all these, TDKR was one of my most enjoyable film experiences in years. My brother said it was the most fun he's had in a movie since Return of the King, and I don't think he's far wrong. I had a lot of fun in Inception too, but TDKR reminded my why I love movies.

It was highly entertaining and hugely emotional. Alfred breaking down to the Wayne headstones at the end had me choked up a bit (best Michael Caine performance in decades btw..). I was terrified of Bane. I was rooting for Batman. And ultimately I forgot it was a comic book film and these characters were larger than life. It felt real.

Despite it's minor story issues then, and no matter how 'objectively good' it was in comparison to TDK, I had an absolute blast and am going to see it (at least) 2 more times in the cinema. Man I love movies.

The only thing that pulled me out of it for a second was right near the end when Batman had Bane pinned and was shouting "WHERE'S THE TRIGGERRRRRR?! THE TRIGGER?!" In classic Bale Batman voice. I was laughing, which I'm not sure is the ideal response..

Incidentally, did anyone else in that scene get a Return of the Jedi vibe? The way it was directed and shot was very similar.

Ignore the hilarious harmonica :rofl:

EDIT: Oh and another thing..

Spoiler:
    Show
    Couldn't help but think of this..

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Really enjoyed TDKR last night, TDK is still my favourite though.

As for the Superman discussion...

I find that as a superhero he is too 'one note' - he punches things until they stop attacking him or he punches them harder whilst flying. He might even drop something on them. There really isn't much else to him. His rogues gallery is pretty terrible as well, without Darkseid, Doomsday or Zod, he just outmatches everyone physically.

The Kryptonite and generic power nerfing of superman across a single film annoys me as there is absolutely no consistency. It should be established pretty early on in the films what his physically limitations are as well as whether he can feel physical pain etc. The kryptonite annoyance stems from when he gets in pain from being within 10 feet of a tiny shard but can then lift an island created out of it...

As for the trailer itself, the part where he is hitching could easily be BB :rofl2: I was expecting it to be terrible due to the director but it looks like he might have stopped doing his gimmicks and trying to make a decent film. I do still expect ridiculous amounts of slowdown during the actual film though.

---------

Does anyone else (despite it being a remake) think the Total Recall trailer gave too much away? And looks like it is giving too big a role to the 'wife' just so we can see more of the lovely Beckinsale?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.