Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Did you like it? I thought it was a fairly decent film overall, but the ending was pretty effective for me (stylistically, maybe?) and left me a bit shaken. :o: For much of it, though, I wasn't sure the (deliberate) contradiction between style and content worked especially well. I think NWR was going for a A Clockwork Orange sort of atmosphere, and I don't think he quite pulled it off.

I did! I found it scarily funny... I felt myself laughing at a lot of points and thinking "should I be laughing right now?". I agree though the style is really effective for leaving an impression but I also wasn't totally convinced. I thought it was going to go a bit deeper than it did and I felt the scenes were a bit repetitive? Tom Hardy was definitely great in it though, I can't really fault him.

Also, to answer your earlier post, I really liked Tyrannosaur. What didn't you like about the rape scene? I suppose it might have worked if done a bit differently. If I was directing it, I suppose I might have

Spoiler:
    Show
    not had her out cold, and let a bit of one-sided conflict ensue to emphasize the one-sidedness of the relationship. But perhaps that is Considine's counterpoint: maybe as it is, Colman's character's unconsciousness and unresponsiveness serves to highlight the futility of Marsen's character's (sorry, I've forgotten their names ) efforts to make an impact (though we find out later that he uses other means to try and do so); I think his muttering and fumbling accentuate the same reflection.

The part I actually wasn't too fond of was the scene where Marsen's character comes asking for forgiveness. That, I think, could have been done a little better, and perhaps shouldn't have been given so much weight. Sure, it makes the sense of valediction at his death all the more murky, but also stretches the character a little bit too much for my liking. :dontknow:

I have to admit, though, that I didn't recognize Peter Mullan as Mother Superior from Trainspotting when I first saw Tyrannosaur. That's a good bit of versatility there!
    Perhaps it was just that it made for uncomfortable viewing, although I have to admit, that's what made the film so special. I suppose without the rape scene the impact might not have been as strong, I just thought we didn't necessarily need to see it to realise the importance of it. Seeing Colman's face was enough to see the significance of it. The other uncomfortable scene (
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Marsen's body (I can't remember their names either )
    made enough of an impact in my opinion. I definitely still have that vivid image in my head every time I think of the film and I think it's enough to remind you of everything which led up to it.

I'm with you on the forgiveness scene, I thought it was a little too contradictory especially if so soon after he was going to rape her anyway (and he was clearly capable of doing so even at the beginning of the film). I wasn't sure if the scene was trying to show him as genuine or not to be honest. He didn't seem to me like a good person gone bad if you know what I mean?

Trainspotting is something I still need to watch! But Peter Mullan was amazing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G-man89)
    I do, and I actually enjoy it, sad to be leaving in less than 2 weeks. Your experience will largely depend on the site you are at and the management team. Fortunately for me, my management team is excellent so it has all worked out rather well. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
    Ah will do. The deadline for applications was Monday so just waiting to (hopefully) hear back! Would be a good job for me to have as a student and getting a bit bored of not having anything to do until September!

ReputationRep:
    I watched Mary and Max last night. I was expecting it to be sad but not that sad. I would highly recommend it though, the animation is beautiful.

On a different note, could someone suggest some good dark comedies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pi!)
    I watched Mary and Max last night. I was expecting it to be sad but not that sad. I would highly recommend it though, the animation is beautiful.

Big Nothing. I liked it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pi!)

Grosse Pointe Blank, MASH and Dogma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Na-dia)
    Big Nothing. I liked it.

(Original post by TheMagicRat)
    Grosse Pointe Blank, MASH and Dogma.
    Dogma is awesome.

(Original post by Pi!)

If you haven't seen it already, Fargo. Also, if you're into something really dark, Dogtooth could also be classed as such (and is really good as well). :yep:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.contracostatimes.com/cali...-thomas-bridge

**** man...

Just read this 20 seconds ago on the Guardian site. Shocked.

:rip:

ReputationRep:
    Rest in peace

Maybe this would cheer people up:
    Our Favorite Crazy Votes in the Sight & Sound Greatest Film Poll

:lolwut: Pirates of the Caribbean? At World's End?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why they're ****ging off Sweeney Todd so much, I thought it was pretty good actually. :dontknow:

(Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    I don't know why they're ****ging off Sweeney Todd so much, I thought it was pretty good actually. :dontknow:
    But one of the greatest films of all time?

ReputationRep:
    But one of the greatest films of all time?
    To some, probably not. But as the article says, films are subjective. There's no logic involved, only heart.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody's heart says that Sweeney Todd is one of the greatest films of all time. Not one heart should say that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    Nobody's heart says that Sweeney Todd is one of the greatest films of all time. Not one heart should say that.
    So, in your opinion, there's some kind of blue print for what constitutes a film to become a 'greatest' film and, by your reckoning, every person's opinions should follow this blue print?

Like I said, it's such a subjective question. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: Pirates of the Caribbean? At World's End?
    :dontknow:

To some, probably not. But as the article says, films are subjective. There's no logic involved, only heart.
    Of course it's all completely subjective, that's only right. But part of me says it has to be to some extent, that there have to be some standards if you know what I mean?
    I don't really know how to word it well but yeah, it's less 'favourite film' and more 'greatest film'.

ReputationRep:
    Films are subjective in the same way attractiveness is. People can like what they want but there are just some things that you have to acknowledge as being a crime against beauty or good film making.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    So, in your opinion, there's some kind of blue print for what constitutes a film to become a 'greatest' film and, by your reckoning, every person's opinions should follow this blue print?

Like I said, it's such a subjective question. :lolwut:
    Right, this is going to sound like I'm having a go at you, which I'm not. You are correct, film is subjective, but it's not THAT subjective. I mean, Sweeney Todd is a poorly paced film with some terrible dialogue. Some of the tunes are cracking and it may have worked as an ironic album of some sort, but it's a film and I don't feel it works. How some people can vote for it to be in the 10 best films ever is just a bit absurd to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    Right, this is going to sound like I'm having a go at you, which I'm not. You are correct, film is subjective, but it's not THAT subjective. I mean, Sweeney Todd is a poorly paced film with some terrible dialogue. Some of the tunes are cracking and it may have worked as an ironic album of some sort, but it's a film and I don't feel it works. How some people can vote for it to be in the 10 best films ever is just a bit absurd to me.
    It has Johnny Depp. Knee deep in Fan Girl moisture tbph.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.