Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Films are subjective in the same way attractiveness is. People can like what they want but there are just some things that you have to acknowledge as being a crime against beauty or good film making.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I agree with this, but surely even disproving the beauty of something is a subjective opinion coming from the heart?

I see films very much like I see art. There's no logic involved, no right or wrong answer, only what the film says to you. You may think it's terrible, you may think it's epic, but the fact remains: your opinions are coming from the heart.

Yes, you can study film and learn all the techniques to make a 'great' film. But, in my opinion, logic can only get you so far when it comes to making a true work of art.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    I agree with this, but surely even disproving the beauty of something is a subjective opinion coming from the heart?

I see films very much like I see art. There's no logic involved, no right or wrong answer, only what the film says to you. You may think it's terrible, you may think it's epic, but the fact remains: your opinions are coming from the heart.

Yes, you can study film and learn all the techniques to make a 'great' film. But, in my opinion, logic can only get you so far when it comes to making a true work of art.
    I dont think it is really. There are some inherent things that make something great or not, attractive or not, brilliant or not. The subjective things are minor squibbles but the overall package of things (I'm more talking about attractiveness and probably film techniques here) has an objective quality.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    The Red Dawn trailer looks pretty bad. The original was pretty bad as well actually. Preferred, Tomorrow, When the War Began

Seriously delayed, but I just saw 'Ted' today. It was ...alright, I guess. Hardly as hilarious as some people are claiming, but it was good for a chuckle or two.

ReputationRep:
    Samuel L. Jackson will be in Old Boy.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone watched Dark Knight rises, Bourne Legacy, Expendables 2?

(Original post by Blueray2)
    I've seen the first two. Been asked to go and see the third, but not really that keen on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    I've seen the first two. Been asked to go and see the third, but not really that keen on it.
    It's the best damn movie of the year!

It's the best damn movie of the year!
    No chance it's better than Street Dance 2 in 3D. :haughty:

ReputationRep:
    No chance it's better than Street Dance 2 in 3D. :haughty:
    It's pure action and the new vehicles are amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Yup, yup yup.
    Expendables 2 was easily the worst :lol:
    Although have to admit, the Chuck Norris jokes made me laugh.

I really enjoy the Orange adverts in the cinema where they will product place the company within a scene from the film. The Inbetweeners' Jay with the Expendables being a recent one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I really enjoy the Orange adverts in the cinema where they will product place the company within a scene from the film. The Inbetweeners' Jay with the Expendables being a recent one.
    Using films in advertising. How crude. :dry:

ReputationRep:
    Watched Your Highness today, was mostly meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revent)
    Yup, yup yup.
    Expendables 2 was easily the worst :lol:
    Although have to admit, the Chuck Norris jokes made me laugh.
    Yeah watched it today!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Love how the destroyed the tank!

ReputationRep:
    Saw Before Sunrise/Before Sunset.

Not a big fan of 'romance' films, but they're both pretty ****ing good. The first one made me very nostalgic. ;<

ReputationRep:
    Yeah watched it today!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Love how the destroyed the tank!
    Only Chuck Norris... :lol:
    Love how he does it all in a matter of seconds as well :laugh:

Lincoln poster out.

Spoiler:
    Show

Very much looking forward to this. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Lincoln poster out.

Spoiler:
    Show

Very much looking forward to this. :holmes:
    It's in the cinemas already init? At least it is in Ukraine, and has been for a while now.. :eek4:

(Original post by Na-dia)
    It's in the cinemas already init? At least it is in Ukraine, and has been for a while now.. :eek4:
    Pretty sure that can't be right - it's not due for release until November. :p: Perhaps you're confusing it with Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer? That came out a couple of months ago, I think.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.