Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revent)
    Only Chuck Norris... :lol:
    Love how he does it all in a matter of seconds as well :laugh:
    Haha yeah the cobra bit is jokes!

ReputationRep:
    Just watched The Cabin in the Woods, can't decide whether I liked it or not as I'm still trying to ascertain what the hell just happened :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Say the last hour or so of the Guardian on TV last night. I do like that film. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Young Frankenstein is so amazing. Love that film.

ReputationRep:
    Quite interested in seeing The Imposter after the review and discussion of it on today's Wittertainment.

ReputationRep:
    Saw Bourne Legacy, it was good but not as good the previous Bourne films, it was a little slow in terms of storyline although Jeremy Renner did a great job playing Aaron Cross.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Pretty sure that can't be right - it's not due for release until November. :p: Perhaps you're confusing it with Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer? That came out a couple of months ago, I think.
    You are right. I could not assume that there would be another film with a similar name. Apologies

ReputationRep:
    I watched the Deer Hunter the other night, a really good movie which I can't believe I hadn't seen before. The Russian Roullette scene is definitely the best part. The sudden skipping of settings was a bit jarring a times though.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone on this thread watched The Expendables 2 and really enjoyed it? I mean, really really enjoyed it? I detested the film and am struggling to see anything that could be a savoir for someone, bar the odd glimpse of a smile during the incredibly cliche one liners? Someone please enlighten me! Interested for any responses!

Thanks! - Josh

ReputationRep:
    Currently watching The Scorpion King 3. Wow this really isn't that good.

(Original post by chancellorroberts)
    I watched the Deer Hunter the other night, a really good movie which I can't believe I hadn't seen before. The Russian Roullette scene is definitely the best part. The sudden skipping of settings was a bit jarring a times though.
    I love The Deer Hunter; Walken is immense in this, as is De Niro. :yep: A lot of people seem to dislike it for what they perceive as superfluous material (the wedding scene in particular) but I feel it really gives the films a lot of its character/substance. I've seen a Cimino interview, though, and I can understand why some people think he's a bit wacky. :lol:

(Original post by JSmurphy)
    Anyone on this thread watched The Expendables 2 and really enjoyed it? I mean, really really enjoyed it? I detested the film and am struggling to see anything that could be a savoir for someone, bar the odd glimpse of a smile during the incredibly cliche one liners? Someone please enlighten me! Interested for any responses!

Thanks! - Josh
    I've been pressured to go and see this some time in the next week. I don't think I'll particularly enjoy it, but we'll see. :dry:

(Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Currently watching The Scorpion King 3. Wow this really isn't that good.
    There's a The Scorpion King 3? :lolwut: They saw fit to make a The Scorpion King 2? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully seeing Brave on Wednesday, I've heard the animated short beforehand is one of Pixar's best ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    There's a The Scorpion King 3? :lolwut: They saw fit to make a The Scorpion King 2? :lolwut:
    Aye. Came out this year apparently. Now it would seem the first one is on. What is going on with this channel. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    This channel now has The Scorpion King on. How random.

ReputationRep:
    Watched The Apartment with Jack Lemmon. Amazing film, a must watch.

I think I've already seen this film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)

Me too, Liam Neeson my favorite actor was in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)

Expendables 2 had a director?

ReputationRep:
    It's been a while since I last had working internet. Thought I'd come back by going over my thoughts of the summer films I've seen:

The Amazing Spider-Man: I enjoyed it a lot. Andrew Garfield is really charismatic and the film had a lot going for it, particularly with the directorial flourishes from Webb that helped to zip the whole thing along - first-person parkour works pretty well in small doses. It reminded me a lot of the first Iron Man, a pure comic-book film that just wants to be taken for what it is. If there's one thing that put me off it was the seemingly now obligatory post credits scene that every superhero film has to have that gives nothing substantial but unwarranted hype. It really should end as a practice.

The Dark Knight Rises: Seriously disappointing. It had it's moments - Selina Kyle was good, and it was at least pretty to look at - but it felt like a very poor send-off for the first two films. Where they were grounded in introspection and maturity, this was filled with over-the-top showing off and riddled with more plot holes in ten minutes than the previous 5 hours of the series. Not at all what I was expecting, and the biggest tonal letdown since the Harry Potter epilogue. Just thinking about it makes me angry and causes me to go on long rambling rants full of rhetorical questions, which I guess is a testament to just how good Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are.

The Bourne Legacy: ****ing mad. God knows who had the bright idea to take Bourne and turn it into a medical sci-fi flick. I do actually like the premise of having a universe of connected films with different story arcs throughout, but the execution is just shocking in this. There's one scene I really like, the house gunfight, but apart from that the film is just bland, stupid and, worst of all, boring.

Shadow Dancer: Easily the best film I've seen this Summer, and up there with Margin Call and Carnage as one of the best films I've seen this year. It's an incredibly slow-burning thriller about MI5/IRA that isn't glamourous in the slightest but is dripping with tension in every scene. It's a real work of art, I highly recommend checking it out.

ReputationRep:
    The Campaign, seriously disappointing. I had a few chuckles and there were a few genuinely funny moments, but it was surrounded by a lot of below-par stuff.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.