Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

:coma:

ReputationRep:
    Is it necessary to watch the first Expendables before watching the 2nd film? I want to watch the 2nd film, but I haven't seen the first.

It's basically the same film, with more explosions.

I wish I was at Venice.

The obvious attractions are PTA's The Master and Malick's To The Wonder, but there seem to be a real slew of potentially very interesting films on offer this year: Assayas, De Palma, traces of Ruiz...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)

:coma:
    omfg

EDIT: I also really badly want that poster

ReputationRep:
    Just seen Total Recall.

Its alright, pretty much all action. There's a few good scenes but something about the way the story was done didn't feel entirely right.

ReputationRep:
    The last trailer for The Master has just been released and it looks amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Just read somewhere that The Neverending Story (1984) is going to be remade either next year or in 2014 with Leo DiCaprio set to produce.

I love Leo, and i know he has a love of sci fi, so i'm going to try and render on the side of cautious optimism... but seriously, though... there are just some movies that shouldn't be remade :dontknow:

I understand that some movies need to be 'refreshed' but If Falkor is CGI i think i will seriously cry :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammyrifkin)
    Just read somewhere that The Neverending Story (1984) is going to be remade either next year or in 2014 with Leo DiCaprio set to produce.

I love Leo, and i know he has a love of sci fi, so i'm going to try and render on the side of cautious optimism... but seriously, though... there are just some movies that shouldn't be remade :dontknow:

I understand that some movies need to be 'refreshed' but If Falkor is CGI i think i will seriously cry :facepalm:
    I watched The Neverending Story quite recently, it's such a great fantasy film. Right up there with Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz etc.

I hadn't watched it since I was a child, and it still didn't fail to make me cry. :love:

ReputationRep:
    Brave - What a refreshing experience to see a Disney/Pixar princess film that doesn't end in conformative romance. Merida should be seen as a role model to young adventurous girls who prefer to play outside with grazed knees all day than sit playing with Barbie and Ken acting out their dream wedding. The closest comparison I can think of is Mulan, but even she, the butch cross dresser, got the man in the end!

I also had to have my mouth covered by my friend because I was laughing so loud. I actually loved it! :awesome:

(Original post by Arran44)
    The last trailer for The Master has just been released and it looks amazing!
    Looks more and more brilliant. Cannot wait. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Total Recall varies between being really entertaining and just stupid. It's got all the nice future tech that you expect from a Philip K **** story and it looks great, and there's some fantastic action sequences (mostly in the first hour, and the best one that involves Farrell taking out a team of soldiers with the camera swooping around without any cuts that is probably the best recent response to shaky cam is in the trailer). On the other hand, the plot is more convoluted than anything Blofeld could hope of cooking up - like most **** adaptations, there's a phenomenal idea that hasn't been fully realised by the film, making it all feel a little half-baked. Plus it drags on too long, and oh my god there is so much ****ing lens flare - at one point I counted three separate flares on the screen at once.

On the other hand this looks 100% great, In Bruges turned up to 11:

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Phalanges)
    On the other hand this looks 100% great, In Bruges turned up to 11:

(Original post by Colonel.)
    Those both look great! :yep: The cast for Seven Psychopaths. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Just seen Total Recall. Entertaining to a degree, but utterly redundant. I'm betting the next Verhoeven remake will be equally lifeless too.

ReputationRep:
    Man, Tom Waits, Christopher Walken and Sam Rockwell in the same movie. Cast full of scene-stealers.

How has Ben Affleck gotten so...good? Even his acting has vastly improved (although I expect getting into directing helped with that).

ReputationRep:
    Something happened to him during Hollywoodland.

(Original post by Falcon91)
    Just seen Total Recall.

Its alright, pretty much all action. There's a few good scenes but something about the way the story was done didn't feel entirely right.
    It was quite disjointed and, painfully, the same recycled story: a dystopian society, rebellion and the protagonist's 'awakening'. I always knew they wouldn't be able to execute the concept well. You have such a great potential in the set-up with the allusions to the Recall machine being able to implant memories allowing a person to become anyone, even a double agent. And then they had that transition with the Recall drug about to kick in before being yanked out in what seems like a complete change of atmosphere - best point to play up the 'Is this real or Recall?'. They do sort of play on that halfway through the film with Quaid's friend, Harry, as he attempts to convince Quaid that everything that is happening is part of Recall. But whilst it could have made for a great plot device in theory, putting doubt in the minds of the audience as to who Quaid really is and whether this is memory or reality, it just ends up as a half-hearted and awkward attempt at trying to confuse the main character which lasts a couple of minutes. And the plot plays out in typical predictable fashion.

It's a good looking film but the core concept is something which would have flourished under the hands of a better director, like Christopher Nolan. There are a lot of Inception parallels in theme.

I've also recently gotten into Breaking Bad. :ahee: I watched the first episode a couple of months ago, it seemed comedic (?) at the time and I didn't really go back to it. I gave it a proper go this time and it's bloody fantastic. It's one of the best shows I've watched on television. Doing a marathon through all the episodes now and just about to start season 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I've also recently gotten into Breaking Bad. :ahee: I watched the first episode a couple of months ago, it seems comedic (?) at the time and I didn't really go back to it. I gave it a proper go this time and it's bloody fantastic. It's one of the best shows I've watched on television. Doing a marathon through all the episodes now and just about to start season 3.
    I did exactly the same thing. I watched the first ep last month and liked it, but didn't feel compelled to carry on straight away. Shall I power through?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.