Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone seen 'Midnight In Paris'? Outstanding film for me! Thought it might not be that great, but the acting, atmosphere and subtle wit just make it into a really enjoyable film!

ReputationRep:
    Watched both Super 8 and The Happening this morning. Don't think I have ever seen two worse films in my life. Plot holes galore and (especially in The Happening) terrible, terrible acting.

ReputationRep:
    Midnight in Paris is a quality film. Makes me look forward to the new Woody Allen set in Rome.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished watching X-Men Origins: First Class again. Enjoyable film :yep: Any ideas when the next one is coming out?

Currently watching Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon. I don't remember it being up to much but couldn't see anything else on Sky Films on Demand that caught my eye :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I always forget how annoying Shia LeBouf is :sigh: I still don't understand how he has fluked his way into some sort of leading man role.

ReputationRep:
    He has a kick ass agent and that simple boy look.

Woody Allen's next film is in Rome? I wonder if he has some contract with tourism agencies. :beard: Midnight in Paris was a lovely film, looking forward to his future projects.

(Original post by Colonel.)
    Midnight in Paris is a quality film. Makes me look forward to the new Woody Allen set in Rome.
    I thought the trailer looked pretty rubbish. Hopefully, that doesn't mean anything. :dontknow:

The next 4 months in film:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Wreck-It-Ralph

What gamer isn't excited for this film? It's an animated film about a video game villain getting tired of his job and leaving his game. Not only does it star one of the funniest actors in Hollywood, John C. Reilly, but it also features a bunch of video game characters such as Bowser and Zangief. This is looking like it could easily take the mantle for best video game movie ever, which admittedly isn't difficult at all, but it's definitely something we can all rejoice about.

Release date: 26/12

Argo

After Gone Baby Gone and The Town, Ben Affleck has shown us that he's a very strong director, that really focuses on character. His latest film, Argo, is based on a true story about CIA going into Iran disguised as a film crew to rescue a hostage. It stars Affleck, Bryan Cranston and John Goodman.

This looks simply incredible, and could easily be Affleck's best film yet. Hopefully it will actually give Cranston some screen time to actually act, after his slew of small roles where he basically does nothing.

Release date: 25/10

Ruby Sparks

A few people have told me this looks like this years (500) Days of Summer, and from what we've seen, it certainly could be. It stars Paul Dano and is directed by the duo who made Little Miss Sunshine. The plot on the surface seems a little lame; a writer falls in love with the character he's writing and then she becomes real, though it looks like it's executed very well and it looks really sweet and funny.

This looks like a must watch, for people that like Romcoms and also like good movies. Maybe Dano will finally get his long overdue Oscar nom?

Release date: 20/09

Cloud Atlas

An exploration of how the actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future, as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero, and an act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution.
    Everything is connected: an 1849 diary of an ocean voyage across the Pacific; letters from a composer to his friend; a thriller about a murder at a nuclear power plant; a farce about a publisher in a nursing home; a rebellious clone in futuristic Korea; and the tale of a tribe living in post-apocalyptic Hawaii, far in the future

October 26 2012 (US) and 22 March 2013 (UK).

Django Unchained

Django (Jamie Foxx) is a slave living in the Deep South after having been separated from his wife Broomhilda (Kerry Washington). When Django is held for a slave auction, Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz), a bounty hunter, frees Django from his vicious masters, the Speck brothers (James Remar and James Russo) and gives him the option of hunting down and killing the Brittle Brothers, a ruthless gang of killers whom only Django has seen. In return, Schultz will free Django from slavery completely and help rescue Broomhilda from the plantation of the charming but ruthlessFrancophile owner, Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio).

December 25th 2012 (US) and January 13 2013 (UK)

Dredd 3D

Dredd looks awesome. It's about time we got another R rated comic book movie. We've only seen a short trailer that gives us a glimpse at the slow-motion effects and the plot that sounds just like The Raid, but critics got to see some footage at comic-con, and boy are they all excited for it now.

Not to mention it's all in 3D, and a well-made 3D over the top violent film is just what some of us have been waiting for. This movie is going to be awesome.

To Rome with Love

Another Woody Allen film, with a spectacular cast, this is definitely a must see. Alison Pill, Alec Baldwin, Jessie Eisenberg, Ellen Page are just a few of the big names in this huge cast. Do you even need to know the plot? Seriously, it's Woody Allen.

Release date: 18/10

Skyfall

Sam Mendes (American Beauty) directing a Daniel Craig Bond film!? Javier Bardem as the villain!? That's enough alone to warrant it being on this list. But we've seen a bunch of trailers, and this film looks stunning. We've seen a trend this year, of action films focusing a lot on cinematography, and Skyfall looking to be the highlight.

This could very well be one of the best Bond films made in a long time. I've always thought Craig makes a perfect Bond, but Royale and Solace didn't really use him as best as they could. Skyfall is going to be great.

Release date: 22/11

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

It's been almost 10 years since Peter Jackson took us to Middle Earth for what we all thought was going to be the last time. We had no idea we'd be getting three more films from him but luckily the stars aligned and somehow we get to go back to Middle Earth.

At this point, we have no reason not to trust Jackson, so The Hobbit is looking to be a truly incredible experience, and with the advent of 48fps, even a revolutionary one.

Looper

After Brick and The Brothers Bloom, Rian Johnson has proven that he's one of the best up and coming Directors. Looper is looking to be this years Inception. It's set in the future, where people are sent back 30 years to be killed by hired guns. Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a younger Bruce Willis who has to kill himself after he is sent back.

Sounds pretty crazy right? Very positive reviews have been coming in saying that this sci-fi thriller is very grounded in the drama, which makes it even more interesting. I decided early on to avoid all of the trailers for this, so I could go in completely fresh. I have no idea what to expect, but man, am I excited.

Release date: 27/09

Lincoln

Steven Spielberg. Daniel Day-Lewis. Abraham Lincoln biopic. We know next to nothing about this film. A trailer hasn't even been released yet. Just from the names involved we already know this is going to be a heavy hitter at The Academy Awards.

The trailer is set to come out next Thursday, watch it.

Release date: 16/11

The Master

Paul Thomas Anderson has been called this generation's Stanley Kubrick. After his three masterpieces, Boogie Nights, Magnolia and There will be Blood, not many people are arguing that. The Master looks absolutely gorgeous. It's shot on 70mm film and every single shot shown in the many trailers we've seen look worthy of an Oscar. Ever since the first teaser trailer hit, it's pretty much been locked down that the films lead, Joaquin Phoenix will be a heavy Oscar for contender. His performance in the teaser alone is horrifying.

The Master also stars Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams. This is going to be a true treat for all cinema lovers.

Release date: 08/11

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    The next 4 months in film:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Wreck-It-Ralph

What gamer isn't excited for this film? It's an animated film about a video game villain getting tired of his job and leaving his game. Not only does it star one of the funniest actors in Hollywood, John C. Reilly, but it also features a bunch of video game characters such as Bowser and Zangief. This is looking like it could easily take the mantle for best video game movie ever, which admittedly isn't difficult at all, but it's definitely something we can all rejoice about.

Argo

After Gone Baby Gone and The Town, Ben Affleck has shown us that he's a very strong director, that really focuses on character. His latest film, Argo, is based on a true story about CIA going into Iran disguised as a film crew to rescue a hostage. It stars Affleck, Bryan Cranston and John Goodman.

This looks simply incredible, and could easily be Affleck's best film yet. Hopefully it will actually give Cranston some screen time to actually act, after his slew of small roles where he basically does nothing.

Ruby Sparks

A few people have told me this looks like this years (500) Days of Summer, and from what we've seen, it certainly could be. It stars Paul Dano and is directed by the duo who made Little Miss Sunshine. The plot on the surface seems a little lame; a writer falls in love with the character he's writing and then she becomes real, though it looks like it's executed very well and it looks really sweet and funny.

This looks like a must watch, for people that like Romcoms and also like good movies. Maybe Dano will finally get his long overdue Oscar nom?

Release date: 20/09

Cloud Atlas

An exploration of how the actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future, as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero, and an act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution.
    Everything is connected: an 1849 diary of an ocean voyage across the Pacific; letters from a composer to his friend; a thriller about a murder at a nuclear power plant; a farce about a publisher in a nursing home; a rebellious clone in futuristic Korea; and the tale of a tribe living in post-apocalyptic Hawaii, far in the future

October 26 2012 (US) and 22 March 2013 (UK).

Django Unchained

Django (Jamie Foxx) is a slave living in the Deep South after having been separated from his wife Broomhilda (Kerry Washington). When Django is held for a slave auction, Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz), a bounty hunter, frees Django from his vicious masters, the Speck brothers (James Remar and James Russo) and gives him the option of hunting down and killing the Brittle Brothers, a ruthless gang of killers whom only Django has seen. In return, Schultz will free Django from slavery completely and help rescue Broomhilda from the plantation of the charming but ruthlessFrancophile owner, Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio).

December 25th 2012 (US) and January 13 2013 (UK)

Dredd 3D

Dredd looks awesome. It's about time we got another R rated comic book movie. We've only seen a short trailer that gives us a glimpse at the slow-motion effects and the plot that sounds just like The Raid, but critics got to see some footage at comic-con, and boy are they all excited for it now.

Not to mention it's all in 3D, and a well-made 3D over the top violent film is just what some of us have been waiting for. This movie is going to be awesome.

To Rome with Love

Another Woody Allen film, with a spectacular cast, this is definitely a must see. Alison Pill, Alec Baldwin, Jessie Eisenberg, Ellen Page are just a few of the big names in this huge cast. Do you even need to know the plot? Seriously, it's Woody Allen.

Release date: 18/10

Skyfall

Sam Mendes (American Beauty) directing a Daniel Craig Bond film!? Javier Bardem as the villain!? That's enough alone to warrant it being on this list. But we've seen a bunch of trailers, and this film looks stunning. We've seen a trend this year, of action films focusing a lot on cinematography, and Skyfall looking to be the highlight.

This could very well be one of the best Bond films made in a long time. I've always thought Craig makes a perfect Bond, but Royale and Solace didn't really use him as best as they could. Skyfall is going to be great.

Release date: 22/11

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

It's been almost 10 years since Peter Jackson took us to Middle Earth for what we all thought was going to be the last time. We had no idea we'd be getting three more films from him but luckily the stars aligned and somehow we get to go back to Middle Earth.

At this point, we have no reason not to trust Jackson, so The Hobbit is looking to be a truly incredible experience, and with the advent of 48fps, even a revolutionary one.

Looper

After Brick and The Brothers Bloom, Rian Johnson has proven that he's one of the best up and coming Directors. Looper is looking to be this years Inception. It's set in the future, where people are sent back 30 years to be killed by hired guns. Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a younger Bruce Willis who has to kill himself after he is sent back.

Sounds pretty crazy right? Very positive reviews have been coming in saying that this sci-fi thriller is very grounded in the drama, which makes it even more interesting. I decided early on to avoid all of the trailers for this, so I could go in completely fresh. I have no idea what to expect, but man, am I excited.

Release date: 27/09

Lincoln

Steven Spielberg. Daniel Day-Lewis. Abraham Lincoln biopic. We know next to nothing about this film. A trailer hasn't even been released yet. Just from the names involved we already know this is going to be a heavy hitter at The Academy Awards.

The trailer is set to come out next Thursday, watch it.

Release date: 16/11

The Master

Paul Thomas Anderson has been called this generation's Stanley Kubrick. After his three masterpieces, Boogie Nights, Magnolia and There will be Blood, not many people are arguing that. The Master looks absolutely gorgeous. It's shot on 70mm film and every single shot shown in the many trailers we've seen look worthy of an Oscar. Ever since the first teaser trailer hit, it's pretty much been locked down that the films lead, Joaquin Phoenix will be a heavy Oscar for contender. His performance in the teaser alone is horrifying.

The Master also stars Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams. This is going to be a true treat for all cinema lovers.

Release date: 08/11
    Nice little round-up. :top:

1. Wreck-It-Ralph - had not heard about this, looks like great fun.

2. Argo - I really liked Affleck's previous directorial efforts and liked the look of the trailer for this one as well, so looking forward to this. The reviews coming out of Toronto have only been lukewarm, though.

3. Ruby Sparks - Huh, interesting. Sounds a bit like Stranger Than Fiction; hopefully it will be better executed than that.

4. Cloud Atlas - from the descriptions and stuff, I'm not so sure about this one. I haven't read the book or anything, though, so I don't really know.

5. Django Unchained - Looks like fun, but (from the trailer) unspectacular. After Inglourious Basterds, I'll be tempering myself for this one. :yy:

6. Dredd - Only heard about it very recently. Looks like fun, but I'm not sure it's the kind of film I'll be able to appreciate much. We'll see.

7. To Rome With Love - After the trailer, I'm not expecting much. :nothing: Still need to watch Midnight in Paris as well, though, so not the most educated opinion. :o:

8. Skyfall - Thought the teaser looked fantastic, and the actual trailer a little less so. The names involved (particularly Mendes and Bardem) will still have me looking out for this, though.

9. The Hobbit - Nervous anticipation. Both annoyed and intrigued by the plans for a trilogy.

10. Looper - When I first heard about this, I wasn't too excited: it seemed to me to be the kind of films that would fail miserably to capture the scope of the concept it wanted to explore in favour of action/effects, like The Butterfly Effect or In Time (this opinion might have largely been a reaction to Willis' inclusion :p:). But it's getting very good initial reviews from Toronto (or is it Venice?), so my interest is being kindled. :beard:

11. Lincoln - Had me at Daniel Day-Lewis. Hopefully brilliant and not a massive flop (that's an either/or thing for this movie in my eyes!).

12. The Master - Film I've been most anticipating this year. Early reviews suggest it's yet another masterpiece. :excited:

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait for the blackface in Cloud Atlas.

ReputationRep:
    Is there going to be a Movie Madness this year?

Just re-watched Rashomon. Absolutely one of my favourite films. Just so accomplished at so many aspects of film-making, and works on a number of different levels. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Just re-watched Rashomon. Absolutely one of my favourite films. Just so accomplished at so many aspects of film-making, and works on a number of different levels. :moon:
    I find it hard to watch films that old, dunno why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    I'm the same unless it is amazing classics like Jason and the Argonauts :coma:

(Original post by Deshi)
    By virtue of them being old? I suppose it's understandable that some people don't take too well to old film quality, editing, etc.

(Original post by Mess.)
    Rashomon is an amazing classic too! :fuhrer:

Nice little round-up. :top:

1. Wreck-It-Ralph - had not heard about this, looks like great fun.

2. Argo - I really liked Affleck's previous directorial efforts and liked the look of the trailer for this one as well, so looking forward to this. The reviews coming out of Toronto have only been lukewarm, though.

3. Ruby Sparks - Huh, interesting. Sounds a bit like Stranger Than Fiction; hopefully it will be better executed than that.

4. Cloud Atlas - from the descriptions and stuff, I'm not so sure about this one. I haven't read the book or anything, though, so I don't really know.

5. Django Unchained - Looks like fun, but (from the trailer) unspectacular. After Inglourious Basterds, I'll be tempering myself for this one. :yy:

6. Dredd - Only heard about it very recently. Looks like fun, but I'm not sure it's the kind of film I'll be able to appreciate much. We'll see.

7. To Rome With Love - After the trailer, I'm not expecting much. :nothing: Still need to watch Midnight in Paris as well, though, so not the most educated opinion. :o:

8. Skyfall - Thought the teaser looked fantastic, and the actual trailer a little less so. The names involved (particularly Mendes and Bardem) will still have me looking out for this, though.

9. The Hobbit - Nervous anticipation. Both annoyed and intrigued by the plans for a trilogy.

10. Looper - When I first heard about this, I wasn't too excited: it seemed to me to be the kind of films that would fail miserably to capture the scope of the concept it wanted to explore in favour of action/effects, like The Butterfly Effect or In Time (this opinion might have largely been a reaction to Willis' inclusion :p:). But it's getting very good initial reviews from Toronto (or is it Venice?), so my interest is being kindled. :beard:

11. Lincoln - Had me at Daniel Day-Lewis. Hopefully brilliant and not a massive flop (that's an either/or thing for this movie in my eyes!).

12. The Master - Film I've been most anticipating this year. Early reviews suggest it's yet another masterpiece. :excited:
    Cloud Atlas comes out in October in the US and, wait for it, March in the UK. That pretty much kills off most of my hype. Midnight in Paris is excellent, watch it (!) but the reviews for To Rome With Love are very mixed so I don't think it will be up to par. Looper is another with 100% on Rotten Tomatoes after 21 reviews - 2012 has been a very strange years in terms of what films you were expecting would perform well critically. The Hobbit and Skyfall should be excellent :excited: - at least I hope so after the slew of less than satisfactory releases this year. :unimpressed: And I reckon Lincoln and The Master will be the main films that duke it out at the Oscars.

(Original post by Mess.)
    Is there going to be a Movie Madness this year?
    Keen to see plebians push The Shawshank Redemption to yet another win? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Cloud Atlas comes out in October in the US and, wait for it, March in the UK. That pretty much kills off most of my hype. Midnight in Paris is excellent, watch it (!) but the reviews for To Rome With Love are very mixed so I don't think it will be up to par. Looper is another with 100% on Rotten Tomatoes after 21 reviews - 2012 has been a very strange years in terms of what films you were expecting would perform well critically. The Hobbit and Skyfall should be excellent :excited: - at least I hope so after the slew of less than satisfactory releases this year. :unimpressed: And I reckon Lincoln and The Master will be the main films that duke it out at the Oscars.

Keen to see plebians push The Shawshank Redemption to yet another win? :holmes:
    If it doesn't happen each year then the world stops turning :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Not forgetting Les Mis for me.

It's a shame that Great Gatsby got pushed back. That would have been an epic cinema viewing in December. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    :yep:

By virtue of them being old? I suppose it's understandable that some people don't take too well to old film quality, editing, etc.
    I think it's the whole black and white thing. I've seen and loved films like Taxi Driver, The Godfather, Apocalypse Now etc.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.