Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

Just watched The Truman Show. Some parts of it could have been handled better, but I really enjoyed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spicey)
    I didn't particularly enjoy it but I haven't read the books which is kind of unfair because I've heard (as always), "the books are way better than the films".

It's like the film, 'Inkheart'; I adored the book, couldn't put it down for 3 days. But then the film was such a let down - it was terrible (although I do love Andy Serkis).
    I just read the plot for it, meh.. I think I am going to read the book instead
    Nothing will ever trump Battle Royal

Any great movies I can watch on Netflix? I just finished hit list which was sublime ! Great acting as usual by Cuba gooding junior

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MetropolisBoy)
    Any great movies I can watch on Netflix? I just finished hit list which was sublime ! Great acting as usual by Cuba gooding junior
    Yeah I love Cuba Gooding Jr., epecially in Jerry Maguire.

Have you seen '50 50'? I thoroughly enjoyed that. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is superb. I can't wait for 'Looper', as it looks awesome, although I don't particularly like Bruce Willis.

Another film I have only seen recently as it was recommended to me was 'Moon' which was fantastic.

I don't if you have seen them but if you haven't definitely watch them on Netflix as they are both excellent.

(Another film I was recommended by the same person who recommended 'Moon' was a film called 'The Naked Lunch' which looked very weird but I am still yet to watch )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spicey)
    Yeah I love Cuba Gooding Jr., epecially in Jerry Maguire.

Have you seen '50 50'? I thoroughly enjoyed that. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is superb. I can't wait for 'Looper', as it looks awesome, although I don't particularly like Bruce Willis.

Another film I have only seen recently as it was recommended to me was 'Moon' which was fantastic.

I don't if you have seen them but if you haven't definitely watch them on Netflix as they are both excellent.

(Another film I was recommended by the same person who recommended 'Moon' was a film called 'The Naked Lunch' which looked very weird but I am still yet to watch )
    No, I haven't

but I will give them all a go! Thank you very much. However, I won't be able to watch all tonight

ReputationRep:
    No, I haven't

but I will give them all a go! Thank you very much. However, I won't be able to watch all tonight
    Surprised you liked he Hit List, thought it was pretty bad personally.

There are quite a few decent films on Netflix, it's just annoying that I had already seen most.

Just off the top of my head I'd suggest Drive, Warrior, Equilibrium, A Perfect Getaway, The Strangers, Shutter Island, The Sixth Sense etc. If you like foreign films I'll happily recommend you some.

On another note watched This Means War today (only because of Tom hardy) and it was pretty awful. The choice by Reese Witherspoon (used to have a thing for her but she's getting to old for these roles) at the end made no sense either. meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Surprised you liked he Hit List, thought it was pretty bad personally.

There are quite a few decent films on Netflix, it's just annoying that I had already seen most.

Just off the top of my head I'd suggest Drive, Warrior, Equilibrium, A Perfect Getaway, The Strangers, Shutter Island, The Sixth Sense etc. If you like foreign films I'll happily recommend you some.

On another note watched This Means War today (only because of Tom hardy) and it was pretty awful. The choice by Reese Witherspoon (used to have a thing for her but she's getting to old for these roles) at the end made no sense either. meh.
    I am not sure how much more my bag of 'films to watch' can hold lol I can already see it bulging but never mind! I'd happily add your recommendation to the list, thank you mister

As for the film hit list, I found it a good watch, but that's only because i admire Cuba Gooding Junior Alot

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure how much my bag of 'films to watch' can hold lol I can already see it bulging but never mind! I'd happily add your recommendation to the list, thank you mister
    I have suggested quite a few because the films the other person suggested aren't on Netflix, unless you have a US version maybe!

ReputationRep:
    Just watched The Descendants. An all-round really nice film!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    I have suggested quite a few because the films the other person suggested aren't on Netflix, unless you have a US version maybe!
    Oh, that's a shame ! Where else could I watch them? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels was hilarious. Think I prefer it to Snatch.

(Original post by sheep_go_baa)
    Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels was hilarious. Think I prefer it to Snatch.
    I'm not quite sure which I prefer - I might say Snatch by a very slight margin, but that could simply be because I watched it first (they're pretty similar films! :p:). I'll need to watch them both again and reassess. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Rewatched Sideways the other day. What a fantastic film! My experience was slightly hampered by having to constantly fight off three of my friends whining how the film sucks, it's not funny and there aren't even any guns or boobs (or at least not the kind of boobs they wanted to see). :rolleyes: Idiots.

Also went to the cinema the other weekend and saw Ted. A simple storyline that was carried mostly by a talking teddy bear swearing and doing other such inappropriate things, but the jokes were funny so why not? I was in tears all the way through till the end.

ReputationRep:
    New Hobbit trailer :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    So a trilogy may be an error but :coma::coma::coma: that looks good

ReputationRep:
    Just finished watching Target for Rage. It was based on a true story and I've always been intrigued by school hostage films so I don't think it was a bad purchase for 50p.

I have only just realised now that it was a TV movie, would have never guessed as the acting is fairly decent and so is the film. Can't think of many school hostage films that have been better tbh :holmes:

I'm not quite sure what to think of Life of Pi's ending. I'm also struggling to see how they've adapted the book in a way which stays true to it given that the book is 90% introspection and Pi's inner musings and contemplation on, well, any subject that remotely connects to the plot. The narrative drive and thrust comes more from Pi's thoughts than what's going on around him.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming the trilogy will be called 'There and Back Again: A Hobbit's Tale' :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I saw "what lies beneath" 3 days ago. Although I read very positive comments on IMDb I was so bored, it should not last 2 hours. Anyone else who saw that movie?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lassGR)
    I saw "what lies beneath" 3 days ago. Although I read very positive comments on IMDb I was so bored, it should not last 2 hours. Anyone else who saw that movie?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I watched that a long time ago and thought it was pretty creepy, but I watched it when I was like 10. Have been meaning to re watch it at some point.

Also never realised there was a film on Hitchcock coming out, never saw it mentioned in any Academy Award predictions or anything, even though it looks like it has the potential to have an impact :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    It has Hopkins as Hitchcock right?

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.