Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

(Original post by Phalanges)
    Yes, and the film doesn't hold a candle to it. It gives it a good go but it completely misses the tone of the book, which is a bit unfortunate. I'm still waiting patiently for the day when they film Survivor, which if they do it right will make Fight Club seem family friendly and probably end up banned in America. One day when I'm rich I am going to make that film, and it will be amazing.

I'm a massive Palahniuk fan. :p: I got a signed copy of Choke from an Oxfam bookshop for £2. :awesome:
    Big enough to sit at the bottom of a swimming pool? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Twas a pretty slow, tame night as far as sunday night films go, watched parts of Just married... Batman, The bucket List was on as well earier but I wasn't bored enough to watch it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Yes, and the film doesn't hold a candle to it. It gives it a good go but it completely misses the tone of the book, which is a bit unfortunate. I'm still waiting patiently for the day when they film Survivor, which if they do it right will make Fight Club seem family friendly and probably end up banned in America. One day when I'm rich I am going to make that film, and it will be amazing.

I'm a massive Palahniuk fan. :p: I got a signed copy of Choke from an Oxfam bookshop for £2. :awesome:
    A Survivor film would be absolutely insane. That book literally blew my mind.

(Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    woah what is that, seems freaky. Foreign film?

and Christien was it you that played Jedi Knight 1 and 2? Not a fan of Jedi academy?
    It's David Lynch. He's very American (watch the TV show Twin Peaks). :p:

ReputationRep:
    Source Code was pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    I recently watched Limitless, what do people think of it? I enjoyed it, cheesy lines ("this unlocks 100%") and silly moments aside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    Source Code was pretty good.
    (Original post by tface)
    I recently watched Limitless, what do people think of it? I enjoyed it, cheesy lines ("this unlocks 100%") and silly moments aside.
    I enjoyed both of these but as usual have comments :p:

Source Code
    I thought it was very good if predictable with a bit of a forced epilogue - unlike Moon I think it will blend into the genre. The idea behind it all (Jeffrey Wright's physics) was very good, I thought, but much like The Adjustment Bureau the story that accompanied the idea wasn't quite up to par. Shame. Still it was a good film I think!

Limitless
    Apart from being a huge Robert De Niro fan (and I don't agree with the idea that he's gone down in quality in the past few years, it's just the roles he's been given that have) and also I'm quickly becoming a Bradley Cooper fan (no, I don't fancy him, that's my girlfriend's job). I wanted to see this because it was a De Niro film that was released on my birthday (hence it was a sign from god, much like a penny from the year I was born!) but it was even better than I expected. I know some people will think it was a bit too "into itself" or something like that but it really worked for me. I know I haven't actually made a point in this rant I just feel like writing I'd recommend it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    I enjoyed both of these but as usual have comments :p:

Source Code
    I thought it was very good if predictable with a bit of a forced epilogue - unlike Moon I think it will blend into the genre. The idea behind it all (Jeffrey Wright's physics) was very good, I thought, but much like The Adjustment Bureau the story that accompanied the idea wasn't quite up to par. Shame. Still it was a good film I think!

Limitless
    Apart from being a huge Robert De Niro fan (and I don't agree with the idea that he's gone down in quality in the past few years, it's just the roles he's been given that have) and also I'm quickly becoming a Bradley Cooper fan (no, I don't fancy him, that's my girlfriend's job). I wanted to see this because it was a De Niro film that was released on my birthday (hence it was a sign from god, much like a penny from the year I was born!) but it was even better than I expected. I know some people will think it was a bit too "into itself" or something like that but it really worked for me. I know I haven't actually made a point in this rant I just feel like writing I'd recommend it!
    I, however, do fancy Bradley Cooper.

Having watched both:

Source Code: :yy:
    Sucker Punch: :nn:

(Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    woah what is that, seems freaky. Foreign film?
    Yeah, what Mad Jack said, he got me into it. If you ever want a true mind****, or something which will turn your brain to mush, I'd suggest watching it.

ReputationRep:
    I, however, do fancy Bradley Cooper.
    I just watched this episode:

ReputationRep:
    Just saw the trailer for Hangover 2 and it basically just looks like a remake. Stu wakes up to find a tattoo as opposed to a missing tooth, there's a monkey instead of a tiger etc....shame they couldn't come up with something a little more original.

ReputationRep:
    I just watched this episode:

:laugh:

Nah, but I meant in a completely gay way.

ReputationRep:
    So I went a bit off tanget from my Billy Wilder marathon last night, and watched The African Queen since it seems to be regarded as one of the classics. I have to say I had my expectations quite high, and subsequently was let down by the film. Bogart and Hepburn give strong performances, as always, but otherwise I felt the story, etc. was dated. I understand the film, the way it was shot on location in Africa, etc. was revolutionary for its time, but even still, I didn't care that much for it. Although, some of the dialogue was pretty witty.

On another note, I watched Burn After Reading a few days ago, and thought it was really funny.

ReputationRep:
    :laugh:

Nah, but I meant in a completely gay way.
    Oh I know, so did I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisabethbridge)
    On another note, I watched Burn After Reading a few days ago, and thought it was really funny.
    I've seen it 3/4 times now and sometimes I find it brilliant and sometimes very meh...

You seen RED?

ReputationRep:
    I've seen it 3/4 times now and sometimes I find it brilliant and sometimes very meh...

You seen RED?
    No. Been meaning to check it out though cause I saw the trailer when it came out and it seemed pretty good. What did you think of it?

Also, I love the Oscar winning movie trailer video on your sig!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Big enough to sit at the bottom of a swimming pool? :holmes:
    I'm not sure I follow...

ReputationRep:
    everyone seems to have forgotten about The Adjustment bureau :/ it's ok - Matt Damon

The Hangover 2, I'm not that excited about it tbh, I'm sure it will be funny and memorable and all that but the hype just isn't there for me

Interesting thread: What constitutes a 'Great' film in your book?

EDIT: Why won't the generic 'favourite film of all time' threads die. There was one a day ago, there's one every ****ing week.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still in the midst of this current Maggie Smith obsession. And from what I've seen so far, 99% of her film career has consisted of giving brilliant performances in mediocre films.

The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie was as close as she ever got (so far) to a 'great' film, and that is most certainly not without it's faults. It saddens me!

Also, I read somewhere she's set to be in a film called The Hunter set for a 2012 release. The only other piece of information was that it's based on a comic. You boys seem to be up on your comics and stuff, any knowledge?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.