Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Falcon91)
    Someone suggest me a decent movie to watch, preferably comedies
    How about Goodbye Lenin!?

(Original post by xanthippe)
    Just watched Disney's Mulan and Pocahontas.

I regret nothing.
    And why would you? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    How about Goodbye Lenin!?

And why would you? :p:

I don't know, I guess I just presume all you guys spend your evenings watching art films from the Czech Republic or something, and here I am watching Disney films and going "OH GOD SHE'S SO BAD ASS".

Oh and I'll always remember the shocking feeling when I realised Alex Kerner is Frederick Zoller.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I guess I just presume all you guys spend your evenings watching art films from the Czech Republic or something, and here I am watching Disney films and going "OH GOD SHE'S SO BAD ASS".

Oh and I'll always remember the shocking feeling when I realised Alex Kerner is Frederick Zoller.
    Nonsense. Mulan is awesome.

Thanks Abhira and pogo for the suggestions.

I would like to watch more Czech art films, tbh. :p: František Vláčil in particular is someone I've heard very good things about.

Yeah, he also has a minor role in The Bourne Ultimatum. :yep: I'd like to see some of his other films - Salvador and Eva are supposed to be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    I would like to watch more Czech art films, tbh. :p: František Vláčil in particular is someone I've heard very good things about.

Yeah, he also has a minor role in The Bourne Ultimatum. :yep: I'd like to see some of his other films - Salvador and Eva are supposed to be good.
    Oh Frantisek Vlácil!! You need to, eh eh, check Údolí vcel out! It looks so good. Seriously has some great scenes.

Yeah I should watch some more of his films, the only one's I've seen this far are Goodbye Lenin and Inglourious Basterds (which I find awesome).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    Nonsense. Mulan is awesome.

Thanks Abhira and pogo for the suggestions.
    It is. And I just love the gayish fat guy - I want a friend like him!

ReputationRep:
    I watched Woody Allen's Deconstructing Harry last night. Great film, and the artistic, literary and film references are always a good laugh. It's definitely one of his better films.

8/10

Oh Frantisek Vlácil!! You need to, eh eh, check Údolí vcel out! It looks so good. Seriously has some great scenes.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look out for it!

Yeah I should watch some more of his films, the only one's I've seen this far are Goodbye Lenin and Inglourious Basterds (which I find awesome).
    The Bourne Trilogy is worth watching if you haven't already. I'll take it you're psyched about Django Unchained, then. :p:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Abiraleft;39770764][QUOTE=xanthippe;39770167]Oh Frantisek Vlácil!! You need to, eh eh, check Údolí vcel out! It looks so good. Seriously has some great scenes.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look out for it!

The Bourne Trilogy is worth watching if you haven't already. I'll take it you're psyched about Django Unchained, then. :p:

OH YES! Although at first I was a bit umh... "wut" when I heard Leonard DiCaprio was going to be in it. But hey, it's Tarantino, I'm sure it'll be great. Plus it has Christoph Waltz, how awesome is that? I loved him as Hans Landa.

ReputationRep:
    Watched Layer Cake last night and it was amazing, can anyone recommend any similar films?
    Personally though it was much better than Snatch and Lock Stock which it is compared to so often, despite being quite different.
    Back at home where I have good internet id just watch a load of films which are similar on IMDB but since ive got **** internet at uni I have to be selective
    In Bruges maybe?

Brick and The Brothers Bloom were really good. The former much more than the latter. Moonrise Kingdom was an excellent film, I've noticed how colourful Wes Anderson films tend to be. It brought back that special feeling I got when I watched Midnight in Paris. Dredd was decent and yeah, as the comparisons have been made, it's very similar to The Raid: Redemption. Not just in the basic premise of law enforcement invading a closed off tall building which manufactures drugs and is run by a gangster and having to fight their way up through tenants, but also in the small details such as the main bad guy using that speaker phone to tell the residents to hunt them down. There's even a scene with heavy gunfire reigning down on the good guys from an opposite, higher up, level that is mirrored in both films.

Watching 127 Hours right now. I don't think I could do ever do what he did. :nooo:

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Watching 127 Hours right now. I don't think I could do ever do what he did. :nooo:
    :yep: I should watch that film again; I think it's really well made.

Might be watching Mystic River today. :holmes:

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Colonel.)
    How many times can the same **** happen to the same guy? The films have been on a decline since they introduced the 'buddy hero' in 3, 4 and now 5. But I'll still probably watch it. I'm a sucker for Die Hard. Loved the first two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    How many times can the same **** happen to the same guy? The films have been on a decline since they introduced the 'buddy hero' in 3, 4 and now 5. But I'll still probably watch it. I'm a sucker for Die Hard. Loved the first two.
    I'm expecting a lot of Russian stereotypes.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched Point Break, only heard of it through watching Hot Fuzz. What a great movie, massively underrated, it's like Reservoir Dogs with Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves haha.

Looper was actually really enjoyable. It gives you what you want from a science fiction film. I found the trailers to be misleading, didn't turn out to be what I was expecting at all. It doesn't quite execute its concept as well as something like Inception and it's not 'the best time travel film ever made' as reviews seem to be proclaiming, not when there's Primer and Los Cronocrímenes out there. But it definitely stands out in a year where we've had less than satisfactory science fiction releases such as John Carter, Men in Black 3, Prometheus and Total Recall, all of which had much bigger budgets.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Looper isn't a film I'd recommend to anyone. A few novel themes and interesting concepts amid 1-dimensional Hollywood archetypes, melodrama, audience-winning over-sentimentality from hardened hitmen(man?), all-powerful child, a footnote ("The Rainmaker/TK") that becomes the pivotal point in the story, goofy supporting cast, unimpressive CGI and set design, inexplicable concern for people just met etc. The first fifteen minutes is the best part, but it makes the transformation of the rest of the film into something I imagine is similar to Michael Bay's interpretation of the last ten minutes of "The Tree of Life" all the more disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Propanone)
    Looper isn't a film I'd recommend to anyone. A few novel themes and interesting concepts amid 1-dimensional Hollywood archetypes, melodrama, audience-winning over-sentimentality from hardened hitmen(man?), all-powerful child, a footnote ("The Rainmaker/TK") that becomes the pivotal point in the story, goofy supporting cast, unimpressive CGI and set design, inexplicable concern for people just met etc. The first fifteen minutes is the best part, but it makes the transformation of the rest of the film into something I imagine is similar to Michael Bay's interpretation of the last ten minutes of "The Tree of Life" all the more disappointing.
    Yes it was sort of cliche and predictable but there are enough redeeming features. All performances are good, especially the little boy. The eyebrows were off putting though. The plot was serviceable. I gave it a 7/10 which is slightly generous but I did enjoy the movie.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.