Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

Announcements

(Original post by Propanone)
    Looper isn't a film I'd recommend to anyone. A few novel themes and interesting concepts amid 1-dimensional Hollywood archetypes, melodrama, audience-winning over-sentimentality from hardened hitmen(man?), all-powerful child, a footnote ("The Rainmaker/TK") that becomes the pivotal point in the story, goofy supporting cast, unimpressive CGI and set design, inexplicable concern for people just met etc. The first fifteen minutes is the best part, but it makes the transformation of the rest of the film into something I imagine is similar to Michael Bay's interpretation of the last ten minutes of "The Tree of Life" all the more disappointing.
    The various montages of JGL? I don't think they were all that good. I think this was after the first fifteen minutes but the one of the most effective parts of the film was

Spoiler:
    Show
    the active amputation scene which transferred to the older Looper.

They didn't really shift back to that darker tone in the film. With respect to the footnote, it actually makes the film feel like it has two distinct parts. One with letting a Looper escape and one concerned with the farm kid and I don't think they merged particularly well.

(Original post by silent ninja)
    Yes it was sort of cliche and predictable but there are enough redeeming features. All performances are good, especially the little boy. The eyebrows were off putting though. The plot was serviceable. I gave it a 7/10 which is slightly generous but I did enjoy the movie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    JGL's entire makeup was off-putting. Like cosmetic surgery gone wrong.

I'm going to give 12 Monkeys a watch today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Looper was actually really enjoyable. It gives you what you want from a science fiction film. I found the trailers to be misleading, didn't turn out to be what I was expecting at all. It doesn't quite execute its concept as well as something like Inception and it's not 'the best time travel film ever made' as reviews seem to be proclaiming, not when there's Primer and Los Cronocrímenes out there. But it definitely stands out in a year where we've had less than satisfactory science fiction releases such as John Carter, Men in Black 3, Prometheus and Total Recall, all of which had much bigger budgets.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I was thinking about it earlier today, and realised this may be some sort of plot hole in the film. People are sent back to the past to be killed because killing in the future is impossible. Bruce went back into the past to save his wife from being killed because she apparently got killed in the future :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Right so I'm in here to have a rant.

I am fed up with trailers giving the game away on things. I just bought Prometheus (which I really enjoyed, but that's another discussion) and my little brother is a big Alien series fan who couldn't see Prometheus when it was in the cinema. We were all planning to watch it tomorrow with popcorn etc etc etc.

Anywho. I'm watching Homeland, and a Prometheus DVD trailer comes on. It's all a bit clippy, which is usually fine, but they only went and showed (don't read if you haven't seen):

Spoiler:
    Show
    The Protoalien or whatever it's called

It was quick, but my brother spotted it, practically ruining part of the movie. It's so frustrating! They can advertise the film in the same way just by saying 'Ridley Scott' blah blah blah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revent)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I was thinking about it earlier today, and realised this may be some sort of plot hole in the film. People are sent back to the past to be killed because killing in the future is impossible. Bruce went back into the past to save his wife from being killed because she apparently got killed in the future :lol:

think the director explained that as being a **** up on the mafia's part, and that's why burned the house in a half arsed attempt to cover up their mess up.

thought it was pretty average. always have trouble getting my head around these multiple timelins ones, but in this case I don't think how well I can get my head around it really changes that I found it pretty unadventurous yawn etc. Some of the interpersonal stuff was pretty well done and a nice break from the usual crashing and banging guns etc

couldn't stop looking at young/old Joes ears when they were in the cafe. One had attached lobes and the other unattached and they lingered in their profiles for ages. Really bugged me that. Felt like that detective out of The Imposter that kept banging on about that guys ears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mister Dead)
    think the director explained that as being a **** up on the mafia's part, and that's why burned the house in a half arsed attempt to cover up their mess up.

thought it was pretty average. always have trouble getting my head around these multiple timelins ones, but in this case I don't think how well I can get my head around it really changes that I found it pretty unadventurous yawn etc. Some of the interpersonal stuff was pretty well done and a nice break from the usual crashing and banging guns etc

couldn't stop looking at young/old Joes ears when they were in the cafe. One had attached lobes and the other unattached and they lingered in their profiles for ages. Really bugged me that. Felt like that detective out of The Imposter that kept banging on about that guys ears.
    That was just a silly excuse. I mean they can get lots of **** ups in that case and if they get this kind of recklessness, why don't they just be 'reckless' with the looper? Why didn't other loopers fight back just like Bruce?

ReputationRep:
    So far, and this is gonna sound weird, but Looper and Dredd have been my favourite films of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    So far, and this is gonna sound weird, but Looper and Dredd have been my favourite films of the year.
    I think they were both decent but nothing stands out about either of them. Looper was the better film. Visually Dredd was good but Prometheus was a better visual spectacle in the cinema IMO.

I want to see Killing Them Softly. The director made my favourite movie of 2009, The Assassination of Jesse James, and I hear Brad Pitt has given another brilliant performance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Prometheus was a visual spectacle on top of a rubbish film.

ReputationRep:
    Prometheus was a visual spectacle on top of a rubbish film.
    Compared to previous Alien films, yes it wasn't that great but as standalone it wasn't bad. Better than Dredd IMO which really is just a glorified B movie. There are differences in expectations when it comes to these movies. You expect nothing with Dredd but a lot with Prometheus, which might explain the reactions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

About to watch my first Western now, and it's going to be Django.

Wondered if you'd seen it already, would quite like to talk to you about it if you have. :holmes:

(Original post by silent ninja)
    I want to see Killing Them Softly. The director made my favourite movie of 2009, The Assassination of Jesse James, and I hear Brad Pitt has given another brilliant performance.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing this as well. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    So many films I need to watch... :grumble:

Taken 2
    Looper
    Killing me Softly
    Savages
    Sinister

And Skyfall comes out soon as well :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to watching Looper and Killing me softly. Though I have some friends who have seen Taken 2 and said it was a let down.

Watched 3 Idiots (indian film) again, still just as amazing as the day I saw it in cinema. All the important moments still hit just as hard as well. Maybe I'm over exaggerating, but I really do rate this film haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    About to watch my first Western now, and it's going to be Django.
    The original?

ReputationRep:
    Not watched a film in yonks now. Might try and watch one this weekend with the flat mates. Probably be one I already have so nothing new unless we watch Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon which I bought for 25p and still not seen.

The original?
    I put it in and got past the title sequence before I realized it had been overdubbed in English. :dry: That put me off completely and I watched a documentary about the making and reception of Metropolis instead. I don't know if I'll watch it (Django) now.

(And yeah, the Sergio Corbucci/Franco Nero one.)

Might re-watch American Beauty today. Or watch The Terminal, I haven't seen that before. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Might re-watch American Beauty today. Or watch The Terminal, I haven't seen that before. :beard:
    I must get round to watching American Beauty at some point, still haven't seen it yet. How did you find it? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Going to see Liberal Arts tomorrow. High(ish) hopes.

ReputationRep:
    Looper might just be the best film this year. It's right up there with TDKR. Patiently waiting for The Hobbit...

ReputationRep:
    Btw, you guys need to stop calling it Killing me Softly. It's a nice old school crime film though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.