Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    I must get round to watching American Beauty at some point, still haven't seen it yet. How did you find it? :holmes:
    Oh, I like it. Kevin Spacey is a delight to watch.

Although I wasn't quite as wowed by it as some people clearly have. Perhaps a second viewing will change that: looking back on it now, I wouldn't be able to recall what I think was wrong with it, so...

ReputationRep:
    Just finished watching 50/50 starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It was a decent enough film, nothing extra-ordinary but good enough to provide a modicum of entertainment.

I found Seth Rogen's performance resolutely shallow though. It's not that his performance was explicitly poor, just that it was Seth Rogen playing Seth Rogen yet again. For all it mattered, I might as well have just watched Superbad again, I mean the characterisation was essentially the same. I think there would have been a multitude of talented young actors who could have carried out his role to much better effect.

Regardless is was a no-surprises enjoyable flick with relatively few annoyances compared to most Hollywood films. What did other people on here think of it?

(Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Just finished watching 50/50 starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It was a decent enough film, nothing extra-ordinary but good enough to provide a modicum of entertainment.

I found Seth Rogen's performance resolutely shallow though. It's not that his performance was explicitly poor, just that it was Seth Rogen playing Seth Rogen yet again. For all it mattered, I might as well have just watched Superbad again, I mean the characterisation was essentially the same. I think there would have been a multitude of talented young actors who could have carried out his role to much better effect.

Regardless is was a no-surprises enjoyable flick with relatively few annoyances compared to most Hollywood films. What did other people on here think of it?
    Broadly agree with you, especially about Rogen. I'd read people go on about how amazing he was in this role, actually, and how he brought about a whole new level of depth to his performance. I struggled to see it, tbh. (Maybe that warrants a re-watch at some point.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Broadly agree with you, especially about Rogen. I'd read people go on about how amazing he was in this role, actually, and how he brought about a whole new level of depth to his performance. I struggled to see it, tbh. (Maybe that warrants a re-watch at some point.)
    I've placed my thoughts inside a spoiler in consideration for those haven't seen the film

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'd assume that that interpretation comes from his character actually turning out to be a little 'deeper' than initially suspected (having the book about cancer after all and whatnot), but I think his overall performance well...'Seth Rogen'. I think that says it all really.

Levitt provided a solid performance of a believably defeated individual, whilst Rogen's delivery reeked of nothing but what has now become his incredibly stale template. A good example of an actor renowned for his comedic roles but capable of providing chillingly deep characters is Robin Williams (i.e. Insomnia and One Hour Photo). I think Rogen was brought on to attract and appeal to a younger (and perhaps more juvenile) audience which is a shame really.

(Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    I've placed my thoughts inside a spoiler in consideration for those haven't seen the film

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'd assume that that interpretation comes from his character actually turning out to be a little 'deeper' than initially suspected (having the book about cancer after all and whatnot), but I think his overall performance well...'Seth Rogen'. I think that says it all really.

Levitt provided a solid performance of a believably defeated individual, whilst Rogen's delivery reeked of nothing but what has now become his incredibly stale template. A good example of an actor renowned for his comedic roles but capable of providing chillingly deep characters is Robin Williams (i.e. Insomnia and One Hour Photo). I think Rogen was brought on to attract and appeal to a younger (and perhaps more juvenile) audience which is a shame really.
    I agree with most of that. :yep: I did a review of it last year here, if you're interested. (Although this was a while ago and a little rushed, so some of my views might have changed a bit!)

ReputationRep:
    Liberal Arts was a charming way to spend an hour and a half, but nothing much else. Great performances all round, and I love Allison Janney in anything thanks to my undying love for The West Wing.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that whenever Bruce Willis wears a brown jacket, the film is great?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    About to watch my first Western now, and it's going to be Django.

Wondered if you'd seen it already, would quite like to talk to you about it if you have. :holmes:

I'm really looking forward to seeing this as well. :yep:
    Me three!

ReputationRep:
    Thought I would share for those who have seen Taken.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Cannot wait for Skyfall. :excited:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TM94)
    So many films I need to watch... :grumble:

Taken 2
    Looper
    Killing me Softly
    Savages
    Sinister

And Skyfall comes out soon as well :sogood:
    The reviews of Skyfall have been fantastic!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19940764

It's not coming out in Switzerland til 1 November though, and not guaranteed to be in English. I'm literally praying here it will be...Taken 2 atm is only in German in the two towns that I could go to

(Original post by danny111)
    The reviews of Skyfall have been fantastic!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19940764

It's not coming out in Switzerland til 1 November though, and not guaranteed to be in English. I'm literally praying here it will be...Taken 2 atm is only in German in the two towns that I could go to
    Almost everyone apart from The Guardian seem to be up in praise for it (I haven't actually read any reviews for fear of spoilers, though :p:).

Also, going by some Metacritic ratings - in stark contrast to it's Venice reception, Argo seems to have been a fantastic critical hit (86 from 43 reviews, and an 8.8 user rating from 29 reviews - both higher than what Looper has at the moment) while Seven Psychopaths seems to be decent and enjoyable (66 from 39 reviews, and a user rating of 8.5 from eight ratings). And for those of you who were interested in it, Taken 2 has a score of 45 based on 35 reviews and a user rating of 5.9 from 61 reviews. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Almost everyone apart from The Guardian seem to be up in praise for it (I haven't actually read any reviews for fear of spoilers, though :p:).

Also, going by some Metacritic ratings - in stark contrast to it's Venice reception, Argo seems to have been a fantastic critical hit (86 from 43 reviews, and an 8.8 user rating from 29 reviews - both higher than what Looper has at the moment) while Seven Psychopaths seems to be decent and enjoyable (66 from 39 reviews, and a user rating of 8.5 from eight ratings). And for those of you who were interested in it, Taken 2 has a score of 45 based on 35 reviews and a user rating of 5.9 from 61 reviews. :p:
    That bad?

Seems like they went for the money after the success of the first film. Disappointing, but I'm yet to see it so fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    Taken 2 is ****ing awful.

ReputationRep:
    Kermode said Taken 2 is the worst film he's seen this year.

ReputationRep:
    Well that blows.

On another note, I just saw A Separation and thought it was brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    Skyfall Skyfall Skyfall Skyfall :woo:

Just booked my VIP tickets at the local Vue :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Loved Liberal Arts. I think Elizabeth Olsen is really great. She was fantastic in Martha, Marcy May, Marlene too. Hard to believe she's related to those cretinous twins!

the film teeters on the brink of sentimentality a few times, but manages to stay just the right side. Some really great writing; a nice meditation on the relative merits of youth versus experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    Loved Liberal Arts. I think Elizabeth Olsen is really great. She was fantastic in Martha, Marcy May, Marlene too. Hard to believe she's related to those cretinous twins!

the film teeters on the brink of sentimentality a few times, but manages to stay just the right side. Some really great writing; a nice meditation on the relative merits of youth versus experience.
    You mean those twins that already as kids made a brand of themselves and earned millions?

If you liked Josh Radnor I can recommend happy thank you more please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    x[/CENTER]
    Happy joint Birthday Ape! I almost forgot

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.