Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    I saw it a few days ago.

***** away.
    It's a lovingly, but poorly made film. Indulgent and sloppy. The more I think about it, the more it infuriates me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    Can somebody else watch The Hobbit so I have someone to ***** with?
    I've seen it :p:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here watched The Virgin Suicides? If you have what did you think of it? Not a huge fan of films that start of by telling you how it ends but it works well here. Thought I don't understand why they would all kill themselves, especially the first one which set of the chain of events (these aren't spoilers btw). Maybe I'll skim over the book.

I just watched it and I don't really know what to think....yet. Need to sleep on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Anyone here watched The Virgin Suicides? If you have what did you think of it? Not a huge fan of films that start of by telling you how it ends but it works well here. Thought I don't understand why they would all kill themselves, especially the first one which set of the chain of events (these aren't spoilers btw). Maybe I'll skim over the book.

I just watched it and I don't really know what to think....yet. Need to sleep on it.
    I was really in to the film and book when I was younger, thought I was a cool angsty chick.

You really need to read the book to understand the level of oppression the girls were put under by their parents after the first suicide (which is never really explained, I assume just because she was suffering from depression), a lot of detail is left out of the film and it sort of trivialises the final events because we've only really seen them get grounded a few times and taken out of school etc.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Interestingly, in the book Mary (the sister who puts her head in the oven) doesn't manage to die in the joint suicide pact at the end but eventually kills herself with an overdose of pills a month later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    I was really in to the film and book when I was younger, thought I was a cool angsty chick.

You really need to read the book to understand the level of oppression the girls were put under by their parents after the first suicide (which is never really explained, I assume just because she was suffering from depression), a lot of detail is left out of the film and it sort of trivialises the final events because we've only really seen them get grounded a few times and taken out of school etc.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Interestingly, in the book Mary (the sister who puts her head in the oven) doesn't manage to die in the joint suicide pact at the end but eventually kills herself with an overdose of pills a month later.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    When you say suicide pact do you mean they had planned to all kill themselves on the anniversary of their sisters suicide for a while or was it just after recent events?

Did Mary ever say anything in the month before her suicide?

Why does the film concentrate on Lux so much? I didn't even think Dunst was the hottest like they were making out to be.

Why was Cecilia the only one with her own room?

Why did they call the boys over on the night they had committed suicide? And then Lux told them to come in.

The boys were creepy in the way they stalked the girls, but it was sweet how they were playing music to each other over the phone and you feel sorry for them because they genuinely thought they were going to rescue the girls.

And how awkward was that "party" they held near the start of the film? I cringed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    When you say suicide pact do you mean they had planned to all kill themselves on the anniversary of their sisters suicide for a while or was it just after recent events?

Did Mary ever say anything in the month before her suicide?

Why does the film concentrate on Lux so much? I didn't even think Dunst was the hottest like they were making out to be.

Why was Cecilia the only one with her own room?

Why did they call the boys over on the night they had committed suicide? And then Lux told them to come in.

The boys were creepy in the way they stalked the girls, but it was sweet how they were playing music to each other over the phone and you feel sorry for them because they genuinely thought they were going to rescue the girls.

And how awkward was that "party" they held near the start of the film? I cringed.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I don't think it's ever specifically stated but I think the anniversary thing may have been a coincidence, they just went through the group suicide to end the oppression.

Lux is supposed to be the most attractive sister in the book so perhaps the casting of Dunst was misguided in comparison to the other actresses.

No real reason that Cecelia has her own room if I remember correctly.

Mary's eventual suicide is just referenced by the boys (who are the narrators) right after the mass suicide at the end of the book. It's just sort of after information.

The only thing I can think of for the reason of the girls calling the boys over only find their bodies is the same reason that Cecelia killed herself in front of everyone at her party rather than alone. To be noticed by people after such a long period of seclusion.

The boys were very sweet. I think one of the real tragedies of the story is that they'll never fully understand what happened and they'll never get over it.

(Original post by Deshi)

I've watched it, thought it was good if a bit uneven in places. Decent directing debut for Coppola, and a pretty good performance from Kathleen Turner if I remember correctly.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I thought the ambiguity of motive was sort of the point of it: the girls were all changing and growing throughout the film because of factors both seen and only implicit, and perhaps some completely hidden - and boys struggled to understand what was happening, and were fascinated by it. I think it's important to note that the story is being told from the point of view of the boys: they didn't understand, so perhaps that's why the audience isn't supposed to either But I haven't read the book, so I'm not completely sure about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    I've watched it, thought it was good if a bit uneven in places. Decent directing debut for Coppola, and a pretty good performance from Kathleen Turner if I remember correctly.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I thought the ambiguity of motive was sort of the point of it: the girls were all changing and growing throughout the film because of factors both seen and only implicit, and perhaps some completely hidden - and boys struggled to understand what was happening, and were fascinated by it. I think it's important to note that the story is being told from the point of view of the boys: they didn't understand, so perhaps that's why the audience isn't supposed to either But I haven't read the book, so I'm not completely sure about it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah that's what I thought, at the start of the film they make the pint about how they don't understand girls. And when they're going through the younger girls diary they bring it up quite a bit.

I saw somewhere that the book concentrates more on the boys and the girls life's are sort of like a murder mystery. By the end of the film, I didn't even know the names of all the boys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    It's a lovingly, but poorly made film. Indulgent and sloppy. The more I think about it, the more it infuriates me.
    It's too long. I mean in the sense that not much really happened and yet the film was 3 hours almost.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched Indie Game: The Movie. Great documentary, really captured the stress and frustrations of game developers. Interesting how the Super Meat Boy and Fez teams differed so much in their approach... Phil Fish seemed to convince himself he was a god by the time Fez came out but the Super Meat Boy guys seemed pretty grounded throughout.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched Remember Me.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I heard it had a tragic ending but I definitely did not see that coming :holmes:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Just watched Indie Game: The Movie. Great documentary, really captured the stress and frustrations of game developers. Interesting how the Super Meat Boy and Fez teams differed so much in their approach... Phil Fish seemed to convince himself he was a god by the time Fez came out but the Super Meat Boy guys seemed pretty grounded throughout.
    Would you say the film is a good watch for people who aren't familiar with the games or don't really have an active interest in gaming?

ReputationRep:
    Watched Helvetica today. I was a bit apprehensive about a documentary written about a typeface, but it was alright. A bit scatterbrain in its approach, but in its own weird way there was a kind of natural narrative to the film. Not a great doc, but it taught me a few things, and it was fun to see typeface designers passionately talking about serifs and the relationship between letters and the space between letters. Weird how there are Dutch style and Swiss style fonts... I thought a font was a font.

(Original post by Mo-Amin)
    Would you say the film is a good watch for people who aren't familiar with the games or don't really have an active interest in gaming?
    Definitely, its a film for people who love documentaries rather than for people who love games. It's not much of a behind the scenes doc, it's almost entirely about the characters who make games , how passionate they are about the medium and the frustrations they go through.

You don't need to know anything about games. If you like documentaries about design and the creative process then check it out.

For me the most interesting thing was seeing how these people cope with sitting alone for years on end with no idea whether they're creating a massive hit or a complete dud. There's a real sense that their creations could make them millionaires, or it could mean they worked for years for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing Pitch Perfect tomorrow. Have weirdly high expectations.

(Original post by aja89)
    I've heard good things about this one. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    The trailer looks great and Anna Kendrick is a brilliant actress.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, Pitch Perfect did not meet my expectations, except for Rebel Wilson. Some brief thoughts here:

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...ch-is-perfect/.

:giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Definitely, its a film for people who love documentaries rather than for people who love games. It's not much of a behind the scenes doc, it's almost entirely about the characters who make games , how passionate they are about the medium and the frustrations they go through.

You don't need to know anything about games. If you like documentaries about design and the creative process then check it out.

For me the most interesting thing was seeing how these people cope with sitting alone for years on end with no idea whether they're creating a massive hit or a complete dud. There's a real sense that their creations could make them millionaires, or it could mean they worked for years for nothing.
    Cheers, it looked pretty good to me and I wanted to put a showing of it on for a society at uni, was unsure of how appropriate it would be for the audience though.
    Glad it focuses on the people behind the process, look forward to checking it out!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.