Ghost Rider 2
    This Means War
    Chernobyl Diaries
    Savages
    Keith Lemon: The Movie
    House at the End of the Street

All of those are ****ing awful.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen enough bad films to make a full top ten (word of mouth is usually enough to keep me away), but I agree with the inclusion of This Means War, Savages and John Carter, and would throw Dark Shadows (awful above and beyond Burton's usual stale, 'quirky' touches) and Cloud Atlas (a gross simplification and misinterpretation of a reasonably complex book, and a bad film to boot) in there as well.

If it were a list of the most 'whatever' films of the year then Amazing Spider-Man for sure. It's not outright bad, and the performances are uniformly solid, but it's just hard to care about.

Anyway, recently seen:

Flight - Good
    Skyfall - Good
    Killing them Softly - Proper good
    Killer Joe - Excellent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    can't wait for Zombieland 2... Charlie Sheen must, must make a celebrity cameo - would just be epiiic
    The first zombieland movie was brilliant. Do you know when 2 is out? :O

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to watch Wuthering Heights yesterday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samaaf)
    The first zombieland movie was brilliant. Do you know when 2 is out? :O

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I am tentative about this one. If it doesn't have Eisenberg and Emma in it I won't go cinema for it.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, Annie Walker is in Looper. So glad for Piper, she is a great actress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Was it the cold and detached perspective on the loss of limb and life in a war? Have you watched Saving Private Ryan? It would evoke very similar feelings.

On a personal level, the films I've had prolonged emotional impacts from were probably Million Dollar Baby (the frailty of human life and how quickly/easily it can be snatched away) and American History X (the pointlessness of living a life filled with hate). Holocaust films tend to hit all the right notes too.
    I Just watched Saving Private Ryan, great recommendation, absolute masterpiece. Only thing was is that i was baying for Upham's blood. I would've shot the pansy as soon as i knew he was a wet one, all he did was cost people their lives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Wow, Annie Walker is in Looper. So glad for Piper, she is a great actress.
    Haha I swear you pretty much watch every series I have ever watched!? I gave up on Covert Affairs at the start of season 3 though. Piper Perabo is hot.

ReputationRep:
    Finally saw The Hobbit. Put off seeing it partly because everyone was moaning about it, and partly because I didn't want to spend over 3 hours in a cinema over xmas. But I loved it. Thought it dealt with all the problems of the book magnificently, and Gollum was absolutely a jot to behold (Serkis MUST have earned an Oscar by now). My only criticism is I would've liked the giant fight to last a bit longer.

So the question is: why the hell did everyone moan about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Haha I swear you pretty much watch every series I have ever watched!? I gave up on Covert Affairs at the start of season 3 though. Piper Perabo is hot.
    Do you like Eyal? If so you shouldn't have, the season got better and better.

Oh and I know! She is topless in Looper!

ReputationRep:
    Do you like Eyal? If so you shouldn't have, the season got better and better.

Oh and I know! She is topless in Looper!
    He's cool, I like Oded Fehr. I always thought her and Auggie would have been a decent couple though.

I watched a show called The Finder a while back (only had one season but it's a decent watch - would recommend), and the main girl in that resembles a dark haired Piper Perabo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    He's cool, I like Oded Fehr. I always thought her and Auggie would have been a decent couple though.

I watched a show called The Finder a while back (only had one season but it's a decent watch - would recommend), and the main girl in that resembles a dark haired Piper Perabo.
    Thanks that sounds cool.

And yea, you should watch the third season at some point, really.

ReputationRep:
    Looper: overrated. I generally don't like time travel films anyway because they just don't work. but even after that, i didn like some parts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Finally saw The Hobbit. Put off seeing it partly because everyone was moaning about it, and partly because I didn't want to spend over 3 hours in a cinema over xmas. But I loved it. Thought it dealt with all the problems of the book magnificently, and Gollum was absolutely a jot to behold (Serkis MUST have earned an Oscar by now). My only criticism is I would've liked the giant fight to last a bit longer.

So the question is: why the hell did everyone moan about it?
    I loved it too.
    I'll admit it was flawed but I still loved it through them, I guess I was just so enthralled by the Middle Earth world.

I think one reason why many were disgruntled is that they expected it to be in the same vein as the Lord of the Rings series - Maybe the change in tone disappointed them, or maybe the lack of grand, epic battles and change in structure.

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait to see Quartet. I'm such a Maggie Smith fangirl. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mo-Amin)
    I loved it too.
    I'll admit it was flawed but I still loved it through them, I guess I was just so enthralled by the Middle Earth world.

I think one reason why many were disgruntled is that they expected it to be in the same vein as the Lord of the Rings series - Maybe the change in tone disappointed them, or maybe the lack of grand, epic battles and change in structure.
    Or maybe because he made 3 books into 3 movies and now 1 book into 3 movies?

It's too long.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone seen It's Kind of a Funny Story?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myusername.)
    Anyone seen It's Kind of a Funny Story?
    Yes!

Brilliant film. Zach Galifianakis (spelling) is supberb in it, I laughed a lot due to him even though it is a serious film really.

ReputationRep:
    Just rewatched Chinatown :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe because he made 3 books into 3 movies and now 1 book into 3 movies?

It's too long.
    Technically six books, that came in the form of three volumes.

Yeah it is pretty long, which can be quite a put-off for the average cinema-goer.
    Personally I thought the time was well-spent.
    I guess as a film it was pretty flawed but I was just so happy to be in Middle-Earth that I didn't care about them at all.

I've just watched Waltz With Bashir and Evil Dead II, both brilliant.
    Especially the former, loved how powerful and hard-hitting it was, how well presented and animated it was. Even the music was great, the film is surely a must-watch for anyone.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.