Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I fell asleep watching 2001. And when I tried watching it again the same thing happened. True story. This also occurred with Solaris (George Clooney one), sci-fi films like that are really not my thing. They bore me to death.

Edit: Just realised I gave it a 1 on IMDB as well, I REALLY must not have liked it :p:

(Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    Assuredly. Did you ever see my earlier post about it..?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...63944&page=210

(go down to post # 4186)
    I did, actually! I remember gaping in awe!

(Original post by Deshi)
    I fell asleep watching 2001. And when I tried watching it again the same thing happened. True story. This also occurred with Solaris (George Clooney one), sci-fi films like that are really not my thing. They bore me to death.

Edit: Just realised I gave it a 1 on IMDB as well, I REALLY must not have liked it :p:
    Blade Runner? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    I did, actually! I remember gaping in awe!

Blade Runner? :holmes:
    I like Blade Runner.

(Original post by Deshi)
    I like Blade Runner.
    Perhaps it was just the pacing that threw you off, then? I think you really have to be in a certain mood to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey. :dontknow:

I haven't seen Solaris yet, so I can't comment on that.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen Solaris yet, so I can't comment on that.
    ahem... There's only one Solaris and it's not the Steven Soderbergh one.

СОЛЯРИС (1972) - my no. 1 film of all time

ReputationRep:
    Martha Marcy Mae Marlene was such an immense film. Loved the genre splicing and it introduced me to the music of Jackson C Frank (which I imagine was the scriptwriter's plan since so much of the cult leader's actions revolve around Jackson's music). The third Olsen sister's career definitely looks more promising than the other two!

MMMM and Looper were the only two stand outs this year for me. There were plenty of others I enjoyed but it takes a lot for a movie to be memorable to me. Films are such a low commitment form of media that I generally enjoy then forget them.

The Hobbit was very nearly in there, but it feels too much like a part of a trilogy that I don't want to judge it until all three films are out and can be seen as a whole.

Wasn't We Need to Talk About Kevin 2011?

ahem... There's only one Solaris and it's not the Steven Soderbergh one.

СОЛЯРИС (1972) - my no. 1 film of all time
    I've wanted to check it out for ages now. I've not seen any Tarkovsky at all. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I've wanted to check it out for ages now. I've not seen any Tarkovsky at all. :holmes:
    Once you experience Tarkovsky, nothing will ever be the same again. Utterly wonderful cinema. Check out Stalker too. Visionary. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Well, you certainly do seem to have picked 'em, don't you!

But there have been some superb films this (ok, last) year. One of the best year's for movies that I can remember

Martha, Marcy May, Marlene
    Holy Motors
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Berberian Sound Studio
    Amour
    Sightseers
    Killing them softly
    The Angel's Share
    Polisse
    Nostalgia for the light
    Prometheus
    Hunger Games
    Skyfall
    Once upon a time in Anatolia
    We need to talk about Kevin
    Rust and bone
    Seeking a friend for the end of the world
    Take this waltz
    Savages
    Killer Joe
    Cosmopolis
    Lawless
    Anna Karenina
    A Royal Affair
    The Hunt
    End of Watch
    Looper
    Frankenweenie
    Argo
    Haven't even heard half of these films

ReputationRep:
    Off to watch Gangster Squad tonight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revent)
    Haven't even heard half of these films
    Really? Where do you normally hear about new releases then?

ReputationRep:
    Saw Hobbit. Pretty good compared to the word of mouth, and central performances excellent (even Armitage does the best he can with a cookie-cutter anti-hero role), but has glaring pacing issues and feels very bloated.

Unrelated, but JJ Abrams is a pretty cool guy:

http://www.chud.com/121939/abrams-gr...into-darkness/

ReputationRep:
    Really? Where do you normally hear about new releases then?
    Whenever I go to the cinema, whatever trailers I see :p: or if someone specifically mentions a film on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Off to watch Gangster Squad tonight
    It's not out yet is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    It's not out yet is it?
    Some pre release or something. Went with a friend, I think it's for people on Sky or something like that. Was quite good

(Original post by Deshi)
    It's not out yet is it?
    Jan 11th, if I remember correctly. Looking forward to it. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I go to the cinema, whatever trailers I see :p: or if someone specifically mentions a film on this thread.
    So you are really only going to hear about the big multiplex type releases then.

I must admit, I find it a bit surprising (on a thread supposedly for "film fanatics") that most people only ever seem to know about the likes of Batman, Hobbit, Life of Pi etc. :sadnod:

There are so many more films out there to be enjoyed.

So you are really only going to hear about the big multiplex type releases then.

I must admit, I find it a bit surprising (on a thread supposedly for "film fanatics") that most people only ever seem to know about the likes of Batman, Hobbit, Life of Pi etc. :sadnod:

Well, there are different stages of being a film fanatic, surely. :p: And maybe even different types.

On a side note, have you seen Katalin Varga? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Well, there are different stages of being a film fanatic, surely. :p: And maybe even different types.
    Fair enough.

On a side note, have you seen Katalin Varga? :holmes:
    Yes. Excellent.

In my post Holy Motors enthusiasm I am going back over Leos Carax's back catalogue. Re-watched Les Amants du Pont Neuf last night. Tremendous

ReputationRep:

Well, I guess because they're less advertised, it's a bit harder to get hold of them. :p: Plus, I like the excitement of going to the cinema Like I saw Moonrise Kingdom, and I actually really liked it! Just that I never heard of it before AGI suggested it :p:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.