Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

Announcements

(Original post by danny111)
    I have to say at this point that I hate, if not loathe animated films in general. I do not find them funny, they are childish and they just generally annoy me. Pretty much the only animated films I can think of right now, other than a few Disney classics like Jungle Book, Robin Hood, are the (German, never seen English version) Ice Age films. Although they did get worse every new film. Kung Fu Panda, and How to Train your Dragon.

I don't even know why, for example I watched cartoons way past the age where you might consider stop watching them, so it's not that I have anything against the idea per se.
    Just out of interest, which animation films did you dislike apart from Up? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Just out of interest, which animation films did you dislike apart from Up? :holmes:
    Shrek all of them
    Shark Tale
    Finding Nemo
    Toy Story - never saw full movie, only ever parts of 1 and 2 and switched off
    The Incredibles - never managed to watch all of it, once on DVD and once on TV, switched off both times
    Beauty and the Beast - I do like the old Disney films though, just not this one, as I said, probably because I saw them a million times as a kid
    Wall-E

I haven't seen any of the others because I know from trailers I wouldn't like them, e.g. the trailer for Cars, want to kill myself. I only saw up because How To Train Your Dragon was recommended to me and I actually loved that one so thought I give Up a go.

(Original post by danny111)
    I have to say at this point that I hate, if not loathe animated films in general. I do not find them funny, they are childish and they just generally annoy me. Pretty much the only animated films I can think of right now, other than a few Disney classics like Jungle Book, Robin Hood, are the (German, never seen English version) Ice Age films. Although they did get worse every new film. Kung Fu Panda, and How to Train your Dragon. E.g. all the Pixar stuff I dislike, except Ratatouille which was ok.

I don't even know why, for example I watched cartoons way past the age where you might consider stop watching them, so it's not that I have anything against the idea per se.
    The reason I like Pixar films is because they're not entirely childish and they don't adhere to the formula of most other animations. They accommodate an adult audience as well as a young one, and many of their themes go beyond most animated or children's films that you will see.

I didn't think it was garage (:p:) but I didn't really think it was all that either. I didn't think it lived up to some of Pixar's other attempts, like Toy Story (:love:) or Finding Nemo. That said, I saw a tiny bit of it on TV again a couple of weeks ago and it was funnier than I remembered, so perhaps I need to give it another go. :dontknow:
    I feel differently. I am indifferent to Finding Nemo (and Cars and Incredibles) because they seem like average animated films that could have been pumped out by any sufficiently competent studio. I don't see any of the special attributes in those that I see in a film like Up.

I watched Django Unchained. It was good but not Taratino's magnum opus or anything close. And whilst it had the signature dialogue heavy scenes, I didn't like them as much as the opening and bar scene in Inglorious Basterds.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst on the subject of animated films, I watched Disney's Bolt last night. Actually really enjoyed it. :yep:

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    The reason I like Pixar films is because they're not entirely childish and they don't adhere to the formula of most other animations. They accommodate an adult audience as well as a young one, and many of their themes go beyond most animated or children's films that you will see.

I feel differently. I am indifferent to Finding Nemo (and Cars and Incredibles) because they seem like average animated films that could have been pumped out by any sufficiently competent studio. I don't see any of the special attributes in those that I see in a film like Up.
    Hmm, I thought Finding Nemo had some good adult moments as well, personally. These are all based on first impressions, though - they're all films I need to watch again at some point. :holmes:

(Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    Whilst on the subject of animated films, I watched Disney's Bolt last night. Actually really enjoyed it. :yep:
    Is that like the animated dog version of The Truman Show? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    That's another one I stopped watching after about 4 minutes.

Out of all of the David Fincher films that frequently get mentioned, The Game is grossly underrated. Fantastic film.

ReputationRep:
    I watched Django Unchained. It was good but not Taratino's magnum opus or anything close. And whilst it had the signature dialogue heavy scenes, I didn't like them as much as the opening and bar scene in Inglorious Basterds.
    That's an interesting (and surprising) account. By the way, did you watch it in the USA or something, as it isn't out in the UK yet?

I'm looking forward to seeing what Tarantino has to offer this time Even if it's good and not great, I'll still be satisfied. It beats stuff like Twilight at least!

Ah film-watching, how I've missed you. :love: First film in a good while - Climates by and starring Nuri Bilge Ceylan along with his wife. I thought it was pretty fantastic. :yes:

Out of all of the David Fincher films that frequently get mentioned, The Game is grossly underrated. Fantastic film.
    Agreed. :yep: Very well-composed, wild and imaginative but somehow just about plausible, and a great little cameo from Sean Penn. It was probably the first film I sat down and 'seriously' watched as well. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Just saw London Boulevard, so sad the end.

Baftas 2013 nominations

Lincoln has ten nominations, Les Miserables and Life of Pi have nine each, and Skyfall has eight.

Also, Oscar nominations list out today, I believe. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Baftas 2013 nominations

Lincoln has ten nominations, Les Miserables and Life of Pi have nine each, and Skyfall has eight.

Also, Oscar nominations list out today, I believe. :holmes:
    Hmm... Lincoln is such cynically Oscar-chasing material. Ticks all the boxes, release date, grand historical setting, big name actors, heavy moral theme. Yawn.

No doubt it will clean up at the Oscars :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Life of Pi tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    Hmm... Lincoln is such cynically Oscar-chasing material. Ticks all the boxes, release date, grand historical setting, big name actors, heavy moral theme. Yawn.

Yes, I agree with this.

(Original post by Plato's Trousers)

Yeah, I've heard this one before. I'm still looking forward to seeing it because of Daniel Day-Lewis' involvement, though.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, the nominations are starting and there's a legal live stream on YouTube:

I think I'll just be catching the results later myself. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Lincoln will take nearly everything. Silver Linings Playbook will get a few as well.

ReputationRep:
    I liked Silver Linings Playbook, but... is anyone else completely baffled by Jacki Weaver's nomination? :lolwut:

SO glad Waltz got in over DiCaprio for Django.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've heard this one before. I'm still looking forward to seeing it because of Daniel Day-Lewis' involvement, though.
    Yes, don't get me wrong, I shall be seeing it. DDL doesn't come out all that often and it's always worthwhile when he does. I am sure it's a fine film. I guess I just find the Oscars so frustrating because of the fact they are so hugely influenced by the lobbying/marketing of the big studios and production companies. It's a very commercial award, not really an artistic one.

I cite as exhibit one the fact that Driving Miss Daisy won four Oscars in 1990 (including Best Picture and Best Screenplay FFS)!! And that was in a year littered with fine movies.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well.. dam.. i really thought this was Dicaprios chance at an Oscar.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.