Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

Announcements

Here's the list if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

Delighted they gave Quvenzhané Wallis a Best Actress nomination instead of replicating the True Grit fiasco.

ReputationRep:
    Leo snubbed, again

For now, I'll assume it's because he didn't have enough screen time, even for supporting. Waltz is apparently practically the lead for a lot of it.

Happy Django's up for best film though, but where's my Tarantino in best director

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Leo deserves a nomination for his role in Django. He wasn't that great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    Hmm... Lincoln is such cynically Oscar-chasing material. Ticks all the boxes, release date, grand historical setting, big name actors, heavy moral theme. Yawn.

No doubt it will clean up at the Oscars :rolleyes:
    You called it! Most nominations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)
    I don't think Leo deserves a nomination for his role in Django. He wasn't that great.
    This. I've seen the film as well, and Christoph Waltz is simply better. I even prefer Samuel L. Jackson's performance to Leo's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Well.. dam.. i really thought this was Dicaprios chance at an Oscar.
    He is still young, although I agree, he is one of the best actors out there who haven't won one yet.

ReputationRep:
    I'll hold off on criticizing those that've been snubbed till I've seen the likes of Django, Les Mis, Zero Dark Thirty and Lincoln. Surprised at the Haneke noms though.

Saw The Impossible (and Gangster Squad) today. Naomi Watts was pretty good in the former but I doubt it's the performance of the year - probably deserves the nod though.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree, I thought Leo was fantastic in Django, better than Waltz , but each to their own. !

(Original post by Tommyjw)
    I disagree, I thought Leo was fantastic in Django, better than Waltz , but each to their own. !
    Trivia: Did you know...

Spoiler:
    Show
    That part where he gets blood all over his hands after slamming his hands on the table was actually a live accident on set but Leo didn't break character at all and just incorporated into his performance.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing like a nine year old being nominated for Best Actress to make you ponder your life's many failures...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Trivia: Did you know...

Spoiler:
    Show
    That part where he gets blood all over his hands after slamming his hands on the table was actually a live accident on set but Leo didn't break character at all and just incorporated into his performance.
    Very interesting. Bit like what's his face (aragorn) kicking the helmet in lotr

ReputationRep:
    Just started watching resident evil retribution.

the start is soooooooooo confusing. wtf is going on?

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for Monsters Inc 2!!!! I need to watch Silver linings aswell

I'm so behind on so many films, I just don't have time to watch them :/

ReputationRep:
    I saw Moon just now on TV. Sam Rockwell really is a great actor. And the film was good, no big special effects, just a good story imo, beautifully played.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    I saw Moon just now on TV. Sam Rockwell really is a great actor. And the film was good, no big special effects, just a good story imo, beautifully played.
    Completely agree. Moon is a fine piece of work. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I am quite pissed of with the academy. Agro is simply the best thriller I have ever seen. It feels you with so much suspense that you're at the edge of your seat all throughout the movie. Even though it has been nominated for an Oscar, it's stupidly underrated. Ben Affleck WAS robbed of his Oscar nomination, it did a better job than Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings: Playbook and Denzel Washington in Flight.

Out of those who were nominated, Daniel Day Lewis should win the Oscar, I did a mighty job in Lincoln.

Has Leonardo DiCaprio done something to upset the academy? He work is constantly being overlooked.

Had anyone seen "Beasts of the Southern Wild"?

(Original post by Iamyourfather)
    Had anyone seen "Beasts of the Southern Wild"?
    :yep: It's fantastic, highly recommended.

ReputationRep:
    The Best Actor nominations are kind of meh. Most likely will go to Daniel Day Lewis, again.

I think Jennifer Lawrence should get the Best Actress one. She has been in so many top movies in such a short period of time, and good performances in there (she was amazing in Winter's Bone). So even if she doesn't win tonight, she will at some stage in her career. Probably the biggest young actress out there atm. Already second nomination for Best Actress in a Leading Role, and she's only 22. Would be second youngest to win.

(Original post by danny111)
    The Best Actor nominations are kind of meh. Most likely will go to Daniel Day Lewis, again.

I think Jennifer Lawrence should get the Best Actress one. She has been in so many top movies in such a short period of time, and good performances in there (she was amazing in Winter's Bone). So even if she doesn't win tonight, she will at some stage in her career. Probably the biggest young actress out there atm. Already second nomination for Best Actress in a Leading Role, and she's only 22. Would be second youngest to win.
    Quite interesting that they have Wallis, who would be the youngest ever to win it, as well as Riva, who would be the oldest!

Lawrence was great in Winter's Bone, but was she as good in Silver Linings Playbook?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Quite interesting that they have Wallis, who would be the youngest ever to win it, as well as Riva, who would be the oldest!

Lawrence was great in Winter's Bone, but was she as good in Silver Linings Playbook?
    Haven't seen the latter. It's about the competition though.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.