Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just watched Django Unchained; different gravy.

Having watched it, I can understand why Leo wasn't nominated. He was only introduced halfway into the film, and his performance wasn't spectacular enough to garner a nomination, it really would have to be amazing for him to be nominated considering the percentage of screen-time he had. Having said that, Christoph Waltz really could be nominated for Best Actor, he played the lead for 80%+ of the film, and was great.

Definitely rooting for Django to win Best Picture, although it seems an impossibility seeing as Tarantino isn't nominated for Best Director, which usually means it won't score enough votes to win Best Picture. I'm sure Christoph Waltz will pick up his award though, and maybe Tarantino for Original Screenplay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Just watched Django Unchained; different gravy.

Having watched it, I can understand why Leo wasn't nominated. He was only introduced halfway into the film, and his performance wasn't spectacular enough to garner a nomination, it really would have to be amazing for him to be nominated considering the percentage of screen-time he had. Having said that, Christoph Waltz really could be nominated for Best Actor, he played the lead for 80%+ of the film, and was great.
    Screen time seems to be a much less important factor in the female acting categories I've noticed. Anne Hathaway will probably win for Les Mis and she can't have been in the film for more than fifteen minutes in total. Judi Dench won for Shakespeare In Love with eight minutes screen time, and Beatrice Straight won for Network with only five minutes!

ReputationRep:
    Leo Di Caprio probably has the best monologue in the film as well. It's a shame he won't win.

(Original post by aja89)
    Screen time seems to be a much less important factor in the female acting categories I've noticed. Anne Hathaway will probably win for Les Mis and she can't have been in the film for more than fifteen minutes in total. Judi Dench won for Shakespeare In Love with eight minutes screen time, and Beatrice Straight won for Network with only five minutes!
    But those five minutes. :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Anne Hathaway will probably win for Les Mis and she can't have been in the film for more than fifteen minutes in total.
    Are you serious?! From all the publicity, I assumed she was the main character. :dontknow:

(Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    Are you serious?! From all the publicity, I assumed she was the main character. :dontknow:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    :ditto:
    She's more of a catalyst/important character than a main one. I'll write in spoiler tags in case you don't want to know!

Spoiler:
    Show

She's a girl that works at Hugh Jackman's factory who gets thrown out for lying about having a child who she sends money to a family to look after. Now that she doesn't have a job she turns to prostitution and sells her hair and her teeth and gets increasingly diseased and ill. Hugh Jackman then finds her again a while later and takes her to a hospital where she dies, but before she dies he promises that he will look after her daughter. This is all in the first half an hour or so and then the rest of the film is set years later with Amanda Seyfried playing her grown up daughter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    She's more of a catalyst/important character than a main one. I'll write in spoiler tags in case you don't want to know!

Spoiler:
    Show

She's a girl that works at Hugh Jackman's factory who gets thrown out for lying about having a child who she sends money to a family to look after. Now that she doesn't have a job she turns to prostitution and sells her hair and her teeth and gets increasingly diseased and ill. Hugh Jackman then finds her again a while later and takes her to a hospital where she dies, but before she dies he promises that he will look after her daughter. This is all in the first half an hour or so and then the rest of the film is set years later with Amanda Seyfried playing her grown up daughter.
    It's ok, I won't be going to see it. I hate musicals.

But thanks anyway

(Original post by aja89)

Spoiler:
    Show

Thanks for including spoiler tags; I guess I'll find out later.

ReputationRep:
    My brief thoughts on Gangster Squad.

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...genius-parody/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    Anyone who watches Zero Dark Thirty and comes away thinking it's any kind of endorsement of torture is mentally unsound and violently stupid.
    How do you know? It's not released yet.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know? It's not released yet.
    America? Screener?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    America? Screener?
    But you live in Zürich and presumably are not a member of an awards panel?

ReputationRep:
    I assume most have seen 'The Cove' by now, but I'd highly recommend it, alongside another documentary in a similar vein: 'Sharkwater'.

ReputationRep:
    But you live in Zürich and presumably are not a member of an awards panel?
    I haven't seen it. Was just a suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    I haven't seen it. Was just a suggestion.
    Sorry, just realised you're not the person I quoted! Duhh...

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, just realised you're not the person I quoted! Duhh...

:getmecoat:
    Lol I was a bit confused! That makes sense. But yes, realistically there are ways to see things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    My brief thoughts on Gangster Squad.

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...genius-parody/
    Definitely a 'so bad it's good' (well good-ish) film. Worth seeing alone for how bad Sean Penn can be when he doesn't have the right script/material and direction behind him.

Hope you get to see Django to make up for it soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugo Rune)
    Definitely a 'so bad it's good' (well good-ish) film. Worth seeing alone for how bad Sean Penn can be when he doesn't have the right script/material and direction behind him.

Hope you get to see Django to make up for it soon
    The plan is to see it on Monday, in the day time so most people will be at work! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's not hard to get screeners. I've already seen This is 40 and that doesn't come out here for months.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.