Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamyourfather)
    Django but I wouldn't say it was sensational.

I can't imagine Lincoln really appealing to a British audience, particularly the young British audience.

From what I can see, Zero Dark Thirty hasn't really been publicised enough in the UK. It's a shame as it looks really good.

Do you know when Avatar 2 comes out?
    Yeah, Django was decent and nothing more imo.

Hmmm, don't know how either Lincoln or ZDT would do overall at box office - all I know is they're what I'll be choosing to see. I think ZDT will get a viewership (or more of a viewership) because of the controversy it has around it. But it looks like a tough week for the pair of them as there's an Arnie film and a comedy also up for release.

Not a clue on Avatar 2. I still haven't seen the first

(Original post by Iamyourfather)
    What is the best film of the year (so far) in your opinion?
    If 2011 films released in cinemas in 2012 count, Once Upon A Time in Anatolia.

If not, Beasts of the Southern Wild. :yep:

A couple of films that I think might change my mind on the latter: Amour, Holy Motors, Berberian Sound Studio... maybe a couple of others that don't come to mind.

ReputationRep:
    Going to see Zero Dark Thirty later tonight, I have high hopes.

ReputationRep:
    Re-watching The Avengers atm.

Why does Hulk go nutty first time round and then able to control himself the second time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    I don't...mind this news. I don't love it, but it makes sense. He doesn't have a concrete 'style' as such (besides lens flares and shakycam in that one film) but that could make him even better suited to it, Star Wars having its own established visual style and all. Star Trek was also a pretty good reboot, and in terms of providing a digestible, entertaining action film divorced from nebulous TOS continuity he succeeded magnificently. However, Star Wars isn't in need of reinvention, but a return to what made the Original Trilogy great in the first place. He's a known fan and could well deliver, but I still don't know about this.
    I agree.

I just hope that it isn't visually the same as Star Trek. I'm sure it won't be, but it would be bizarre to muddle the franchises..

I was gunning for Spielberg or Whedon, but I think Abrams is a good choice in the end. As long as the writing and story are solid I think it'll be what we want to see (a fun sci fi fantasy with a nostalgic edge). With the writer of Empire Strikes Back it should be great.

Now onto the actual story - I hope they lurch forward in time. No aged Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)

Why does Hulk go nutty first time round and then able to control himself the second time?
    Yeah it makes no sense, especially since the entire point of the hulk is that Banner can't control it. It's pretty much killed the character. What storylines are there if Banner can control turning into the hulk and control himself in the hulk form?

The Hulk is unfilmable in my opinion. There's no development to be had without destroying his character or coming up with an absolutely absurd story arc (like World War Hulk). He's doomed to repeat the same cycle over and over, which is great for comics, but terrible for films.

ReputationRep:
    Just read the terms and conditions of the O2 Moments Odeon discount codes and they aren't valid for Django, so looks like I'll be seeing Lincoln on Monday instead!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)

The way i see it is Banner can 'choose' to go Hulk when he wishes as in the second time in New York, he is Hulk but Banner is still largely in control.

But The Hulk will still come forward when it feels Banner is at risk as seen on the aircarriershipcgi****fest and as he explains when he talks about killing himself, Hulk takes control.

So Banner can choose to 'Hulk' but he cannot choose to 'Not Hulk'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    Finally got around to Shadow Dancer last night. Really excellent. Superb performance from Andrea Riseborough (plus I finally found a film I didn't hate Clive Owen in).
    Meh, not as good as the original :grumble:

ReputationRep:
    Show of hands; who plans on seeing Hitchcock here? I sure as hell know I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    Show of hands; who plans on seeing Hitchcock here? I sure as hell know I am.
    I'll be seeing due to interest mainly. Not majorly excited.

ReputationRep:
    I saw Oldboy last night. What a disgusting film! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revent)
    I saw Oldboy last night. What a disgusting film! :eek:
    Blasphemy!

About to watch Zero Dark Thirty now. Really wanna see if Chastain deserves the Oscar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Blasphemy!

About to watch Zero Dark Thirty now. Really wanna see if Chastain deserves the Oscar.
    No, I mean the acting and stuff was great, but oh my god
    Spoiler:
    Show
    incest :puke:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revent)
    No, I mean the acting and stuff was great, but oh my god
    Spoiler:
    Show
    incest :puke:
    Oldboy is a great film.

On another note, just re-watched Zodiac and it is very tempting to say that I enjoyed it more than Se7en....

ReputationRep:
    Just finished Zero Dark Thirty. I think Jennifer Lawrence was better in Silver Linings. The film itself was really interesting though. I don't know how accurate and don't care too much, I liked the storyline and it was well made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    On another note, just re-watched Zodiac and it is very tempting to say that I enjoyed it more than Se7en....

Really?! I thought it was really weak. Sesing as hardly anything is known about the murderer in real life, there was absolutely nothing for the film to work on. The clichéd obsessed cop story was the only thing that got it limping past 60 minutes.

(Original post by danny111)
    Just finished Zero Dark Thirty. I think Jennifer Lawrence was better in Silver Linings. The film itself was really interesting though. I don't know how accurate and don't care too much, I liked the storyline and it was well made.
    Wait, what?

On the film itself, it was a decent experience. I felt like I was watching a special extended episode of Homeland with the female CIA protagonist singularly obsessed with locating a terrorist.

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Wait, what?

On the film itself, it was a decent experience. I felt like I was watching a special extended episode of Homeland with the female CIA protagonist singularly obsessed with locating a terrorist.
    I'm guessing he means he thought Lawrence was better in Silver Linings Playbook than Chastain was in Zero Dark Thirty.

I didn't really connect with Zero Dark Thirty. Think I might have to give it another watch before I make up my mind. It just seemed very one-sided, which I was uncomfortable with after going in expecting something a little more comprehensive. I thought Chastain was good but not fantastic in it. Also, pretty strange how high a billing Joel Edgerton got. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Wait, what?

Lol yea I thought of Carrie too. But she wasn't as crazy as Carrie.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.