Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    I'm guessing he means he thought Lawrence was better in Silver Linings Playbook than Chastain was in Zero Dark Thirty.

I didn't really connect with Zero Dark Thirty. Think I might have to give it another watch before I make up my mind. It just seemed very one-sided, which I was uncomfortable with after going in expecting something a little more comprehensive. I thought Chastain was good but not fantastic in it. Also, pretty strange how high a billing Joel Edgerton got. :dontknow:
    Yes, that is what I meant. I don't get how Chastain is favourite for winning it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Wait, what?

On the film itself, it was a decent experience. I felt like I was watching a special extended episode of Homeland with the female CIA protagonist singularly obsessed with locating a terrorist.
    I agree about Zero Dark Thirty. It was perfectly fine, but certainly not a game changer. I'd expected it to be better. As it is, it's really just another of those post-Bourne things with lots of computer screens, night vision goggles and soldiers running about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    I agree about Zero Dark Thirty. It was perfectly fine, but certainly not a game changer. I'd expected it to be better. As it is, it's really just another of those post-Bourne things with lots of computer screens, night vision goggles and soldiers running about.
    That is like the last fifth of the film...

ReputationRep:
    Of the nominated that I have seen here is my list:

1. Silver Linings Playbook
    2. Django Unchained
    3. Zero Dark Thirty
    4. Argo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    That is like the last fifth of the film...
    And it's a very well made last fifth of the film too.

Don't get me wrong, it's good. But since Bourne, everything in that vein has a similar look and feel. I guess I was just imagining something a bit more original, that's all.

And, for the record, I think the accusations that it supports torture are stupid. It depicts it, but that's because it's part of the story. If anything, I'd say the movie shows torture wasn't especially helpful in this operation.

Not showing torture would have been dishonest.

ReputationRep:
    And it's a very well made last fifth of the film too.

Don't get me wrong, it's good. But since Bourne, everything in that vein has a similar look and feel. I guess I was just imagining something a bit more original, that's all.

And, for the record, I think the accusations that it supports torture are stupid. It depicts it, but that's because it's part of the story. If anything, I'd say the movie shows torture wasn't especially helpful in this operation.

Not showing torture would have been dishonest.
    I totally agree. I mean the one thing that got Ammar to talk (in the movie at least) was tricking him. He may have been put into that position to believe more easily by torture, but I don't think water boarding and beating him had that much to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    So I've just went and watched Prometheus as well. I quite enjoyed it.

Few gripes.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I don't understand how Shaw can assault 2 crew members and birth a ****ing facehugger to such a nonchalant reaction. It seems like there's something missing or that it was ignored so the story could reach the end that it did.

I don't really follow the thing that births the Alien, though I'm not really familiar with Alien lore. Why do a giant starfish thing's babies turn out like that?

EDIT: everyone has probably seen the film but I'll spoiler it anyway.
    Unfortunately your first gripe can be explained by it being a poorly written and edited film :sad: I really enjoyed it for the ride it was, but the script and pacing/editing of the film just meant it became super confusing and ambiguous. If it was well-written it could have been one of the best sci fi movies of all time. Hoping the sequel can do better..

With regards to the second one:

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    So what...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I still don't get what the wepaon is or it's purpose. Was it an accident? Did they not mean to make humans?

Is Alien DNA the same as ours too?

Also what were the initial lifeforms they found? The snakey things that go inside people.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the snakes were worms + the goo stuff. When they first enter the room the camera shows a close up of some worms in the mud by the goo cannisters

Prometheus is a terrible terrible film. Everything about it is a shambles. I honestly don't know where to begin. The terrible teaser trailer that showed several of the most important scenes? The terrible script that kept talking about faith like an A Level philosophy student? The nonsensical narrative where characters make bizarre choices that are never explained? Just a mess.

ReputationRep:
    Saw Lincoln earlier... Anyone else seen? Thoughts?

I came back from it disappointed. This should have been a movie that was right up my street. Lots of talking, good acting, interesting characters and subject matter. Thought the cast were good and the various sub-plots alongside Lincoln's main arc were fine (Tommy Lee Jones's character and the trio of people hired by Lincoln of most note). But Spielberg ruins it. He cannot resist cranking up the score and force-feeding me the films message. I'm all for a degree of sentimentality but I feel like this needed a lighter touch. Ergh - quite angry!

Better films I've seen recently: Hiroshima mon amour and Anatomy of a Murder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    A so they were just bigger worms?

I didn't like the religious aspect of it all. I couldn't tell if they were making a mockery of faith or promoting or. Or maybe it was just there for no reason.

It struck me watching it about the teasers. IIRC we seen the Engineer head, the ship crashing. Well that's the important parts that I remember. Quite important plot points, really.
    I agree it's a bit of a messed up film. I *think* some of the answers will come later.

On the religious front, I was under the impression that:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The Engineers were pissed at humans and were coming to wipe them out because humans had replaced them with a Christian/other God. Or at least that was my understanding of it.

Again, Scott tried to have us interact with these big themes but made nothing clear.

ReputationRep:
    Back from Lincoln. 8/10.

Guaranteed Oscar for Daniel Day Lewis, Tommy Lee Jones deserves his too in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugo Rune)
    Saw Lincoln earlier... Anyone else seen? Thoughts?

I came back from it disappointed. This should have been a movie that was right up my street. Lots of talking, good acting, interesting characters and subject matter. Thought the cast were good and the various sub-plots alongside Lincoln's main arc were fine (Tommy Lee Jones's character and the trio of people hired by Lincoln of most note). But Spielberg ruins it. He cannot resist cranking up the score and force-feeding me the films message. I'm all for a degree of sentimentality but I feel like this needed a lighter touch. Ergh - quite angry!

Better films I've seen recently: Hiroshima mon amour and Anatomy of a Murder
    Absolutely spot on!

I went last night and felt exactly the same. Superb acting from DDL (and most if the cast), but I could have done without the overly manipulative handling. Spielberg simply can't help himself. We do not need swelling strings to tell us something important's happening FFS! Let the drama speak for itself.

Certainly worth seeing, but I really hope it doesn't sweep the board at the Oscars (ticking all the boxes as it certainly does). There have been far better films this year.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Prometheus was a good film underneath it's questionable flaws and one super annoying character, that gormless gimp in a white shirt who looked like he should be modeling for some crappy clothes catalog. Useless actor.

Anyway, just saw The Town and thought it was a good heist film, but a couple of the scenes were simply too far-fetched. If anyone else has seen it maybe they can help make sense of these scenes?

Spoiler:
    Show
    The part where they're cornered in a parking structure by half the city's police force and they just put on their cop uniforms and escape by walking along with a group of cops who have just come through the nearby door. Why have none of these officers been shown pics of the suspects before? The only guy who recognizes them was that FBI agent. Which leads me to the following scene where he catches up with one of them quickly walking away from the scene, tells him to turn around and drop the gun, he doesn't and waits until he reaches a nearby parked car, turns around and fires about 45 rounds at him... oh my lord, he misses. The FBI agent is none other than agent smith from the Matrix in disguise. Should've seen it coming really, they do have very similar lines of dialogue! But it's not over, the bandit continues to fire at him while he weaves around the car until the idiot has emptied his magazine on him then legs it down the street. The FBI agent fires his shotgun at his legs and misses. These guys would be crap at online shooters. I thought most the action scenes were done quite well up until this point.

ReputationRep:
    Prometheus was pure garbage. It was especially pathetic considering how the studios were promoting it as some masterpiece before the movie's release :rolleyes: The most sad and pitiable thing for Ridley Scott and his hack writers is the fact that most of the hate came from the fanboys of the Alien franchise

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely spot on!

I went last night and felt exactly the same. Superb acting from DDL (and most if the cast), but I could have done without the overly manipulative handling. Spielberg simply can't help himself. We do not need swelling strings to tell us something important's happening FFS! Let the drama speak for itself.

Certainly worth seeing, but I really hope it doesn't sweep the board at the Oscars (ticking all the boxes as it certainly does). There have been far better films this year.
    I'm surprised it's been so well received critically. The most it deserves at the Oscars would be some acting categories wins, costume and maybe cinematography. It'll probably clean up however :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugo Rune)
    I'm surprised it's been so well received critically. The most it deserves at the Oscars would be some acting categories wins, costume and maybe cinematography. It'll probably clean up however :sigh:
    It's about Lincoln, American hero. It was always going to be over-rated.

I don't know what it is, but Lincoln just strikes me as an extremely dull film. I have no intention of watching it unless I became an insomniac and sleeping tablets fail to do the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    It's about Lincoln, American hero. It was always going to be over-rated.
    True.

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I don't know what it is, but Lincoln just strikes me as an extremely dull film. I have no intention of watching it unless I became an insomniac and sleeping tablets fail to do the job.
    It's not dull - there's enough happening alongside the abolishing slavery part. But I wouldn't recommend wasting money on a cinema visit for it. When it pops up on TV at some point it's worth checking out, despite the faults.

ReputationRep:
    There's a Diana film coming out in the future, I think. The Academy will throw Oscars at that..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    There's a Diana film coming out in the future, I think. The Academy will throw Oscars at that..
    After The Queen and The Iron Lady it was only a matter of time. Wonder who will pay Diana? None of the big stars look anything like her. They'll probably go for Keira Knightley as token British actress... :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.