The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thugnificent.
can some1 reccomend me a good foreign thriller/drama/crime movie as good as Une Prophet/Rundskop(Bullhead)cheers :biggrin:

Give City of God a watch.
Reply 8441
can some1 reccomend me a good foreign thriller/drama/crime movie as good as Une Prophet/Rundskop(Bullhead)

cheers :biggrin:

Memories of Murder is awesome.
Reply 8442
FINALLY got around to watching Taken. Quite liked it :smile:

On to Amour now :smile:
Saw Die Hard 5 today and wish I hadn't complete waste of my money and time.
Original post by KingGoonIan
Saw Die Hard 5 today and wish I hadn't complete waste of my money and time.

The series has pretty much sucked since John McClane dropped the normal guy in a ludicrous situation thing and became Superman-with-a-full-auto.

Oscars tonight. Apparently Argo's going to win Best Picture on account of cleaning up at the other awards ceremonies and the fact that movies that blather on about the power of movies usually clean up. It's a pretty good film so I wouldn't mind that so much. Besides Les Mis and Silver Linings Playbook it's a pretty strong field overall, though I really wish I lived in a world where The Master was nominated and had a realistic shot.
I've seen City of God...brilliant flick.

I will check out Memories of Murder, thanks guys
can some1 reccomend me a good foreign thriller/drama/crime movie as good as Une Prophet/Rundskop(Bullhead)

Battle Royale

Death Note
To be honest (and as someone who loves films) I really don't understand why people give so much creedance to the Oscars. It's obviously more about politics than any objective judgement of the film, and the fact that films purposefully aim for the criteria that win (autobiography, depiction of disability or mental illness, whatever the popular topical event is at the time) and release them at the perfect time to get nominated (end of the year in the US) completely discredits them. And that's not to mention the ridiculous nomination sscheme where they just look at the popular films and then dish the nominations between them because seeing more films is too much effort for a judgement panel that's supposed to be representing the entire film industry. Oh, and increasing the number of nominations for each category to allow more DVDs to say "Academy nominated..." on the front too also goes to show the Oscars are only there as a marketing tool.

...so the question is, why does anyone respect them?!

(Really needed to get that off my back Haha)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8449

I Saw the Devil. (Korean).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588170/?ref_=sr_1
DON'T watch the trailer unless you want spoilers. It gives too much away to be honest. ~
Reply 8451
I won the Oscars prediction game that my friends and I played on the night. Got 17 correct in total. :sexface:

New blog post too, my top ten childhood films. Actually cried watching some of the clips I had to find! http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/top-ten-childhood-films/
Original post by aja89
I won the Oscars prediction game that my friends and I played on the night. Got 17 correct in total. :sexface:

New blog post too, my top ten childhood films. Actually cried watching some of the clips I had to find! http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/top-ten-childhood-films/

Homeward Bound! Heroic choice :biggrin:

That little clip is enough though. I'll saviour the memory and not rewatch at a danger of tainting it :tongue:
Original post by aja89

Wow, that is a lot to get right. I think I had 13 correct!
Reply 8454
Original post by Hugo Rune
I caught it recently and didn't think it was that bad. Solid drama/thriller and would rate it better than The Town (not seen Gone Baby Gone). Thought it was well scripted and directed for the most part but agreed, it probably wouldn't make a 2012 top 5 for me (it was one of the better films I've seen that are up for the Best Picture Oscar however). There were a few Hollywood-ised parts I could've done without, but can't have everything :tongue:

With respect to how the Iranian public were portrayed, I wasn't uncomfortable at all. Argo spoilers:

Spoiler

Sorry I've taken so long to reply to this. :colondollar: Always meant to but other things pushed it to the back of my mind!

I'll just spoiler it all to be safe:

Spoiler

Original post by TheMagicRat
I've seen Hidden and The White Ribbon. Both top quality films but Hidden leaves you with nothing but questions, which is something I like in a film.

I've heard a lot about The White Ribbon and The Piano Teacher, but not heard about Hidden before; thanks! :h:

Anyway, some brief thoughts on the films I've seen since posting:

- Les Miserables - I enjoyed it more than I'd expected. :awesome: However, throughout it I couldn't help but suspect that I might have liked it (perhaps significantly) more if I'd been reading or watching it on the stage. So yeah, I liked the story, but it felt rushed in the film, and it could have been better shot and all. But it was a nice breakaway from other more generic stuff. I'd watch it again just for the songs. :colondollar:

- Silver Linings Playbook - Ehh. :erm: I thought some of it was interesting but I wasn't really impressed by the film as a whole. I thought the writing was fairly poor and the directing rather too pointed and uneven. Some of the performances were fairly good though, I suppose; I wasn't really expecting that from Bradley Cooper! :p:

- Django Unchained - Honestly, I thought it was a dreadful mess. :erm: I just didn't get it at all. I ended up thinking that it must either have been so long since I'd watched a Tarantino film that I'd forgotten what to look out for, or that there were a lot of references to Westerns that I wasn't getting. I went out and rented Jackie Brown today to remind myself what I like about Tarantino (they were out of Reservoir Dogs). :o: So yeah, pretty shocked. Good things: I quite liked Waltz in it - this was the first of his films I'd seen where he displayed a really vulnerable side (previously seen Inglourius Basterds and Carnage), which I liked; I thought DiCaprio was interesting and a passable to fairly good Tarantino-esque OTT villain; some aspects of the script were interesting, like the Jackson-DiCaprio dynamic. But none of it came together for me - even less so than in Inglourius Basterds. :dontknow: Though the general acclaim does make me think I should later re-watch and re-evaluate it.

- The Sessions - I liked it, it was funny and charming. :yep: And powered by two fine central performances. Helen Hunt was very good, of course, but the highlight for me was John Hawkes, who I'd say reaffirms himself as one of the most under-appreciated actors out there. The direction was pretty simple, but that was good enough given the unusual/interesting plot. It did make me think.

- Shadow Dancer - Liked it, it was well-made and well-written (if a bit far-fetched). A fairly solid film. :yep:

Apologies if some of the above seems a bit hashed or hurried or disjointed. I'd typed out most of it (was writing about The Sessions) when I accidentally pressed 'Back' and lost almost all of it (the auto-save function managed to recover just a bit of it: about half-way through the Argo discussion) and had to re-type it. Still seething and upset. :sad: But I think I've covered most of it in broadly the same way as the original. :unsure:
(edited 11 years ago)
I gave Silver Linings Playbook a watch after the Oscars. It's a decent film but I really don't see why Jennifer Lawrence deserved an award for it.

In other news, Deadwood and Justified are immensely good shows.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I gave Silver Linings Playbook a watch after the Oscars. It's a decent film but I really don't see why Jennifer Lawrence deserved an award for it.

In other news, Deadwood and Justified are immensely good shows.

Did you not think she was great in it? I've seen a few of her other films but I was never overly impressed. I only saw SLP because it was the only film starting at the cinema and I surprisingly enjoyed it. Didn't think DeNiro had it in him anymore, not an amazing performance but he showed some charisma. Thought Lawrence was pretty amazing though, I'd have to see some of the other actresses performances but I'd say it was a well deserved award.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8457
Big one off the list of shame: finally watched Taxi Driver today. :biggrin:
Reply 8458
Original post by Abiraleft
Big one off the list of shame: finally watched Taxi Driver today. :biggrin:

God I love that film, what did you think?
Reply 8459
The Paperboy looks so ****ed up and awesome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending