Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

ReputationRep:
    A French film, Le serpent, with Yvan Attal.

Interesting thriller. 7/10

(Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Not just yet. Is that one decent as well? I briefly read something about it in my course book but can't quite remember what.
    Yeah, it's brilliant. :yep:

Though it has possibly the worst ending of any great film that I've ever seen. :sad: Deserves so much more. There are rumours that there's a different cut of it that still hasn't been found (it was slashed by the studio following its original release, and is only now being pieced back together to resemble something close to the original), but I'd say there's a good chance of that just being wishful thinking. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Yeah, it's brilliant. :yep:

Though it has possibly the worst ending of any great film that I've ever seen. :sad: Deserves so much more. There are rumours that there's a different cut of it that still hasn't been found (it was slashed by the studio following its original release, and is only now being pieced back together to resemble something close to the original), but I'd say there's a good chance of that just being wishful thinking. :p:
    I've give it a watch some night. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    can some1 reccomend me a good foreign thriller/drama/crime movie as good as Une Prophet/Rundskop(Bullhead)

cheers

(Original post by Thugnificent.)
    can some1 reccomend me a good foreign thriller/drama/crime movie as good as Une Prophet/Rundskop(Bullhead)cheers
    Give City of God a watch.

ReputationRep:
    can some1 reccomend me a good foreign thriller/drama/crime movie as good as Une Prophet/Rundskop(Bullhead)

cheers
    Memories of Murder is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    FINALLY got around to watching Taken. Quite liked it

On to Amour now

ReputationRep:
    Saw Die Hard 5 today and wish I hadn't complete waste of my money and time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingGoonIan)
    Saw Die Hard 5 today and wish I hadn't complete waste of my money and time.

The series has pretty much sucked since John McClane dropped the normal guy in a ludicrous situation thing and became Superman-with-a-full-auto.

Oscars tonight. Apparently Argo's going to win Best Picture on account of cleaning up at the other awards ceremonies and the fact that movies that blather on about the power of movies usually clean up. It's a pretty good film so I wouldn't mind that so much. Besides Les Mis and Silver Linings Playbook it's a pretty strong field overall, though I really wish I lived in a world where The Master was nominated and had a realistic shot.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen City of God...brilliant flick.

I will check out Memories of Murder, thanks guys

ReputationRep:

cheers
    Battle Royale

ReputationRep:
    Death Note

ReputationRep:
    To be honest (and as someone who loves films) I really don't understand why people give so much creedance to the Oscars. It's obviously more about politics than any objective judgement of the film, and the fact that films purposefully aim for the criteria that win (autobiography, depiction of disability or mental illness, whatever the popular topical event is at the time) and release them at the perfect time to get nominated (end of the year in the US) completely discredits them. And that's not to mention the ridiculous nomination sscheme where they just look at the popular films and then dish the nominations between them because seeing more films is too much effort for a judgement panel that's supposed to be representing the entire film industry. Oh, and increasing the number of nominations for each category to allow more DVDs to say "Academy nominated..." on the front too also goes to show the Oscars are only there as a marketing tool.

...so the question is, why does anyone respect them?!

(Really needed to get that off my back Haha)

ReputationRep:
    La haine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

cheers
    I Saw the Devil. (Korean).
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588170/?ref_=sr_1
    DON'T watch the trailer unless you want spoilers. It gives too much away to be honest. ~

ReputationRep:
    I won the Oscars prediction game that my friends and I played on the night. Got 17 correct in total. :sexface:

New blog post too, my top ten childhood films. Actually cried watching some of the clips I had to find! http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...ildhood-films/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    I won the Oscars prediction game that my friends and I played on the night. Got 17 correct in total. :sexface:

New blog post too, my top ten childhood films. Actually cried watching some of the clips I had to find! http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...ildhood-films/
    Homeward Bound! Heroic choice

That little clip is enough though. I'll saviour the memory and not rewatch at a danger of tainting it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)

Wow, that is a lot to get right. I think I had 13 correct!

(Original post by Hugo Rune)
    I caught it recently and didn't think it was that bad. Solid drama/thriller and would rate it better than The Town (not seen Gone Baby Gone). Thought it was well scripted and directed for the most part but agreed, it probably wouldn't make a 2012 top 5 for me (it was one of the better films I've seen that are up for the Best Picture Oscar however). There were a few Hollywood-ised parts I could've done without, but can't have everything

With respect to how the Iranian public were portrayed, I wasn't uncomfortable at all. Argo spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Overall I though the film did a decent job of displaying 'sides' in varying lights.

From the historical-type introduction the film begins I got the sense that the film was criticizing the U.S. (the U.S. sheltering someone was mentioned) so I immediately sympathised to an extent with why an Iranian might be angry with the U.S.. Then I thought the film did a good job of portraying the view of some Americans to contrast the actions of the Iranians. We see a Vietnam veteran saying he'd sign up if needed and a young person says something along the lines of; "Shoot a couple of them. Show them we mean business." There's footage of an person, presumably Iranian, getting shot by Iranian revolutionary soldiers contrasted with news footage of white people, presumably Americans, attacking a man of Eastern descent.

And finally, I thought the average Iranian was portrayed in multiple lights. The housekeeper to the Canadian embassy is foremost in my mind but also the scene in the bazaar when the 'film crew' are being toured around. Although some members of the public end up protesting the film crews presence, other Iranians speak up in support of them and they seem able to leave. I even thought that some of the public seemed to be indifferent to the Americans presence in this scene.

Maybe I'm looking through rose-tinted glasses :dontknow: Out of interest, which parts did you feel most uncomfortable about? Or was it more the general portrayal throughout?

Sorry I've taken so long to reply to this. Always meant to but other things pushed it to the back of my mind!

I'll just spoiler it all to be safe:

Spoiler:
    Show

Basically, I thought it was fairly enjoyable and engaging - so not a bad film - but not as substantial as it might have been. Basically, it seemed to be taking a step back in all respects: politically, it seemed pretty eager not to take sides, but took that to the extent of not saying much about the political context at all (I didn't think the minute-long (?) cartoon slideshow in the beginning amounted to much); also in terms of characterization, I think there was little there that made the characters interesting. Basically, the feeling I got was that only enough was revealed about the characters to push home a certain point (the one cynical dissident, for example, felt pretty contrived) - which would have been fine with me if there was a very interesting overarching theme (a la Blade Runner or Tree of Life), but there didn't really seem to be. It just felt like a bit of a shallow examination with a glossy surface, to be honest. Though I'll reiterate that it was pretty well-made in places (really liked the opening scene; at that point I thought it was going to be something pretty special!) and I agree that it was one of the better Best Picture contenders. :o: I don't want to sound too critical, because it wasn't a film I disliked; I just didn't think it was anything special.

Regarding The Town, I also remember feeling that it was a little messy and not being massively impressed by it, but I thought it had a good story and some very good performances - Renner being the obvious main attraction. Might have to give it another watch, though. As of now, I think my ranking of Affleck films would look like:

- Gone Baby Gone
    - The Town
    - Argo

However, I should say that I only watched the other two a couple of years ago! Thinking back, I suppose there is something to be admired in the way Argo manages to focus on narrative. :holmes: However, I do still think a lot of this narrative seemed pretty contrived.

Regarding the portrayal of the Iranian people, yeah, I was talking about the general portrayal rather than individual scenes. The housemaid was clearly painted as an exception to the rule - and perhaps that was actually the case, that's pretty conceivable. It was the portrayal of an entire populace as an irrational mass driven on endangering the protagonists that I thought was a bit disconcerting (and again, contrived to fit the narrative in too pointed a way). I realize that this is a movie - and a thriller at that - but I would have been interested to see a portrayal of the place that wasn't so archetypal.

Regarding the bit at the beginning, like I've said, it didn't do enough at all for me. It was an attempt, sure, but it didn't really produce enough of a sense of context for me to begin to judge the nature of the characterizations (which, given the historical nature of the film, I would think is important). Again, the disclaimer here is 'I realize this is a movie and a thriller at that", but the film just seemed happy to take a big step back from any in-depth analysis of the context and morality of proceedings. Which certainly could have been done and in my opinion would have made for a better film.

(Original post by TheMagicRat)
    I've seen Hidden and The White Ribbon. Both top quality films but Hidden leaves you with nothing but questions, which is something I like in a film.
    I've heard a lot about The White Ribbon and The Piano Teacher, but not heard about Hidden before; thanks!

Anyway, some brief thoughts on the films I've seen since posting:

- Les Miserables - I enjoyed it more than I'd expected. :awesome: However, throughout it I couldn't help but suspect that I might have liked it (perhaps significantly) more if I'd been reading or watching it on the stage. So yeah, I liked the story, but it felt rushed in the film, and it could have been better shot and all. But it was a nice breakaway from other more generic stuff. I'd watch it again just for the songs.

- Silver Linings Playbook - Ehh. :erm: I thought some of it was interesting but I wasn't really impressed by the film as a whole. I thought the writing was fairly poor and the directing rather too pointed and uneven. Some of the performances were fairly good though, I suppose; I wasn't really expecting that from Bradley Cooper! :p:

- Django Unchained - Honestly, I thought it was a dreadful mess. :erm: I just didn't get it at all. I ended up thinking that it must either have been so long since I'd watched a Tarantino film that I'd forgotten what to look out for, or that there were a lot of references to Westerns that I wasn't getting. I went out and rented Jackie Brown today to remind myself what I like about Tarantino (they were out of Reservoir Dogs). :o: So yeah, pretty shocked. Good things: I quite liked Waltz in it - this was the first of his films I'd seen where he displayed a really vulnerable side (previously seen Inglourius Basterds and Carnage), which I liked; I thought DiCaprio was interesting and a passable to fairly good Tarantino-esque OTT villain; some aspects of the script were interesting, like the Jackson-DiCaprio dynamic. But none of it came together for me - even less so than in Inglourius Basterds. :dontknow: Though the general acclaim does make me think I should later re-watch and re-evaluate it.

- The Sessions - I liked it, it was funny and charming. :yep: And powered by two fine central performances. Helen Hunt was very good, of course, but the highlight for me was John Hawkes, who I'd say reaffirms himself as one of the most under-appreciated actors out there. The direction was pretty simple, but that was good enough given the unusual/interesting plot. It did make me think.

- Shadow Dancer - Liked it, it was well-made and well-written (if a bit far-fetched). A fairly solid film. :yep:

Apologies if some of the above seems a bit hashed or hurried or disjointed. I'd typed out most of it (was writing about The Sessions) when I accidentally pressed 'Back' and lost almost all of it (the auto-save function managed to recover just a bit of it: about half-way through the Argo discussion) and had to re-type it. Still seething and upset. :sad: But I think I've covered most of it in broadly the same way as the original. :unsure:

I gave Silver Linings Playbook a watch after the Oscars. It's a decent film but I really don't see why Jennifer Lawrence deserved an award for it.

In other news, Deadwood and Justified are immensely good shows.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.