Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I gave Silver Linings Playbook a watch after the Oscars. It's a decent film but I really don't see why Jennifer Lawrence deserved an award for it.

In other news, Deadwood and Justified are immensely good shows.
    Did you not think she was great in it? I've seen a few of her other films but I was never overly impressed. I only saw SLP because it was the only film starting at the cinema and I surprisingly enjoyed it. Didn't think DeNiro had it in him anymore, not an amazing performance but he showed some charisma. Thought Lawrence was pretty amazing though, I'd have to see some of the other actresses performances but I'd say it was a well deserved award.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Big one off the list of shame: finally watched Taxi Driver today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Big one off the list of shame: finally watched Taxi Driver today.
    God I love that film, what did you think?

ReputationRep:
    The Paperboy looks so ****ed up and awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)

The trailer was enough to tell me I wouldn't like it: Zac Efron and Matthew McConaughey 'acting', a 'he's-hilarious-because-he-has-a-posh-English-accent' sidekick and the classic 'mmm hmmmm' racist caricature.

ReputationRep:
    Arbitrage. Just saw it today, quite liked it I'm clearly easy to please

(Original post by aja89)
    God I love that film, what did you think?
    I liked it, great character piece. :yep: At the time I thought the ending was a little odd, but on reflection I suppose it fits in and makes sense as a further exploration of the character and the idea of catharsis for him. It was interesting.

(Original post by aja89)

Not sure if I'll like this or not, but I think I will go and see it at some point. :p:

(Original post by Revent)
    Arbitrage. Just saw it today, quite liked it I'm clearly easy to please
    Looking forward to seeing this, it's been getting some good reviews. :yep:

Should watch a film today, but I haven't decided which one yet. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to seeing this, it's been getting some good reviews. :yep:

Should watch a film today, but I haven't decided which one yet. :holmes:
    Give it a watch I quite liked it, except for the ending Let me know what you think actually happened once you watch it :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Serendipity- standard Hollywood romance. Nevertheless a light watch.

Life of Pi- stunning visuals, nice story.

More TV than film, but I watched 'A Chip in the Sugar' from Talking Heads (Series 1) by and starring Alan Bennett, and I thought it was pretty fantastic. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Watched The Hobbit, loved it (huge fan of fantasy though and LotR are some of my favourite films ever) but can understand why some people may find it boring.

Why does the CGI look worse than they did in LotR though? Thought it was a bit weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Watched The Hobbit, loved it (huge fan of fantasy though and LotR are some of my favourite films ever) but can understand why some people may find it boring.

Why does the CGI look worse than they did in LotR though? Thought it was a bit weird.
    A combination of the higher frame rate and in LotR the extras were people in costume as opposed to CGI as they are in The Hobbit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    The trailer was enough to tell me I wouldn't like it: Zac Efron and Matthew McConaughey 'acting', a 'he's-hilarious-because-he-has-a-posh-English-accent' sidekick and the classic 'mmm hmmmm' racist caricature.

Matthew McConaughey is seriously good in last year's Killer Joe, pretty good in last year's Bernie, and reportedly good in last year's Magic Mike. I'm fairly sure I've read more than one article declaring 2012 'The Year of McConaughey', and I don't necessarily agree, but it was uncharacteristically solid for him. I'd check out Killer Joe in particular.

(Original post by Christien)
    Matthew McConaughey is seriously good in last year's Killer Joe, pretty good in last year's Bernie, and reportedly good in last year's Magic Mike. I'm fairly sure I've read more than one article declaring 2012 'The Year of McConaughey', and I don't necessarily agree, but it was uncharacteristically solid for him. I'd check out Killer Joe in particular.
    And apparently seriously good in the upcoming Mud. Strange times. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    And apparently seriously good in the upcoming Mud. Strange times. :dontknow:

He's an odd one. Spends the majority of his career phoning it in, decides at this late stage to suddenly be a good actor. He's Nicolas Cage in reverse.

ReputationRep:
    He's an odd one. Spends the majority of his career phoning it in, decides at this late stage to suddenly be a good actor. He's Nicolas Cage in reverse.
    Nicolas Cage was a good actor? :wink2:

I'll have to watch Killer Joe, I think.

'Nicolas Cage in reverse', I like that. :lol: I thought it was a strange year all round in that respect, with Bradley Cooper and Hugh Jackman getting Oscar nods and Bruce Willis seeming to get a taste for the artsy (Looper and Moonrise Kingdom). :dontknow:

(Original post by zjs)
    Nicolas Cage was a good actor? :wink2:

I'll have to watch Killer Joe, I think.
    Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation and Face/Off, from what I've seen, have him putting in really good performances. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    'Nicolas Cage in reverse', I like that. :lol: I thought it was a strange year all round in that respect, with Bradley Cooper and Hugh Jackman getting Oscar nods and Bruce Willis seeming to get a taste for the artsy (Looper and Moonrise Kingdom). :dontknow:
    Bruce Willis has always been a halfway decent actor. Perhaps it's the 'everyday hero' mould of Die Hard, but he was far more of a skilful actor than his action contemporaries such as Schwarzenegger, Seagal and even Stallone (allowing for the fact that the latter was excellent in Rocky; though this was essentially the one role he went on to play in everything).

Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation and Face/Off, from what I've seen, have him putting in really good performances. :yep:
    I seem him as very 'Cruise-ean' in his acting: he always plays Nicolas Cage, whatever the role, and I can't help but think 'it's Nicolas Cage' in every one of his roles (and I've seen the majority of his catalogue). I can never lose myself in one of his performances.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here seen Stoker yet?
    I really want to see it, and plan on seeing it as soon as possible/
    Seems like a We Need to Talk About Kevin vibe.
    c:

ReputationRep:
    Seeing Robot & Frank on Friday, hope I'm not disappointed.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.