Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Zero Dark Thirty

Not too shabby although I really don't see why the lead female was so hyped up. She did a standard job to me and not as nuanced as Claire Danes in Homeland.

If the film hadn't been based on a true story I think that it would have ended up with pretty average reviews as everything up until the breach was pretty standard stuff. The breach sequence was fantastic though :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Zero Dark Thirty

Not too shabby although I really don't see why the lead female was so hyped up. She did a standard job to me and not as nuanced as Claire Danes in Homeland.

If the film hadn't been based on a true story I think that it would have ended up with pretty average reviews as everything up until the breach was pretty standard stuff. The breach sequence was fantastic though :yep:
    You took the words right out of my mouth! Agree 100%

ReputationRep:
    Now is Good

Wow what a beautiful film, still crying a little. Anyone else seen it? I've seen quite a few "terminal ill main character" ones now, but I think this was beautifully made. And Paddy Considine was brilliant it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    He's an odd one. Spends the majority of his career phoning it in, decides at this late stage to suddenly be a good actor. He's Nicolas Cage in reverse.
    Ha-ha!

(Original post by zjs)
    Nicolas Cage was a good actor? :wink2:
    Saw this post, then was about to say this:

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation and Face/Off, from what I've seen, have him putting in really good performances. :yep:
    Face/Off is a great action movie, though I can't help but think it's firmly in the forbidden pleasure category. Both Leaving Las Vegas and Adaptation were top drawer pictures, undeniably. I caught the latter on Film4 a few weeks back. Was as good then as it was when it first came out.

I was recommended the film Doubt earlier today by a fellow buff, and saw it the very same day. Great film. I had a hard time believing that it wasn't included in any top list at all. Streep did a good job playing the irritable virago, and P.T. Hoffman, as always, was brilliant.

Not sure what's next on the list.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.chud.com/128667/safety-no...rassic-park-4/

That is a BIG ****ing gig for a guy with one (admittedly decent) film under his belt. Either gonna be a disaster or the best thing that's happened to the franchise since Sam Neill. Can't do that much more damage given 2 & 3 though, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Watched Looper, it was alright, ending ruined it.

(Original post by philistine)
    Ha-ha!

Saw this post, then was about to say this:

Face/Off is a great action movie, though I can't help but think it's firmly in the forbidden pleasure category. Both Leaving Las Vegas and Adaptation were top drawer pictures, undeniably. I caught the latter on Film4 a few weeks back. Was as good then as it was when it first came out.

I was recommended the film Doubt earlier today by a fellow buff, and saw it the very same day. Great film. I had a hard time believing that it wasn't included in any top list at all. Streep did a good job playing the irritable virago, and P.T. Hoffman, as always, was brilliant.

Not sure what's next on the list.
    See, I really liked Doubt, but there were a number of parts where I saw very clearly that something might have worked better on the stage than on the screen, and in that respect it seemed not to have been very skillfully adapted for the latter. Great story, fantastic acting, but I couldn't shake off the feeling that I might have enjoyed it more on the stage. :holmes:

By the by, I watched Unforgiven the other day and really enjoyed it - Mr Hackman was excellent indeed! :hat2:

Spoiler:
    Show

I thought it was very interesting in light of the recent gun control debate. It's clear which side Mr Eastwood is on, and I don't agree with his or what seems to be the film's general politics (although to be fair there was a tentative sort of moral ambiguity that pervaded - just towards the ending that a lot of lines are hardened: 'He wasn't armed!' 'Then he should have armed himself.') but there was still a very interesting and well-constructed parable about the state and the individual woven into it. Very intelligent stuff, very nicely done - to be perfectly honest, better and much more substantial than I was expecting. :yep:

Also watched The Pianist. It was all right.

Spoiler:
    Show

At a couple of points in the first half of the film, I was thinking, 'Well, this is just a lot of particularly shocking images and episodes selectively put together to show that the Nazis did bad things.' That wasn't really very endearing to me, as there was a very 'pushing a message in your face' vibe but with a message which everyone already knows and with an easy punching bag in the Nazis. It got better as it went on, though, as it focussed more on the protagonist as an individual rather than just an observer. I, erm, liked the part where he plays the piano. But yeah, when he plays the piano towards the end for the Nazi captain (?) it was pretty effectively cathartic.

And watched Ginger and Rosa. It was also quite good!

Spoiler:
    Show

Two fine central performances from Fanning and newcomer Alice Englert. The metaphors, which begin to pervade the lives of the characters as well, were fairly good as well, though the dialogue at times seemed very pointed and almost contrived in a way. I would have liked for the thrust to be a little more subtle, and to see more of the dynamic between the two central characters throughout - there was a good amount in the opening half, but then Rosa sort of faded away (which made sense with regard to the narrative, admittedly). The dinner scene with Rosa, Ginger and Rolind where Ginger breaks down is one of the most uncomfortable I've ever scene, it was excellent. :yep: On the other hand, though, Annette Benning's character just came across as a very stereotypical helpful psychiatrist figure with no characterization outside of a very specific tool-role - her character was annoying, to put it bluntly. And the final act felt too much like it was being forced towards a dramatic conclusion. Might actually have worked a bit better on the stage - it was a bit like a Greek play - but it just wasn't very subtle. Well worth a watch on the whole, though, one of the better 2012 films I've seen. :yep:

Also watched The Apple and The Lives of Others, which I've talked a bit about in the Foreign Films Society Thread.

ReputationRep:
    See, I really liked Doubt, but there were a number of parts where I saw very clearly that something might have worked better on the stage than on the screen, and in that respect it seemed not to have been very skillfully adapted for the latter. Great story, fantastic acting, but I couldn't shake off the feeling that I might have enjoyed it more on the stage. :holmes:
    I liked it too. My only problem is the title. Nothing is in doubt, in fact!

By the by, I watched Unforgiven the other day and really enjoyed it - Mr Hackman was excellent indeed! :hat2:
    Agreed. Hackman is always excellent. If you liked that, you should definitely watch The Quick and the Dead :awesome:

And watched Ginger and Rosa. It was also quite good!
    Really liked that film. Elle Fanning's English accent is most impressive. (Americans usually struggle with English accents). Excellent performances all round, in fact

ReputationRep:
    Watched The Chaser, thought it was really good, despite being a pretty depressing/bleak watch, it was pretty heartbreaking actually thinking about it. The acting was top notch, and it was pretty funny at times. As good as I Saw the Devil, maybe even better. Will probably need to watch it again sometime in the future.

Korean cinema rarely ever lets me down, apart from Lady Vengeance I haven't seen one that I'd rate below 7. They make great thrillers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Korean cinema rarely ever lets me down, apart from Lady Vengeance I haven't seen one that I'd rate below 7. They make great thrillers.
    Couldn't agree more. As is usually the case, and as many burgeoning Korean film fans tend to do, I saw Oldboy way before I'd seen the other two installments in the vengeance trilogy. My friend said Lady Vengeance was his favourite of the three, so I decided to watch that first.

Was hugely disappointed. I think it was highly flawed in the sense that the director wasn't female. He couldn't really feel what it was like to be a woman wronged, simply by dint of the fact that he wasn't a woman. This was further personified due to his absolutely nonpareil counterparts in the same trilogy, Mr Vengeance and Oldboy.

I'd say Oldboy was my favourite of the three, closely followed by Mr Vengeance, and way, waaaaaaaay down at the bottom is Lady Vengeance. Seriously, I'd never watch that film again.

The last film I watched was Quo Vadis, with Peter Ustinov (added him straight to my favourite actors list, by the way). It was quite poignant actually, as a close friend of mine suddenly disappeared off Skype without warning.

Quo vadis? = Whither goest thou?

Abiraleft: Huzzah! :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Watched The Chaser, thought it was really good, despite being a pretty depressing/bleak watch, it was pretty heartbreaking actually thinking about it. The acting was top notch, and it was pretty funny at times. As good as I Saw the Devil, maybe even better. Will probably need to watch it again sometime in the future.

So true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    Couldn't agree more. As is usually the case, and as many burgeoning Korean film fans tend to do, I saw Oldboy way before I'd seen the other two installments in the vengeance trilogy. My friend said Lady Vengeance was his favourite of the three, so I decided to watch that first.

Was hugely disappointed. I think it was highly flawed in the sense that the director wasn't female. He couldn't really feel what it was like to be a woman wronged, simply by dint of the fact that he wasn't a woman. This was further personified due to his absolutely nonpareil counterparts in the same trilogy, Mr Vengeance and Oldboy.

I'd say Oldboy was my favourite of the three, closely followed by Mr Vengeance, and way, waaaaaaaay down at the bottom is Lady Vengeance. Seriously, I'd never watch that film again.
    I struggled to finish Lady Vengeance, I just wasn't feeling it at all. Oldboy is awesome, I doubt the remake will be as good but I'm looking forward to seeing how they do it.

(Original post by danny111)
    So true.
    Which other one's have you seen?

I've been through...

Oldboy
    Lady Vengeance
    Mr. Vengeance
    I Saw The Devil
    The Man From Nowhere (this and Oldboy are my favourite)
    Memories of Murder (awesome, reminded me of Zodiac)
    A Bittersweet Life
    The Chaser

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    Can anyone explain to me why Arbitrage got completely overlooked by the Oscars? It can't be timing, surely, as it was released in the USA in September?

It's really superb.
    I totally agree. Arbitrage is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I saw The Paperboy today, here's my review!

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...ty-satisfying/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    I saw The Paperboy today, here's my review!

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...ty-satisfying/
    Good review. Thanks for that. This film has been on my list, so it's good to hear it's worthwhile.

+repped

(Btw - small mistake on your blog. "who would of have thought he can actually act, in a proper film...")

I liked it too. My only problem is the title. Nothing is in doubt, in fact!
    Didn't you think there was an aura of doubt about the morality of things? I thought there was quite a nice deontological-consequentialist dichotomy. :holmes:

Agreed. Hackman is always excellent. If you liked that, you should definitely watch The Quick and the Dead :awesome:
    Noted! :ta:

Really liked that film. Elle Fanning's English accent is most impressive. (Americans usually struggle with English accents). Excellent performances all round, in fact
    I double-checked after the film whether she was English or American.

ReputationRep:
    I know I have mentioned this in another thread, but I am genuinely baffled at the lack of adulation for End of Watch. It doesn't even have its own thread in this august forum! It really is an excellent piece of work and Mr Gylenhaal is as wathcable as ever. If you've not seen it, please do.

I know I have mentioned this in another thread, but I am genuinely baffled at the lack of adulation for End of Watch. It doesn't even have its own thread in this august forum! It really is an excellent piece of work and Mr Gylenhaal is as wathcable as ever. If you've not seen it, please do.
    Tis on my to-watch list. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Good review. Thanks for that. This film has been on my list, so it's good to hear it's worthwhile.

+repped

(Btw - small mistake on your blog. "who would of have thought he can actually act, in a proper film...")
    Thanks man.

ReputationRep:
    Red dawn wow what a pile .. josh peck wow just wow hes so bad

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.