Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

ReputationRep:
    Watched Ghost last night. Enjoyable but pretty average really, surprised it was nominated for Best Picture. Whoopi Goldberg was good though.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone seen the 2010 Australian film Animal Kingdom? I saw it last night. I have to throw it out there- one of the best movies I have ever seen. It's not been seen by very many people at all, which is such a shame, because it's an absolute gem.

It follows the life of a Melbourne crime family and their downfall. It's not the typical 'gangster' movie, though. I won't ruin it.

From Wikipedia:

Animal Kingdom has received overwhelming critical acclaim. Review aggregate Rotten Tomatoes reports that 97% of critics have given the film a positive review, "Certified Fresh", based on 146 reviews, with an average score of 8.1 out of 10. The critical consensus is: "With confident pacing, a smart script, and a top-notch cast, Animal Kingdom represents the best the Australian film industry has to offer."[11]
    David Stratton said on At the Movies: "It's so lovely to see a really good Australian film. And we're not admiring this because it's an Australian film, because it's a very good film," adding, "The revelation here is Jacki Weaver, always a fine actor but seldom revealing the depths of character she does here. All the performances are superb, down to the small parts - like Dan Wyllie as the family's lawyer and Anna Lisa Phillips [sic] as Josh's barrister." Stratton and co-host Margaret Pomeranz both gave the film four and a half stars

(Original post by navarre)
    Anyone seen the 2010 Australian film Animal Kingdom? I saw it last night. I have to throw it out there- one of the best movies I have ever seen. It's not been seen by very many people at all, which is such a shame, because it's an absolute gem.

It follows the life of a Melbourne crime family and their downfall. It's not the typical 'gangster' movie, though. I won't ruin it.

From Wikipedia:

Animal Kingdom has received overwhelming critical acclaim. Review aggregate Rotten Tomatoes reports that 97% of critics have given the film a positive review, "Certified Fresh", based on 146 reviews, with an average score of 8.1 out of 10. The critical consensus is: "With confident pacing, a smart script, and a top-notch cast, Animal Kingdom represents the best the Australian film industry has to offer."[11]
    David Stratton said on At the Movies: "It's so lovely to see a really good Australian film. And we're not admiring this because it's an Australian film, because it's a very good film," adding, "The revelation here is Jacki Weaver, always a fine actor but seldom revealing the depths of character she does here. All the performances are superb, down to the small parts - like Dan Wyllie as the family's lawyer and Anna Lisa Phillips [sic] as Josh's barrister." Stratton and co-host Margaret Pomeranz both gave the film four and a half stars
    :yep: I really liked it as well. Excellent ending, and some of the individual scenes are so well done. That year was a really good year for mainstream films imo. :moon:

Also, watched A Separation yesterday. It's fantastic. Highly, highly recommended, every element wound up tight and done close to perfection (though I still think Once Upon a Time in Anatolia was the best film I watched that year!).

So, I watched Cool Hand Luke a couple of days ago - another one off the list! :awesome: - and I liked it, it was very well shot and Paul Newman was pretty awesome in it.

Spoiler:
    Show

The egg-eating competition is one of the tensest scenes I've ever watched. :p:

And yesterday, I watched Take Shelter, liked that as well! It was beautifully shot and composed, and the pacing was just right, I felt. Some of the scenes were very well-directed, and Michael Shannon was absolutely great in it - he really should be getting more lead roles. I liked Jessica Chastain in it as well, her character here was very different from what she played in Zero Dark Thirty or The Tree of Life.

However,

Spoiler:
    Show

While the ending was given a twist designed to make you think, I couldn't help but feel that perhaps it was a little unnecessary. The rest of the movie had gone by with very little need for gimmick, so this seemed to ring a bit of a false note. It wasn't terrible and it didn't spoil the movie, but yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)

From Wikipedia:

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    :yep: I really liked it as well. Excellent ending, and some of the individual scenes are so well done. That year was a really good year for mainstream films imo. :moon:
    Totally agree. Animal Kingdom is excellent. Brooding and menacing.

A bit surprised it hasn't been mentioned already, but the Cannes Film Festival line-up has been released.

Movies I'd heard of (pretty much in order of how interested I am):

Behind the Candelabra, dir Steven Soderbergh
    Only Lovers Left Alive, dir Jim Jarmusch
    Inside Llewyn Davis, dir Ethan and Joel Coen
    Only God Forgives, dir Nicolas Winding Refn
    The Great Gatsby, dir Baz Luhrmann
    The Bling Ring, dir Sofia Coppola

Movies I hadn't previously heard of but am interested in:

La Grande Bellezza, dir Paulo Sorrentino
    La Venus a la Fourrure, dir Roman Polanski
    Nebraska, dir Alexander Payne
    Le Passe, dir Asghar Farhadi
    Les Salauds, dir Claire Denis
    As I Lay Dying, dir James Franco

And of course, one of the best things about festivals is you hear about great films and directors you'd never heard of before.

ReputationRep:
    Violet & Daisy finally has a release date, 7th June, according to IMDB.

Been waiting so long for that

ReputationRep:
    Saw Star Trek: Into Darkness; absolutely loved it. Have a couple things I'm iffy about but on the whole it was well worth the ride. Need to let it sink in a bit more but at moment I still prefer Star Trek (2009) to this.

Imo this isn't the triumph that its predecessor was, but it is still a great film.

Major spoilers as per usual:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Disappointed with the traditional Hollywood blockbuster type ending. Could see Kirks fate from a mile off so its ending was expected. Guess I wanted something original from it but it couldn't deliver on that aspect. Though can't say I'm surprised with this decision - and I didn't really want Kirk to die anyway.

Also:
    Benedict Cumberbatch was superb as I expected. Loved Spock's KHAN!! as well

ReputationRep:
    I'm now looking forward to this:

Oh, and Fast and Furious 6 (never thought I'd say that :getmecoat:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    I'm now looking forward to this:

Oh, and Fast and Furious 6 (never thought I'd say that :getmecoat:)
    Jesse Eisenberg is always a good reason to see a film (Zombieland omg with Emma) and the trailer does look enticing.

ReputationRep:
    Will a 15-year-old boy enjoy The Great Gatsby ?

I've seen the original film and I was wondering if it's worth watching the re-make.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone seen Mud yet? I really want it to be good.

ReputationRep:
    Star Trek is pretty damn amazing.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone fancies watching I make my own stop motion videos! I want to be a film director and am studying film and creative media at University of the West of England next year! please watch at http://www.youtube.com/user/meghoughtongilmour it means a lot! thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~MEG~)
    If anyone fancies watching I make my own stop motion videos! I want to be a film director and am studying film and creative media at University of the West of England next year! please watch at http://www.youtube.com/user/meghoughtongilmour it means a lot! thank you
    I've just watched some of your videos. I think they're excellent! I loved 'Journeys' and 'Everyday I'm Shufflin' especially.

If you don't mind me asking, what software do you use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alouette-)
    I've just watched some of your videos. I think they're excellent! I loved 'Journeys' and 'Everyday I'm Shufflin' especially.

If you don't mind me asking, what software do you use?
    awh wow thank you! For Everyday I'm shufflin' I just compiled all the pictures on Imovie but for Journeys I upgraded to Istopmotion thanks again for watching!

ReputationRep:
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a run of the mill standard action flick, it was OK. Not memorable in any way, and it doesn't capture the spirit of Trek... although the same can probably be said for the other Trek films too.

ReputationRep:
    Went to see French film Populaire yesterday, my thoughts!

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...iting-edition/

ReputationRep:
    Just watched the Seventh Seal; first Bergman film I've seen. I found it really enjoyable; it beautifully shot as well, especially all those wide angles of the coast. Nothing like a bit of existentialist anguish, either.

ReputationRep:
    I watched Trance today. Absolutely intense film, gripping to the very last second. It's a bit jumpy at parts but watching it all unfold was incredible. Highly recommend it if you have 95 minutes spare. :yy:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.