Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al0)
    Do any of you guys run your own blogs/write for any websites or blogs and review films? I'd like to write for a blog or a website to help create a portfolio for myself or do you guys reckon I should just start writing on my own one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by aja89)
    New blog post today! My second journey in to the IMDb bottom 100. This time it's #14.

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...to-kelly-2003/

aja does

ReputationRep:
    Seems a long time since I've been on here. Hope everyone who was breathing the last time I was in is still doing so, and with as little difficulty as possible.

I've just realised I've been registered on here for five years now. That's depressing.

Film wise: I saw Avengers Assemble last week (late to the party) and it was actually pretty enjoyable. I was surprised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)

Film wise: I saw Avengers Assemble last week (late to the party) and it was actually pretty enjoyable. I was surprised.
    It's rather jolly good fun isn't it? :^_^: Some of the hyperbole around it is rediculous and I still find 'then aliens' to be slightly bizzare but the character interactions are wonderful. Mark Ruffalo should just go and be in everything :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    It's rather jolly good fun isn't it? :^_^: Some of the hyperbole around it is rediculous and I still find 'then aliens' to be slightly bizzare but the character interactions are wonderful. Mark Ruffalo should just go and be in everything :daydreaming:
    Why are you hyphenating the part about aliens? Is "then aliens" some kind of Avengers-based meme I've missed, relating to the fact they see to come out of nowhere? Or are you just quoting yourself referring to the aliens?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    Why are you hyphenating the part about aliens? Is "then aliens" some kind of Avengers-based meme I've missed, relating to the fact they see to come out of nowhere? Or are you just quoting yourself referring to the aliens?
    'And then x' or 'Suddenly: x' is a sort of meme I hear around although it's fairly uncommon. It's just used to say an event occured that came out of nowhere are was rather giggle inducing in it's weirdness :3

ReputationRep:
    Just saw the trailer for another YA adaptation (Divergent). They seem to be struggling a lot recently (Percy Jackson, Mortal Instruments, Beautiful Creatures, The Host etc etc), surprised they keep making more. They always pick the crap one's to adapt as well.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about seeing Elysium tomorrow, anyone seen it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Just saw the trailer for another YA adaptation (Divergent). They seem to be struggling a lot recently (Percy Jackson, Mortal Instruments, Beautiful Creatures, The Host etc etc), surprised they keep making more. They always pick the crap one's to adapt as well.
    The last Percy Jackson film wasn't actually all that bad, Anthony Head was rather wonderful Didn't mind Beautiful Creatures either, Emma Thompson just makes everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    The last Percy Jackson film wasn't actually all that bad, Anthony Head was rather wonderful Didn't mind Beautiful Creatures either, Emma Thompson just makes everything.
    I haven't seen any of them, I was just referring to box office numbers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    I haven't seen any of them, I was just referring to box office numbers!
    Did Percy Jackson actually do that bad though? I thought it was scrapping by okay, but then again I don't pay that much attention to box office :rolleyes: If my brainverse Wim Wenders is always number one :awesome:

But yeah, Beautiful Creatures is as good as dead Shame really, it's an awful lot better than the romance in Twilight.

ReputationRep:
    Just came back from seeing The Kings of Summer. Wow guys, it only has a week-long run here in the UK but it was fantastic! Cinematically beautiful and one of the best coming-of-age films I've seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al0)
    Just came back from seeing The Kings of Summer. Wow guys, it only has a week-long run here in the UK but it was fantastic! Cinematically beautiful and one of the best coming-of-age films I've seen.
    Good stuff. It's on my list. It's been compared favourably to Stand By Me

I have just seen Call Girl - a dark, noirish Swedish political thriller. Drab 1970s colour palette and superb period details (the hair, the clothes, the cars...). A pretty heartbreaking central performance from Sofia Karemyr as a teenage prostitute and it leaves you feeling pretty outraged by the injustice of what is basically a true story. Very good indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Decided not to see Elysium today and went with The Way, Way Back instead.

My thoughts! http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...on-janney-fun/

ReputationRep:
    anyone think Heat is a seriously underrated film?

The ending, with that music, is just :eek:

Definitely one of my favourite move endings of all time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrmicrosoft)
    anyone think Heat is a seriously underrated film?

The ending, with that music, is just :eek:

Definitely one of my favourite move endings of all time
    I completely agree. When people think of the greatest action/cop films they say things like Die Hard and Terminator but what about Heat? That street bust up and the perfect bank robbery. Mann is certainly the most underrated director. He makes things like Manhunter, Last of the Mohicans and The Insider. One of the best directors of all time but yet barely no mention.

"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

ReputationRep:
    So with Kermode liking the One Direction film, anyone here actually interested in watching it (it is directed by Morgan Spurlock after all)? I was intrigued by that Channel4 documentary about the fans of said boy band. But I'm scared that if I go by myself (I doubt I will find anyone willing to go with me) it'll be full of teenage girls and might feel a bit out of place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup)
    So with Kermode liking the One Direction film, anyone here actually interested in watching it (it is directed by Morgan Spurlock after all)? I was intrigued by that Channel4 documentary about the fans of said boy band. But I'm scared that if I go by myself (I doubt I will find anyone willing to go with me) it'll be full of teenage girls and might feel a bit out of place.
    Nah still 0 interest haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup)
    I completely agree. When people think of the greatest action/cop films they say things like Die Hard and Terminator but what about Heat? That street bust up and the perfect bank robbery. Mann is certainly the most underrated director. He makes things like Manhunter, Last of the Mohicans and The Insider. One of the best directors of all time but yet barely no mention.

"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."
    Hm is it underrated though? Everyone who speaks of it speaks very highly. I mean Die Hard is just so known because it got put into a series

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Decided not to see Elysium today and went with The Way, Way Back instead.

My thoughts! http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...on-janney-fun/
    :eek:

You didn't enjoy Juno?

And really curious to see Carrell now after that review.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup)

I'm bitterly disappointed that you didn't mention Collateral, one of my favourites films ever, Tom Cruise is a badass mofo in it.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.