Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    Hollywood rarely remakes films to add something new to a film, its usually all about the $$$ and nothing else.

The fact he said "We want this to be seen by as wide an audience as possible" shows that they don't care about the film itself.
    Well screw them I'll torrent it ain't getting my money

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Saw rush recently. Really good film. Enjoyed it, the medical scenes were done really well if a tad graphic

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Midnight in Paris

Charming little movie. I've never really watched Woody Allen movies before. Enjoyable, well written. I'd recommend it. 8/10

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    New blog post. Review of Diana. Spoiler: it's ****ing awful.

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...diana-oh-dear/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Totally deflated now. Wtf is the point of making Robocop? Definitely not watching this in cinema. Itccan't possibly be dark or violent at a 12 cert
    Did you see the trailer when you made your post about it 2 weeks ago? If so, how could you not realize it looks like yet another remake?

ReputationRep:
    New Oldboy remake looks pretty uninspired. Doesn't look any different from the original (besides language etc.). Can't help but wonder if Lee redid it just to cash in on a great story that many people won't be aware of because of the language barrier

ReputationRep:
    Yassssssssss, the greatest comedy of all time

Also Robocop looks good. It'll just be a summer flick, but it doesn't look shabby :dontknow:

Watched Lust, Caution yesterday; didn't think especially highly of it. I managed to find and read the novella before I watched it, and I'm not a big fan of the way they've re-written and executed it. The written story was concise and very taut: it seemed to find its tension in the dilemma of serious introspection. Instead of trying to explore ways of channeling this inner conflict onto the screen, Lee and co have laid it out so as to overstate each aspect of plot development: what they are trying to say about each character and scenario is very obvious and this creates a lot of superfluity. Apart from that, it really changes the central tone of the story with the liberties it takes with the characters: by the end, it's changed what was written as a complex almost-cynical drama into a Hollywoodized idealist tragedy. Quite frankly, the best thing about it are probably the sex scenes; it's what the film is best known for, and you can see why - they are for the most part pretty artfully done (though even here I feel they've gone out of their way to try and make it more 'interesting' than it really needs to be).

So yeah, if anyone is considering watching or evaluating it, I'd recommend reading the book as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Yassssssssss, the greatest comedy of all time

Also Robocop looks good. It'll just be a summer flick, but it doesn't look shabby :dontknow:
    I thought Robocop looked terrible tbh. A metal arm with a human hand. A flick down visor. He is essentially a human in body armour.

And it's a 12 :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    I thought Robocop looked terrible tbh. A metal arm with a human hand. A flick down visor. He is essentially a human in body armour.

And it's a 12 :sigh:
    Looks crap!!

The original is awesome even today. Much better than the likes of Dredd and there's over a 20 year gap. What a shame.

(Original post by noggins)
    Did you see the trailer when you made your post about it 2 weeks ago? If so, how could you not realize it looks like yet another remake?
    No didn't see the trailer the cast, the director...they had me fooled. "Widest audience possible." Cashing in again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey people
    Haven't actually posted here in a while. Insidious 2 is the latest movie I've seen. Was quite disappointing mainly because it was yet anther movie that didn't scare me but the plot was pretty good. Hopefully the next on with be better. I think it had some cinematic qualities but not many, just didn't wow me at all. Felt like it needed something more.
    Really excited to go and see Rush, it has been rated so highly and looks absolutely fantastic I think they cast it very well. Can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    The new Thor is going to be awesome! I'm really excited for that as well!
    It seems to have just the right amount of comedy, good amount of action & drama.
    The plot is veryy interesting as well. Chris Hemsworth is fantastic, think this may actually top the last one.

ReputationRep:
    Nearly finished watching The Purge.

Honestly. What happened? I remember reading about it and getting excited about the trailer, thinking what a great concept. How did they screw it up so badly?

ReputationRep:
    Watched a few of the films on iPlayer this week.

Sliding Doors- interesting concept and I enjoyed it.
    A Single Man- was alright, nothing too special but Colin Filth played his character very well.
    The History Boys- Fantastic film.
    Citizen Kane- It was decent and I did like the little twist at the end with Rosebud.

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to watching Blue Jasmine, Kermode says Cate Blanchett is nailed on for the Best Actress Oscar. An early shout!

ReputationRep:
    I'm really looking forward to American Hustle, the Wolf of Wall street and 12 years a slave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Looking forward to watching Blue Jasmine, Kermode says Cate Blanchett is nailed on for the Best Actress Oscar. An early shout!
    About time she gets the leading role one I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Watched Lust, Caution yesterday; didn't think especially highly of it. I managed to find and read the novella before I watched it, and I'm not a big fan of the way they've re-written and executed it. The written story was concise and very taut: it seemed to find its tension in the dilemma of serious introspection. Instead of trying to explore ways of channeling this inner conflict onto the screen, Lee and co have laid it out so as to overstate each aspect of plot development: what they are trying to say about each character and scenario is very obvious and this creates a lot of superfluity. Apart from that, it really changes the central tone of the story with the liberties it takes with the characters: by the end, it's changed what was written as a complex almost-cynical drama into a Hollywoodized idealist tragedy. Quite frankly, the best thing about it are probably the sex scenes; it's what the film is best known for, and you can see why - they are for the most part pretty artfully done (though even here I feel they've gone out of their way to try and make it more 'interesting' than it really needs to be).

So yeah, if anyone is considering watching or evaluating it, I'd recommend reading the book as well.
    Ah, I wasn't aware that there was a book! I might give it a read in the hopes of finding more substance. I wanted to like the film but just found it a little... empty? It was pretty and well-acted but felt like they'd missed something really vital.

ReputationRep:
    Having re-watched Cloverfield I can confirm that, yeah, it really is pretty good.

The acting seems pretty B-movie quality during the opening fifteen minutes or so (i.e. the party scene) but is actually believable thereafter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    Having re-watched Cloverfield I can confirm that, yeah, it really is pretty good.

The acting seems pretty B-movie quality during the opening fifteen minutes or so (i.e. the party scene) but is actually believable thereafter.
    Yeah I totally agree. I think the first part almost feels a little out of place.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.