Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    Hmm.. Not heard of 12 years a slave - when was it released?

I didn't think much of Children of Men, I'm afraid. :nope:
    It's scheduled to be released next month, I believe - the current rave reviews are based on a limited US release and festival feedback.

ReputationRep:
    Just saw Captain Phillips. Outstanding, so intense and so brilliantly well done.

My bets on Paul Greengrass and Tom Hanks for the Oscars.

ReputationRep:
    Also saw Captain Phillips tonight, underwhelmed if I'm honest.

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...-a-bumpy-ride/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Also saw Captain Phillips tonight, underwhelmed if I'm honest.

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...-a-bumpy-ride/
    Good review.

Yes, Captain Phillips is worth watching for perhaps the acting alone. I've always held Tom Hanks in high regard and was expecting his performance to be nothing short of exceptional. What I particularly liked from Hanks was his ability to portray a character who was internally petrified but yet was superficially calm; and at the same time was able to be subtly patronizing. Hanks display of the effects of horror at the end was really touching.

Although Barkhad Abdi was very good, I believe he was very type-casted (which of course is great as it makes the character believable).

Although the movie was ~2 and a half hours long it seemed much shorter to me. The movie was very anxiety-induced and suspenseful, and both the music and cinematography helped to achieve this. The movie was repetitive in certain places but I believe it created even more anxiety and suspense. With respect to those who are already familiar with the true story, I could see why they might have been impatient with the movie.

Overall, the film is great for what it is and the acting really did it justice. However I don’t think the movie itself will be a “timeless classic”, it will eventually fade into distant memory.

I imagine Hanks will be nominated for an Academy Award although whether he'll win is still up in the air - I'm excited to see what Chiwetel Ejiofor will pull out of the bag in 12 Years a Slave.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else surprised that a remake of something as popular as Romeo and Juliet came out yet it barely got any publicity and flopped horribly?

Didn't even know it had come out yet until it randomly popped up on IMDB for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Anyone else surprised that a remake of something as popular as Romeo and Juliet came out yet it barely got any publicity and flopped horribly?

Didn't even know it had come out yet until it randomly popped up on IMDB for me.
    Not surprising at all. Romeo and Juliet has been done to death, add in the fact that this version is a traditional period adaptation, nothing special to make it stand out, completely unneeded.

(Original post by Deshi)

Oh, it got a fair bit of publicity when it went into production (particularly as Hailee Stienfeld was still in the spotlight for her performance in True Grit). I saw the trailer and it looked absolutely terrible, though, so I'm not too surprised we haven't heard a great deal about it since.

ReputationRep:
    Am currently watching Room 237, the conspiracy theory documentary about The Shining. Farfetched is not even the word!

ReputationRep:
    The only two films I was impressed with that starred Leonardo di caprio- Body of Lies an Blood Diamond

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FurQ)
    The only two films I was impressed with that starred Leonardo di caprio- Body of Lies an Blood Diamond
    What are the other films you've seen with him in? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prandtl)
    Yea I want to know this too.

(Original post by FurQ)
    Come on Shutter Island?

!?!?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    Saw Killing Them Softly the other day. It was a decent movie tbh, Pitt is pretty epic, Scoot McNairy was actually really good I'll keep an eye on him, and it's worth a watch purely for a bit of Gandolfini.

I think I'd probably be motivated to see Captain Phillips if I didn't get the impression it's a historical rewrite. My impression from what I knew about the events were he was less hero more arrogant fool who endangered his ship and crew.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Yea I want to know this too.
    I just asked out of curiosity really.. I don't think Dicaprio is all that some people do but he has been in some impressive stuff.

(Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Saw Killing Them Softly the other day. It was a decent movie tbh, Pitt is pretty epic, Scoot McNairy was actually really good I'll keep an eye on him, and it's worth a watch purely for a bit of Gandolfini.
    Will have to check this out on the basis of McNairy. Have been interested in seeing more of him since I watched Monsters. Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    I think I'd probably be motivated to see Captain Phillips if I didn't get the impression it's a historical rewrite. My impression from what I knew about the events were he was less hero more arrogant fool who endangered his ship and crew.
    Don't let historical accuracy put you off. It's not a documentary FFS! Just forget it's "based on" facts and enjoy it for what it is; one hell of a good action film with two superb central performances.

ReputationRep:
    Going to watch Gravity this afternoon; looking forward to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyt8765)
    Oow! Enjoy and tell us about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamyourfather)
    Oow! Enjoy and tell us about it
    Well, I've just came out the cinema. The visuals were stunning, and the 3D was very tasteful and not superfluous, which is a rare in a 3D film. The cinematography was also outstanding. But, the script brings it down. While it was quite tense, suspenseful and emotional at times, the story is a bit weak. Overall a decent film, but I definitely don't agree with Cameron's "best space film ever done". 7/10

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've just came out the cinema. The visuals were stunning, and the 3D was very tasteful and not superfluous, which is a rare in a 3D film. The cinematography was also outstanding. But, the script brings it down. While it was quite tense, suspenseful and emotional at times, the story is a bit weak. Overall a decent film, but I definitely don't agree with Cameron's "best space film ever done". 7/10

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's a small story done on a big scale. I think Kermode described it as a B movie. In that sense I thought it accomplished everything it wanted to. I can't rate it on a number scale, but it has stayed with me due to the amazing visuals and outstanding sound. This movie was more of an experience than anything.

Best space movie? Nah. Even something like Sunshine had my attention more than this. However, space has never looked so good as it does in Gravity. It's groundbreaking.

Sent from my HTC One

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hm, I figured. There was so much hype about the visuals but little mention of the storyline. I questioned whether the movie would receive the same acclamation if the expensive visuals and big-name actors were absent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prandtl)
    most of them I think, titanic, departed, beach gangs of new yrk etc. he was a decent baddie in Django

(Original post by danny111)

Come on Shutter Island?

!?!?!?!?!
    I didn't like it, the ending was spottable a mile off, and to me was a copy of a lot of Asian horror movies. I didn't like inception, and Departed was a poor imitation of the original ( Infernal Affairs) Blood diamond and body of lies were good original plots and good performnces imo.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.