Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Seeing The Butler on Wednesday, really looking forward to it. Historical schmaltz fests are my absolute guilty pleasure.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else seen the Counselor? Watching that was an experience...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hockeyjoe)
    No. And I'm not planning to. It sounds terrible. Here is Dr K's review http://goo.gl/T4XtyH

Gravity today :excited: I will read your blog post aja properly once I've seen it (I was afraid if I read it beforehand I'd come across a few spoilers).

I've seen the trailer and it looks boring (and I'm not a fan of Fassbender as a person but that doesn't stop him from getting good roles so meh); although trailers aren't always enough to base judgements on so it might be good, somehow. I think it's just one of those non-hit movies Hollywood churn out to get some pocket money.

(Original post by aja89)
    Seeing The Butler on Wednesday, really looking forward to it. Historical schmaltz fests are my absolute guilty pleasure.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...rt-of-comments

A generally truthful and rational article, although it shouldn't stop you from watching The Butler. I appreciate quality and both these films supposedly have it.

Sidetracking: Django was overrated. Its melodrama and comedy alleviated any potential elephant in the room.

Edit: The same thing applies to Jewish-history movies. Hollywood like to over-simplify narratives belonging to non-white ethnics (e.g. East Asian people = Martial Arts). Hollywood have a good platform to really inform people but fail at times, or is it just about making money nowadays?

(Original post by Deshi)

Looks like it could be good, wasn't sure about it when it was announced.
    The trailer made me laugh for some reason :rofl: it must have been the epic music over the not-so-serious storyline. What's the point of this movie? It just looks like a melancholic version of Evan Almighty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamyourfather)
    The trailer made me laugh for some reason :rofl: it must have been the epic music over the not-so-serious storyline. What's the point of this movie? It just looks like a melancholic version of Evan Almighty.

One of the worst films I ever saw.

ReputationRep:
    This is the End

Not as good as the awesome Pineapple Express and a bit long. Some of the stuff was stupid rather than funny and forced. If you liked pineapple express then you'll find enough to enjoy here. Otherwise move along. 6/10

Sent from my HTC One

Okay, Gravity was visually stunning (the sound was great too) - undoubtedly the best 3D film we've seen to date. Gravity really gave the audience the "space experience". The storyline however was a big :facepalm: I think the visuals might (just) have did enough to compensate for it.

The storyline was somewhat cliche and the movie forced out an emotion from the audience at times (forced because there was no real character development). Ryan's (Bullock) understanding of physics and spacecrafts is poor; she also wasn't psychology competent enough to do a space mission. How she got her space-licence is beyond me. I would have prefeered her to play a badass rather than a weak, incompetent and vulnerable victim.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I actually liked Matt (Clooney), he was witty and died like a badass.

I wanted to know what happened to the hairy man

It's a 7/10 from me (the visuals and sound brought the overall rating up by quite a bit)

ReputationRep:
    Okay, Gravity was visually stunning (the sound was great too) - undoubtedly the best 3D film we've seen to date. Gravity really gave the audience the "space experience". The storyline however was a big :facepalm: I the visuals might (just) have did enough to compensate for it.

The storyline was somwhat cliche and the movie forced out an emotion from the audience at times (forced because there was no real character development) Ryan's (Bullock) understanding of physics and spacecrafts is poor; she also wasn't psychology competent enough to do a space mission. How she got her space-licence is beyond me. I would have prefeered her to play a badass rather than a weak, incompetent and vulnerable victim.

It's a 7/10 from me (the visuals brought the overall rating up by quite a bit)
    You made a typo so your spoiler's visible.

Agree with your response tbh. Was great to look at and a stunning watch. But forced storyline was quite annoying and did remove me from the movie at times.

(Original post by Prandtl)
    You made a typo so your spoiler's visible.

Agree with your response tbh. Was great to look at and a stunning watch. But forced storyline was quite annoying and did remove me from the movie at times.
    Oh **** I'll edit it. For the sake of others, could you delete the quote?

ReputationRep:
    I'm kind of still considering going to see this :beard: Looks a lot more entertaining (when compared to the rest of this week's offerings) even if it's in a tragically bad way.

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** I'll edit it. For the sake of others, could you delete the quote?
    Edited already

ReputationRep:
    My thoughts on The Butler!

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...21/the-butler/

ReputationRep:
    Who watches Korean movies? Recommend me some please.

I watched Confessions or Murder last night. I enjoyed it but expected it to be better from reviews.

I've got Castaway on the Moon and Drug War to watch. Incidentally, if you've not seen Infernal Affairs or The Departed, watch New World. If that had come out 5-6 years ago it would've left more of an impression. Nevertheless, a highly recommended watch and I preferred the ending over The Departed I think.

Sent from my HTC One

ReputationRep:
    I saw Once Upon A Time in the West the other night - having seen the Dollars Trilogy and finding out that this was another Western by the same director, Sergio Leone, I had to watch it. I've read no end of good reviews about it, even containing quotes from modern-day film directors on how this film had influenced their work so much.
    It was really poignant in a strange way, and very well acted. The score is one of the finest I have ever heard for a film. However, I much preferred the films of the Dollars Trilogy - Once Upon A Time in the West is a good film, but it does have the tendency to be depressing, which makes the fact that is a slow film (as most Westerns are, they're not action films) only more evident. The films of the Dollars Trilogy are more upbeat and have a "cool" factor about them - something that makes them entertaining even when nothing seems to be happening.

Overall verdict - 8/10. I might have been expecting a little too much from this film. Many say that it is Sergio Leone finest Western, but I do not agree; I think it is his worst Western that've I yet seen (I have not yet seen A Fistful of Dynamite/Duck, You Sucker! but I really want to). By no means is it a bad film, and against today's blockbusters it shines - it's just different from Leone's other Westerns. It's a serious depiction of survival in the old West, as opposed to gunfighters after wealth, revenge, etc. as in the Dollars Trilogy.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I can see why the Dollars films are "more fun" or "cooler".

But Once Upon a Time in the West is just a better film. I mean if you purely judge a film on "cool, fun, entertaining", then maybe not.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched Only God Forgives with Gosling in it. I really liked it, really weird film, very little talking, some amazing visuals with the setting and the lighting though. Probably going to be a very niche market film, as evidenced by it being on netflix even though it only came out midway through the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Homeschooled part of Movie 43 is probably one of the most ****ed up things I've seen in a while.

ReputationRep:
    I watched Taxidermia last night. I have never seen such a freakishly weird film! I cannot, for the life of me, figure it out!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.