Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    You write that 2/3 is made up of politics, doesn't that ruin the film though? I mean not that it makes it a bad movie, but that watching a great action film is what people (or at least I) are looking forward to.
    Didn't ruin it for me, there is definitely less action in this one.

I'm looking at it as only half way through the four film series though, good to have a slight change of pace and some much needed background information. No point in just focusing on Katniss in the arena if we don't understand the importance of her being there etc.

ReputationRep:
    Views on Gravity and The Invention of Lying anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicso)
    Gravity had great visuals and audio but lacked a proper plot or structure.

The Invention Of Lying was actually better than I expected it to be; mildly funny, but nothing particularly amazing. The whole concept of the film is actually quite interesting so I think it's worth a watch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyt8765)
    Gravity had great visuals and audio but lacked a proper plot or structure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lacked a proper plot?! What are you talking about? It's a classic B-movie "lost in space" script : scientist in peril has to overcome all the odds if she is to return safely to Earth.

The plot could hardly be clearer or more straight forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Didn't ruin it for me, there is definitely less action in this one.

I'm looking at it as only half way through the four film series though, good to have a slight change of pace and some much needed background information. No point in just focusing on Katniss in the arena if we don't understand the importance of her being there etc.
    Hm, I guess you are right, I just picked up on the fact that 2/3 is quite a large proportion of the film. There used to be a show called The Unit, it was a real badass action show, probably one of the coolest shows. But then they decided to focus a lot on the guys' wifes and lives at home and intrigue and stuff, which ruined it quite a bit. And this sounded a lot like this to me.

Definitely going to watch it, really liked the first one and I haven't read the books either so not going to get mad if they miss something or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Invention of Lying to be honest is kind of average, in terms of making you laugh. It is actually also somewhat depressing. But as someone said the concept is rather interesting, what you can do with lying, good or bad.

ReputationRep:
    Invention of Lying to be honest is kind of average, in terms of making you laugh. It is actually also somewhat depressing. But as someone said the concept is rather interesting, what you can do with lying, good or bad.
    agree 100%

Gervais can't seem to quite decide if he's playing it for laughs or romance.

ReputationRep:
    I commented on Gravity earlier. The Invention of Lying has quite a bit of humour and is quite satirical as it relates to religion. Although it's not the best movie I've ever seen, it's certainly unique.

(Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    agree 100%

Gervais can't seem to quite decide if he's playing it for laughs or romance.
    Why not both?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1321511/?ref_=nm_knf_i3

Oh dear lord. at least the departed was a good remake, this looks ****.

ReputationRep:

I know.. Terrible

All because Americans cba to read subtitles! :rolleyes:

Just a note on the earlier discussion, as someone who steers clear of pretty much all gore/shock films (I haven't watched Saw and it's not really on the top of my list), I'd be pretty keen on watching Salo if I can get my hands on it. :flute:

Also, speaking of The Departed being a good remake, I'm really keen on watching Infernal Affairs in the near future (and it's going to happen).

And finally, Her seems to be getting really positive initial reviews, which pleases me greatly.

ReputationRep:

To add to this.

http://juanluisgarcia.com/dear-spike-lee/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    I know.. Terrible

All because Americans cba to read subtitles! :rolleyes:
    I never thought of that. I always just thought they do it for the money you know like Inbetweeners, it was so successful lets take that and make some cash with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)

And finally, Her seems to be getting really positive initial reviews, which pleases me greatly.
    That sounds a lot like Ruby Sparks, I enjoyed that one!

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, exploitation in the entertainment industry isn't unheard of and there's a good chance very little will be done to resolve the issue. It's a real shame as the man did not deserve such treatment.

I'm not the biggest fan of western remakes but if they HAD to remake Oldboy, they could have least hired a more reputable director; Oldboy's (2013) ratings are generally pretty substandard. With this said, I will probably watch the remake out of curiosity and for comparison's sake.

Edit: I much prefer the original poster, the official one looks a bit "Matrix try-hard" :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Just watching The Way Way Back.

Sam Rockwell is a genius. I love that man.

Holy ****, this looks amazing:

That has to be one of the best trailers I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to watch The Hunger Games: Catching Fire but I think I might opt out and watch Battle Royale ​instead :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamyourfather)
    I was going to watch The Hunger Games: Catching Fire but I think I might opt out and watch Battle Royale ​instead :yep:
    I'll let you in on a secret, but promise me you won't tell anyone:
    You could watch both, view them as seperate pieces of cinema and not be one of those people constantly up in arms about which piece is more mature/more violent/better/the original, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProgFeanor)
    I'll let you in on a secret, but promise me you won't tell anyone:
    You could watch both, view them as seperate pieces of cinema and not be one of those people constantly up in arms about which piece is more mature/more violent/better/the original, etc.
    Not a fan of sarcasm

I might do, for comparison's sake (I mainly posted for those who may have not heard of Battle Royale).

It would be very difficult to do so as they're both similar in some respects. I wouldn't say I'm constantly "up in arms" but do enjoy watching films and critiquing/evaluating them. Shot me

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.