The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abiraleft
No depth to go into as I haven't watched either of them, but what's wrong with comparing films which are based on (what sound to me like) very similar premises, or deal with the same general ideas, or are made in a similar way, or by the same filmmaker? It's important to recognize films in their own right, sure, but most judgments I don't think you can even make without a yardstick, and yardsticks as such are formed through an evaluation of past experience...

Not to fault you, but that approach is somewhat flawed as there is, in my opinion, not much "Battle Royale" left in the HG storyline beyond the first part, but that wasn't really my point.
Now there's nothing wrong with comparing anything (I don't think "seperate" implies "uncomparable"). But the original post I quoted was not "I'll watch both and decide which one I like better, it was essentially "Either... or...". Really all I'm trying to say is "Be your own judge, goddamit."
No offense, but the original post sounded an awful lot like "Look how edgy I am, watching the 'original' instead of the the crappy teen novel rip-off".

Btw, I thought neither of them were particularly thrilling.
Original post by cambo211
Some people don't like/ struggle to watch older films :dontknow:

There is much a point to that. I lately see newer films compared to older films, but there are a few I have liked.
Original post by CrazySugarRabbit
Is there any worth in remakes? Not being sarky, just curious. Apart from money, is there any reason that people choose to remake certain films?

I'm going to echo Cambo's views and say they remake them for younger generations who these days will dismiss the ideas, themes and most often the special effects in the original's as "dated" if they have no CGI in them. They remake more recent foreign language films for the lazy, illterate masses.. usually yanks.
Reply 9003
Original post by CrazySugarRabbit
Is there any worth in remakes? Not being sarky, just curious. Apart from money, is there any reason that people choose to remake certain films?

Yeah, most remakes are done for money and a current audience will be happier to watch a movie made yesterday that's in their native language.

Some remakes are done for decent reasons though. If a long time has passed from original then I don't have much of a problem and it can lead to vastly different films when compared (Scarface by Hawk's and remade by De Palma). Or if a filmmaker wants to take an idea from an original film and expand it (La Jetee to Twelve Monkeys) or take it in a different direction (Cronenberg's The Fly) then that can lead to decent remakes too.
(edited 10 years ago)
The main issue with Hunger Games vs Battle Royale is that that HG doesn't have any real danger in it. You never feel the threat...at least I didn't. Battle Royale is more menacing. The violence is necessary for this type of story and HG, being a light film for younger teens and kids, just can't do that.

It's like the upcoming crappy Robocop. They're taking out the dark nature, the anarchy, the violence, in order to reach a wider audience. Basically, watering it down. Robocop is brilliant even today btw

Sent from my HTC One
Reply 9005
I have never understood those people who say they can't stand to watch 'old films', say pre eighties or black and white. If it's good, it's good, doesn't matter what year it was made! Although I tend not to watch action films so don't have much to say about the difference in stunts and effects. Drama and comedy tend to be more timeless.
Original post by aja89
I have never understood those people who say they can't stand to watch 'old films', say pre eighties or black and white. If it's good, it's good, doesn't matter what year it was made! Although I tend not to watch action films so don't have much to say about the difference in stunts and effects. Drama and comedy tend to be more timeless.

But to many people most old films aren't good. I mean they are much slower than modern films, the CGI is worse, the way of living was different and that is reflected in films.

I think they just need to see the right films. The Third Man, 12 Angry Men are among my favourite films ever.
Original post by ProgFeanor
Not to fault you, but that approach is somewhat flawed as there is, in my opinion, not much "Battle Royale" left in the HG storyline beyond the first part, but that wasn't really my point.
Now there's nothing wrong with comparing anything (I don't think "seperate" implies "uncomparable"). But the original post I quoted was not "I'll watch both and decide which one I like better, it was essentially "Either... or...". Really all I'm trying to say is "Be your own judge, goddamit."
No offense, but the original post sounded an awful lot like "Look how edgy I am, watching the 'original' instead of the the crappy teen novel rip-off".

Btw, I thought neither of them were particularly thrilling.

Well your comment was very misleading, it would have been better to have just been direct rather than sarcastic. Abiraleft's point wasn't flawed, objectively speaking that is.

Yes it was "either... or..." it is very difficult to pay attention to two films at the same time :redface: Putting originally to one side, BA seemed slightly more enticing hence my immediate need to watch it first. This isn't to say I'll completely dismiss HG: CF to appear "edgy" or "cool" (I've already seen the first one and personally enjoyed it).

I understand why you might have thought I sounded like film snob but your judgement was a tiny bit rash (as there wasn't much you could have picked up on from what I'd said). The intent of my post was to 1) ignite conversation i.e. keep the thread going and 2) mention BA for those who may have not heard it (and may want to look into it - which I believe is one of the main purposes for this thread).

I quite enjoyed BA although unlike HG there was quite a bit of forced character development. Too much (violence) happened so suddenly that it was hard to process was going on. The juxtaposition between calm and chaotic in an all-girls scene which lasted literally seconds was beautifully done though :smile: I don't believe more violence necessarily correlates "better", and I do appreciate character development. Having said all of this, the HG has the upper hand IMO :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by danny111
But to many people most old films aren't good. I mean they are much slower than modern films, the CGI is worse, the way of living was different and that is reflected in films.

I think they just need to see the right films. The Third Man, 12 Angry Men are among my favourite films ever.

True, my brother's like "nothing before 1990 please".
Reply 9009
So excited about seeing Saving Mr. Banks tomorrow. :woo:
Reply 9010
My review of Saving Mr. Banks. Lovely lovely times. :h:

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/saving-mr-banks-2013/
Going to see Hunger Games catching fire tomorrow, hope it doesn't disappoint me :tongue:
I enjoyed Saving Mr. Banks.
Reply 9013
Long Walk to Freedom is going to kill it at the box office.
Sure? I'm not that keen to go watch it.
Wow, The Amazing Spiderman 2 looks so pretentious.
Reply 9016
Original post by Prandtl
Long Walk to Freedom is going to kill it at the box office.

Wouldn't be too surprised if it even got a couple of Oscar nominations now, despite the poor reviews.
Reply 9017
Original post by danny111
Wow, The Amazing Spiderman 2 looks so pretentious.

I know right. I thought I was the only one. I also didn't like the first one.

Pompeii looks like my kind of film.

Love volcano films (not enough of these - Volcano is awesome), and one of my favoruite genres are probably the sword and sandal types. Jon Snow representing.

Don't mind the look of the new 300 film either, though I don't like the main guy, he's annoying in Strike Back and I just cannot picture him in this type of role.
Original post by Deshi
I know right. I thought I was the only one. I also didn't like the first one.

Pompeii looks like my kind of film.

Love volcano films (not enough of these - Volcano is awesome), and one of my favoruite genres are probably the sword and sandal types. Jon Snow representing.

Don't mind the look of the new 300 film either, though I don't like the main guy, he's annoying in Strike Back and I just cannot picture him in this type of role.

I actually like the first one it was good, and I love Emma Stone, think she is a fantastic person. But I might not even watch this one.
Her looks very thought-provoking. I have a feeling Joanquin Phoenix's performance will be truly something special :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending