Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Saw The Desolation Of Smaug last night, have mega mixed feelings about it.

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...of-smaug-2013/

ReputationRep:
    Hey all! Just wanted to pop in a question: What are your favourite period/historical films and dramas? I'm in the mood to watch a few, so please start listing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zahra_d)
    Hey all! Just wanted to pop in a question: What are your favourite period/historical films and dramas? I'm in the mood to watch a few, so please start listing!
    Any specific time period?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prandtl)
    Any specific time period?
    Anywhere between 1600's to mid 1900's will do

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for slow reply Ended up skimming through a lot of my ratings on IMDB and scrolling loads of lists.

Amadeus
    Barry Lyndon
    Dangerous Liaisons
    Days of Heaven
    Doctor Zhivago
    The Elephant Man
    The King's Speech
    The New World
    The Prestige
    There Will Be Blood

Last of the Mohicans too but it's got big war elements in it. Fantastic period film though.

ReputationRep:
    The Prestige
    The Illusionist
    Doctor Zhivago

come to mind. I'll add after browsing IMDB.

ReputationRep:
    So to 1950 or 1850?

In that case of course a lot of WWII movies would be up there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    So to 1950 or 1850?

In that case of course a lot of WWII movies would be up there.
    I'd say up to 1850 actually, I'd like to see a few pre-WW films

ReputationRep:
    I'd say up to 1850 actually, I'd like to see a few pre-WW films
    I think then Dr. Zhivago doesn't count, it's in Communist Russia.

But I found some more:

The Count of Monte Cristo
    Robin Hood
    Black Adder
    The Last Samurai

they're all good.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Damn Prisoners was really good. In the reviews there was a lot of praise for Jackman (who was awesome) but Jake Gyllenhaal was absolutely solid as well, no-one on the cast felt out of place.

Depending on how it does on re-watches it could be up there with the like of Zodiac and Memories of Murder as my favourite thrillers.

ReputationRep:
    Gotta love Oscar Season ...or not. Best film I've seen of 2013 (US dates) is still Rush, and Daniel Bruhl's performance in it is also the best I've seen in 2013. Got high hopes for American Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street with two of my favourite actors (Leo and Jonah Hill). Still can't see either of them pulling out a performances like Bruhl though. Hopefully the Acadamy acknowledges him.

Is 'The Wind Rises' not coming to UK screens? Apparently Miyazaki's last film; would be a shame to miss it on the big screen. Maybe I should just watch it online.

ReputationRep:
    Dad got tickets for Gravity this afternoon

ReputationRep:
    Happy new year everybody! First trip to the cinema of 2014 complete, first of many!

Went to see American Hustle. Mixed thoughts. http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...n-hustle-2013/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Gotta love Oscar Season ...or not. Best film I've seen of 2013 (US dates) is still Rush, and Daniel Bruhl's performance in it is also the best I've seen in 2013. Got high hopes for American Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street with two of my favourite actors (Leo and Jonah Hill). Still can't see either of them pulling out a performances like Bruhl though. Hopefully the Acadamy acknowledges him.

Is 'The Wind Rises' not coming to UK screens? Apparently Miyazaki's last film; would be a shame to miss it on the big screen. Maybe I should just watch it online.
    Saw an interview with him on German TV, he basically said he is very happy that they considered him and thinks that alone is already a huge honour, but doesn't expect to win at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Saw an interview with him on German TV, he basically said he is very happy that they considered him and thinks that alone is already a huge honour, but doesn't expect to win at all.
    He's very modest. I think he's one of the frontrunners to win best supporting actor.

ReputationRep:
    Watched Star Trek into Darkness for the first time just before. Such a disappointment.

ReputationRep:
    Happy new year guys! Which films which are set to be released this year are you most looking forward to seeing?

(Original post by aja89)
    Happy new year everybody! First trip to the cinema of 2014 complete, first of many!

Went to see American Hustle. Mixed thoughts. http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...n-hustle-2013/
    Good stuff. Do you have plans to see Wolf of Wall Street soon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamyourfather)
    Happy new year guys! Which films which are set to be released this year are you most looking forward to seeing?

Good stuff. Do you have plans to see Wolf of Wall Street soon?
    The Lone Survivor.

But then again I don't yet know films to be released in the summer and later.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.