Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zahra_d)
    Hey all! Just wanted to pop in a question: What are your favourite period/historical films and dramas? I'm in the mood to watch a few, so please start listing!
    I'm not really into "period dramas" as such, but I watched "Young Victoria" not long ago, and it was actually quite good. The music especially was great.

ReputationRep:
    Cannot wait for Inherent Vice this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plainview)
    Same! Will have to pick-up The Master at some point then I can have a PTA week leading up to this film

Watched The Unbearable Lightness of Being for the first time the other night. I'd been pretty skeptical about the viability of closely adapting from a book with so many abstraction and metaphysical meditations, but it was actually more faithful to the book in terms of plot than I had imagined (I'd expected something that was reduced to a more Hollywoodized version of a love story). The dream scenes weren't too badly done, even though they perhaps were rather less subtly intoned than the book suggests, and I liked some of the cinematography (I thought a lot of the nudity was quite artfully handled). I also thought the breakaway into filter-happy montage during the depiction of the Prague Spring was very effective. And it was a lot of fun seeing two actors I admire greatly (Day Lewis and Binoche) in a much earlier stage of their careers.

That said, it didn't really grapple with some of the deeper philosophical implications of the novel (questions regarding the temporal nature of existence - or the conflict between this and more 'weighty' models of human experience - seem almost to be reduced to a question of attitude ('I wish I could be as insensitive as you!') and aren't really explored beyond their contribution to the romantic plot) and I thought the secondary storyline of Sabina wasn't handled very well at all - it always felt more like an intrusion to the storyline rather than an addition to the discourse it generated. I definitely wouldn't call it a bad movie - on its own, it's a very solid one - but I can understand why Kundera rejected it as a legitimate representation of his work.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Like what do you know about the film, not much on IMDB about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Why? Like what do you know about the film, not much on IMDB about it.
    PTA, based on a Pynchon book, with Joaquin Phoenix, Benicio Del Toro, Josh Brolin and more. What's not to like?

ReputationRep:
    PTA, based on a Pynchon book, with Joaquin Phoenix, Benicio Del Toro, Josh Brolin and more. What's not to like?
    Don't know who Pynchon is, but okay. The cast does sound good.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know who Pynchon is, but okay. The cast does sound good.
    Postmodernist novelist who wrote Gravity's Rainbow amongst others. Pretty interesting guy.

ReputationRep:
    The Lone Survivor.

But then again I don't yet know films to be released in the summer and later.
    Heard that's meant to be very much a US military propaganda film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stylo92)
    Heard that's meant to be very much a US military propaganda film.
    Yea because they checked every part of it to make sure no "classified" material was given away.

I mean at the end of the day it's just a film that shows the SEALs to be quite badass and having a sense of comraderie, something any Hollywood film could give out.

Also if it is supposed to be propaganda, I wouldn't have shown the part where they just let these guys go and tell the Taliban. They could just as well have taken them prisoners and taken them up the mountain til they can radio in, then release when a heli is on the way. That way the Taliban would never have caught up with them before the heli makes it there and all they would have done is temporarily taken the freedom of sympathizers of an enemy force. Hardly earth-shattering and something they already did anyway for a time before they let them go...

That was a pretty dumb decision, even if they tried to make it out how it was the "moral" decision because they didn't kill them.

Just watched the Costa Gavras film Missing. Perhaps not the best-made film in some parts - the sense of drama was a bit uneven, with some unnecessary Hollywoody melodrama sticking out against a film that was otherwise very low-key in tone, and indeed perhaps a bit too low-key in some places with the very minimalist editing sometimes not serving the narrative that well - but with enough substance to feel very significant indeed. I for one am pretty interested in the subject matter and was thus pretty drawn to it emotionally. Fine performance from Jack Lemmon as well.

ReputationRep:
    I am quite looking forward to the Academey Award nominations on the 16th :cute:

Although prior to that time (if time permits it) I'd like to watch the critically acclaimed film 12 Years a Slave - I'll post my assertions later (although expect positive feedback).

ReputationRep:
    Incendies 9/10

Amazing film. Incredible story, I really like how you see the mother's flashbacks as the daughter learns more about her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamyourfather)
    I am quite looking forward to the Academey Award nominations on the 16th :cute:

Although prior to that time (if time permits it) I'd like to watch the critically acclaimed film 12 Years a Slave - I'll post my assertions later (although expect positive feedback).
    I think this'll be pretty much expected from everyone going to see it. I'm supremely hyped myself.

ReputationRep:
    Is Her out in UK cinemas yet? Possible exception of 12 Years, haven't been this excited to see a new film in ages (Gravity was more of a lovely surprise).

EDIT: **** IMDb says Valentines. Cheeky but annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Is Her out in UK cinemas yet? Possible exception of 12 Years, haven't been this excited to see a new film in ages (Gravity was more of a lovely surprise).

EDIT: **** IMDb says Valentines. Cheeky but annoying.
    Haha, me too!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure why I even try to take the Globes seriously. Jennifer Lawrence had no business winning this award.

ReputationRep:
    I really want to know who votes. I mean I like Lawrence but I agree, not sure if she deserved this one.

(Original post by ProgFeanor)
    I'm not sure why I even try to take the Globes seriously. Jennifer Lawrence had no business winning this award.
    I don't know why anyone does. :yawn:

There are some points where I feel the same way about the Oscars, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    I don't know why anyone does. :yawn:

There are some points where I feel the same way about the Oscars, though.
    Yea that Amy Adams one was a joke.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.