Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Inclaris)
    I watched Inception recently and I really liked it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any similar films. I've heard that The Prestige, (also directed by Christopher Nolan) is supposed to be really good too, but I haven't gotten round to watching it yet. I'm just wondering if there are any others worth watching.
    Check out Moon and Memento if you haven't seen them already. If you're interested in something on the artsier side of things, check out Blow-Up. It's like Inception but a lot better. :awesome:

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    Check out Moon and Memento if you haven't seen them already. If you're interested in something on the artsier side of things, check out Blow-Up. It's like Inception but a lot better. :awesome:
    I second this - great choices :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Don't take the Oscars too seriously, due to the fact they have only nominated Gary Oldman once.

ReputationRep:
    I just saw 12 Years A Slave. I'm not going to say I enjoyed it because it's not the kind of film you enjoy really, but I certainly thought it was very good; well made and acted, and not manipulative, which it could easily have been. I reckon I need to go to the cinema more often, I only saw 7 or 8 films in the theatre last year. I'm aiming for 2 a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    I just saw 12 Years A Slave. I'm not going to say I enjoyed it because it's not the kind of film you enjoy really, but I certainly thought it was very good; well made and acted, and not manipulative, which it could easily have been. I reckon I need to go to the cinema more often, I only saw 7 or 8 films in the theatre last year. I'm aiming for 2 a month.
    Same here, my new years resolution is to visit the cinema more often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Thanks, I'll check them all out.

ReputationRep:
    so this has been what I've been doing for the past 2 days:

The Godfather- 10/10. masterpiece

The Untouchables- 7/10.

American Gangster- 8/10. Denzel blows me away once again.

You can probably tell what kind of mood im in right now

ReputationRep:
    Recently watched a few films;

Captain Phillips - 8/10
    Good documentary thriller in which i really enjoyed Hanks performance. I was incredibly surprised he was not put up for Oscar Best Actor.

Saving Mr Banks - 8/10
    Enjoyable film overall, surprised that Emma Thompson didn't get nominated for Best Actress at the Oscars.

Ender's Game - 7/10
    I have not read the book, so i saw the movie not the book. I thought it was pretty decent overall although i do feel the main actor chosen was a bit young for the part.

ReputationRep:
    But what will happen to future Tarantino films?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...ent-films.html

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the mood for watching a decent comedy film, can someone recommend me some genuinely funny ones? I've already seen the usual stuff such as Airplane!, The Big Lebowski, Superbad, so I've run out of ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tart)
    I'm in the mood for watching a decent comedy film, can someone recommend me some genuinely funny ones? I've already seen the usual stuff such as Airplane!, The Big Lebowski, Superbad, so I've run out of ideas.
    It depends on your taste in humour, but The Inbetweeners movie is awesome, as well as the first Hangover movie.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whats so great about American Hustle?

I fell asleep about halfway through and have no desire to watch the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tart)
    What the other person said.

Horrible Bosses
    Role Models
    Grown Ups (if you just want stupid/silly humour)
    Easy A
    Zombieland
    The Intouchables
    The Guard (really funny and overall just a great movie)
    50/50
    Paul

ReputationRep:
    Best movie to see at the cinema with my mates at the weekend ? Note that we can't get into 18s No wolf of wall street for us... Anchorman 2 any good ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bromaldehyde)
    Best movie to see at the cinema with my mates at the weekend ? Note that we can't get into 18s No wolf of wall street for us... Anchorman 2 any good ?
    If you enjoyed the original anchorman then you will definitely like this one. If you haven't seen the original and don't know what to expect then it really depends on your sense of humour.

It is just as funny as the original but it is a lot less quotable.

(Original post by tart)

:holmes:

---

In other news, I watched Russian Ark today. Some discomfort about the romanticization of the Tsar monarchy aside, it was an excellent film with glorious production value and genuine philosophical value as well. Highly recommended for people of an artsy disposition. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RtGOAT)
    Whats so great about American Hustle?

I fell asleep about halfway through and have no desire to watch the rest.
    Mind numbingly dull with brief scenes of cringe-worthy humour. Its a very overrated film

ReputationRep:
    Saw The Wolf Of Wall Street today. My thoughts!

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/...l-street-2013/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tart)
    If you liked Superbad, I'd recommend watching Paul. It's by the same director and, frankly, any film that features Nick Frost is certain to be funny as hell. You should also watch Knocked Up, Pineapple Express, Shaun of the Dead, The Hangover, Ted and The 40 year old virgin. These are all pretty funny films.

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.