Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Has Jonah Hill made a successful transition to a mature actor now? Moneyball, Wolf of Wall Street pretty good roles. I mean he still seems to do mostly comedy, but like he appears more than some other young actors that were in teen movies to be more sophisticated.
    He was only paid £36k pre tax for his role in Wolf of Wall Street.

Guy was doing it just to work with Scorsese. Looks like he's trying to at least get some work in more serious films.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    He was only paid £36k pre tax for his role in Wolf of Wall Street.

Guy was doing it just to work with Scorsese. Looks like he's trying to at least get some work in more serious films.
    What?!?!?!?!

And why would Scorsese take someone for essentially nothing? Like wouldn't he want the right actor, not a cheap actor?

ReputationRep:
    What?!?!?!?!

And why would Scorsese take someone for essentially nothing? Like wouldn't he want the right actor, not a cheap actor?
    It's the amount they offered him apparently and he jumped at the chance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/25857953

ReputationRep:

Interesting.

ReputationRep:

Yea just read that article. What a great guy.

ReputationRep:
    Just seen 12 Years. Couldn't get out of my chair at the end. Completely draining. The only point of comparison I can think of is the work of Primo Levi, in that they both essentially examine what it means to physically be a human, and how the complete erasure of identity threatens this. Not one for all the family.

ReputationRep:
    What the other person said.

Horrible Bosses
    Role Models
    Grown Ups (if you just want stupid/silly humour)
    Easy A
    Zombieland
    The Intouchables
    The Guard (really funny and overall just a great movie)
    50/50
    Paul
    Horrible Bosses and Grown Ups are absolutely terrible. They were written by accountants. I couldn't believe how off tune horrible bosses was. It was ceingeworthy.

The Heat is a very good recent comedy.
    If you like Pineapple Express (who doesn't) This is the End has some of that and is worth watching. It doesn't quite hit the mark though.

Sent from my HTC One

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Horrible Bosses and Grown Ups are absolutely terrible. They were written by accountants. I couldn't believe how off tune horrible bosses was. It was ceingeworthy.

The Heat is a very good recent comedy.
    If you like Pineapple Express (who doesn't) This is the End has some of that and is worth watching. It doesn't quite hit the mark though.

Sent from my HTC One
    They made me laugh. Isn't that the main aim of a comedy?

ReputationRep:
    Dallas Buyers Club.

Wow.

Sorry DiCaprio - once again you're going to have to wait for that Academy Award.

ReputationRep:
    If any of you have watched Her, watch this: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1a...nl-1-25-14_fun

ReputationRep:
    I watched I Wanna Hold Your Hand last weekend on Film4. It was a really funny film, I'd definitely recommend it if you're a Beatles fan.

ReputationRep:
    Why has Jesse Eisenberg just been cast as Lex Luthor for the upcoming Batman/Superman film?

ReputationRep:
    They made me laugh. Isn't that the main aim of a comedy?
    Fair enough.
    I found them so unfunny and amongst the worse comedies I've ever seen.

Why has Jesse Eisenberg just been cast as Lex Luthor for the upcoming Batman/Superman film?
    Seems like an odd choice to me. He doesn't have the screen presence to play an arch villain. I don't get it. Well see.

Sent from my HTC One

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.

Seems like an odd choice to me. He doesn't have the screen presence to play an arch villain. I don't get it. Well see.

Sent from my HTC One
    Oh wow.

But then again I find the Simpsons so bad as well. And yet many love them (or used to I guess).

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.

Sent from my HTC One
    Baffling choice and Jeremy Irons as the butler. Irons has more gravitas and screen presence than Assfleck, so Alfred will dominate Bruce Wayne on screen :facepalm2:

Eisenberg is amusing at being Eisenberg but that is about the extent of him.

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm trying to make my way through most of the Oscar films right now. Just finished Her and thought it was brilliant; very surprised that Phoenix didn't get a nomination for best Actor, hell even Johansson's voice should've got a a supporting nomination (!)

No idea if you guys have talked much about the films already, but what's everyones favourites slash gripes with the choices?

EDIT: Phwoar. Just finished August: Osage County, what a film. Acting was bloody fantastic. It's not without its faults but still, IMO, much better than Wolf and American Hustle. Honestly, though, all the women in the 'Oscar films' I've watched this year have been stunning: Gravity, Blue Jasmine, American Hustle as well as August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Porter)
    So, I'm trying to make my way through most of the Oscar films right now. Just finished Her and thought it was brilliant; very surprised that Phoenix didn't get a nomination for best Actor, hell even Johansson's voice should've got a a supporting nomination (!)

No idea if you guys have talked much about the films already, but what's everyones favourites slash gripes with the choices?
    Also loved Her, and think Phoenix should have been nominated. Don't think either Gravity or American Hustle deserve nominations for best picture, but the rest (that I've seen) do. Think Only God Forgives is missing, but it is quite an artsy film so you can't expect much from the Oscars in this case.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched The Crow. Can't believe I've never seen it before, it's fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Gonna watch Hunger Games tomorrow. Looking forward to it

ReputationRep:
    I was just watching The Best Man Holiday and have to say, Terence Howard is an amazing actor. In pretty much everything I see him in, he does a great job.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.