Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Jack O'Connell impresses me in anything he's in.
    I can't say I've seen him in anything else, so I can't really comment. Heard he's good in 71 though
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by scjman)
    I can't say I've seen him in anything else, so I can't really comment. Heard he's good in 71 though
    Check out Starred Up. Best British film I've seen in years.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched Silence of the Lambs. Terrific.

ReputationRep:
    Just seen an advanced screening on The Imitation Game. I loved it. Cumberbatch and Knightley protray their characters well and it keeps you engaged until the very end. I could easily go and watch it again when it comes out.

ReputationRep:
    That American Sniper looks ace.

ReputationRep:
    Hey chaps, long time no speak! Thought I'd let some fellow film buffs know that I'm running a Christmas comp on my film blog, chance to some limited edition film goodies. Take a look if you fancy it!

http://ohthatfilmblog.com/2014/12/14...petition-time/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Hey chaps, long time no speak! Thought I'd let some fellow film buffs know that I'm running a Christmas comp on my film blog, chance to some limited edition film goodies. Take a look if you fancy it!

Think I can only get 7/25. Just not good enough.

(Original post by aja89)

Has anyone won yet? I'll have a go, if it's all still up for grabs.

What does everyone here think of the film Shutter Island? I was planning on giving it a watch, seeing as it's on Netflix and I haven't yet seen it.

(Original post by lustawny)
    What does everyone here think of the film Shutter Island? I was planning on giving it a watch, seeing as it's on Netflix and I haven't yet seen it.
    It's not too bad. It's essentially a thought experiment, and it manages to hold the strains of a thought experiment's atmosphere for a while, but it has neither the story nor the depth of meditation in the end to be really memorable past the gimick of the big reveal.

One critic I think called it a B-movie with a big talent attached. If the 'big talent' in question here is Scorcese, then I'd say that's about right (neither Leo nor Ruffalo are too bad either, though. Ben Kingsley is good as Ben Kingsley).

(Original post by ahq)
    It's not too bad. It's essentially a thought experiment, and it manages to hold the strains of a thought experiment's atmosphere for a while, but it has neither the story nor the depth of meditation in the end to be really memorable past the gimick of the big reveal.

One critic I think called it a B-movie with a big talent attached. If the 'big talent' in question here is Scorcese, then I'd say that's about right (neither Leo nor Ruffalo are too bad either, though. Ben Kingsley is good as Ben Kingsley).
    Thanks very much for your insight. It looks pretty interesting, to say the least. I'll watch anything with Leo DiCaprio in, as he's my favourite actor. I didn't realise that it was based on a novel, though - I thought it was a stand-alone film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Check out Starred Up. Best British film I've seen in years.
    Bringing to life a fairly old post, but yes, Starred Up is one of the 'realest' movies I've ever seen. Although I thought Jack O'Connell was ace in it, for me, Ben Mendelsohn sold it.

Looking forward to seeing Whiplash.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Iamyourfather)
    Bringing to life a fairly old post, but yes, Starred Up is one of the 'realest' movies I've ever seen. Although I thought Jack O'Connell was ace in it, for me, Ben Mendelsohn sold it.

Looking forward to seeing Whiplash.
    Mendelsohn was great, yeah. Brilliant film all round.

ReputationRep:
    So for a laugh, I watched Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones the other day. Wow. Predictable alongside being hilarious when it's not trying to be. I mean it made no sense for one thing!
    It upsets me that 'horror' is near enough just found-footage gimmicks and that should not be the case!
    I mean what do we think of the horror genre today? In terms of PA I just wonder why people still pay money to these directors to go and make more bad films!!!
    Just another series they'll churn money out of till it is literally sucked dry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of horror films, what are your thoughts on the 2011 The Thing?

It's got nothing on John Carpenter's, but I was surprised when I read that people weren't impressed with it. I wasn't expecting much from a prequal made 30 years after, but I thought it was a pretty decent attempt.

Thought the ending where it merged with the beginning of the original was really effective as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Spartan)
    Speaking of horror films, what are your thoughts on the 2011 The Thing?

It's got nothing on John Carpenter's, but I was surprised when I read that people weren't impressed with it. I wasn't expecting much from a prequal made 30 years after, but I thought it was a pretty decent attempt.

Thought the ending where it merged with the beginning of the original was really effective as well.
    I saw it and thought it was ok at best. There was very little paranoia between the unmemorable characters and their dialogue was often dull, generic and forgettable. Lame script overall.

Anyone seen Kingsman: The Secret Service? One of the actors in that film actually comes from the same town as me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lustawny)
    Anyone seen Kingsman: The Secret Service? One of the actors in that film actually comes from the same town as me.
    Who? No, it doesn't seem like my immediate go-to movie.

(Original post by Iamyourfather)
    Who? No, it doesn't seem like my immediate go-to movie.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4874451/?ref_=rvi_nm

ReputationRep:
    Sony and Marvel have signed a deal to let Spider-Man appear in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Yet another Spider-Man reboot will be released in 2017, looks like Andrew Garfield is out.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.