Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    How do you find the willpower to revise? :zomg: Been procrastinating since morning. :emo:
    Truth be told, I haven't done any revision yet :mmm: I'm more of a last minute type of guy. I will start tomorrow, I promise...

Also, is anyone going to see Arthur (with Russel Brand) I don't understand why that guy keeps getting cast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Also, is anyone going to see Arthur (with Russel Brand) I don't understand why that guy keeps getting cast.
    The Americans are currently obsessed with him. Personally I can't see why. Get Him To The Greek was half decent but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    How was it? Shame you never got quite the same experience of seeing it in 3D in the cinema.
    It was both good and bad in very different ways.. but yeah all in all I liked it. My thought exactly, shame no one ordered me to go see it back then..

if only I could timetravel :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Truth be told, I haven't done any revision yet :mmm: I'm more of a last minute type of guy. I will start tomorrow, I promise...

same... need. motivation :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    How was it? Shame you never got quite the same experience of seeing it in 3D in the cinema.
    I still haven't seen Avatar I wonder if they'll show it in cinemas again one day, since it seems to be one of the main films people say is much better in 3D at the cinema than at home on DVD... I guess I should have gone and seen it when I had the chance :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimimimi)
    I still haven't seen Avatar I wonder if they'll show it in cinemas again one day, since it seems to be one of the main films people say is much better in 3D at the cinema than at home on DVD... I guess I should have gone and seen it when I had the chance :rolleyes:
    Indeed, I definitely had a few of these facepalm moments thinking oh yeah this was made for 3D and obviously this part as well and so on.. but soon we'll probably be able to watch 3D in our own home so no need to go to the cinema for that

Spoiler:
    Show
    I saw this in another thread and really wanted to post it because it made me lol

ReputationRep:
    Ah, wasn't able to join in The Truman Show discussion last night. Stupid dissertation. :unimpressed:

It's time for what I like to call 'pruning'. Does anybody here (if you have the time) think that certain films should not be listed as 'recommendations' on the list. I'm trying to lower the number of low quality recommendations. So if anyone can spot some really bad ones, it would be appreciated.

Also, need someone to fill out the best cinema releases for March (and April) 2011.
    I had a look through the list. I've seen my fair share of romance films and rom-coms, and Sliding Doors (under 'romance') and Two Weeks Notice ('rom-com') caught my eye. Sliding Doors I especially find quite out of place on the same list as Eternal Sunshine and Before Sunset. It's a year or so since I saw it and remember being utterly unimpressed.

Two Weeks Notice then again, it's just that there's a lot of Hugh Grant on the list. Although, I'm inclined to prefer it over Four Weddings and a Funeral (never really seen the attraction, tbh). So maybe my opinion shouldn't count on that. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MizzCupcakes)
    Indeed, I definitely had a few of these facepalm moments thinking oh yeah this was made for 3D and obviously this part as well and so on.. but soon we'll probably be able to watch 3D in our own home so no need to go to the cinema for that
    At the time I assumed there'd be a whole barrage of similar films coming out within the following months/years, so I thought "I may as well wait and see a stunning 3D film which has a plot that interests me"... Perhaps a mistake, since nothing fitting that bill seems to have appeared as of yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Watched A Room With A View last night.

Judi Dench was criminally underused and Maggie Smith was great. But Helena Bonham Carter was as wooden as my bedroom door and the film was as clunky as hell!
    Similes make me lol

ReputationRep:
    Good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    The Americans are currently obsessed with him. Personally I can't see why. Get Him To The Greek was half decent but that's about it.
    But why?? He is so annoying. I'm glad we got rid of him tbh.

(Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    same... need. motivation :indiff:
    Apparently you need to get 'THE FEAR'. Once you get THE FEAR you will be able to revise

"Start tomorrow" huh? That's what they all say. Russell Brand, I just don't get it. His films are terrible, and his humour in films isn't funny. I've not watched too many of his TV shows, but my friend is obsessed with him.

(Original post by MizzCupcakes)
    It was both good and bad in very different ways.. but yeah all in all I liked it. My thought exactly, shame no one ordered me to go see it back then..

if only I could timetravel :moon:
    Good and bad in what ways? :holmes:

(Original post by mimimimi)
    Did they not start showing it again for these extra minutes they added on? Still there's 2 and 3 to look forward to, where I imagine there will be another technology jump.

Give the next film a century or so. :awesome:

(Original post by elisabethbridge)
    I had a look through the list. I've seen my fair share of romance films and rom-coms, and Sliding Doors (under 'romance') and Two Weeks Notice ('rom-com') caught my eye. Sliding Doors I especially find quite out of place on the same list as Eternal Sunshine and Before Sunset. It's a year or so since I saw it and remember being utterly unimpressed.

Two Weeks Notice then again, it's just that there's a lot of Hugh Grant on the list. Although, I'm inclined to prefer it over Four Weddings and a Funeral (never really seen the attraction, tbh). So maybe my opinion shouldn't count on that. :holmes:
    You have Greeneyedgirl to thank for the 'Hugh Grant' on the list. :teehee: Yeah, I'll have a look at those films you've mentioned. Thanks.

I've just read a really intriguing interpretation on No Country For Old Men, and I'm really tempted to watch the film tonight with this 'theory' in mind.

The interpretation is below. Think I'll go watch the film now and see if it holds weight and makes sense.

Spoiler:
    Show
    The major theme is GREED and its consequences ("there are no clean getaways") and fighting with our conscience. It is NOT about death finding us. This is the point of the movie - move away from obsessing about death and instead look at the real root of all evil: GREED. Are you greedy? Do you fight with greed (Anton) in your mind?
    Read the reasons below, rewatch the movie and everything will become clear!!! This is the one and only explanation of the movie.
    There are two layers to this movie, the real part and the sub-conscious part:

Real Layer/Story: Moss finds some money beside dead Mexican drug dealers. He goes back to bring a dying Mexican some water but other Mexicans spot him (see his face/car) but lose him. However, they now know who he is via his rego plates - they go to his trailer park but he is not there so they track his wife around via the phone number of her mother (there is no tracking device (see below)). They find out where he is staying via his mother in law (helping her with her bags). When they do eventually find him they kill him in the hotel but do not find the money. Bell finds the money at the crime scene by checking the vents but he turns it in to the authorities (not shown but implied - see below). Carla Moss kills herself in grief after her husband's funeral. Bell retires because he cannot make sense of all the greed and evil in the world (a good man like Moss dies because of it), he cannot seem to stop it ("There are no laws left"). In the dream he and his father try to bring 'light to the darkness' but in the end he 'wakes up' to reality.

Conscience Layer (see below for more explanation): Moss does not meet Anton for awhile into the movie. He initially has a cleanish conscience (i.e. going back to give the dying Mexican water). When Moss decides to run from the Mexicans instead of just leaving the money in his trailer for them to find and leave him alone, Anton (greed) focuses his attention on Moss and begins tracking him. There is no tracking device. The tracking device in Anton's possession symbolizes Anton (greed) getting closer and closer from Moss' sub-conscience to Moss' conscience. Moss begins to understand that his wife will be in danger , he sees/realizes Anton/his greed, finding the phone list (which is actually the Mexicans finding the list in reality). He then discovers the tracking device at which point he meets Anton (greed) in his conscience. The next scenes are him fighting with greed in his conscience. He wounds greed (Anton) but does not kill him. Since greed is wounded you then see him talking to Carson Wells (his reasoning conscience) who says he might be able to help him and his wife if he just hands over the money (give up his greed). The hotel room across the street is Moss' mind. There Anton (greed) kills Wells (his reasoning conscience). We then see Moss having a direct argument with his greed (Anton) and Anton says that it is Moss' fault that his wife will now die - it was his choice (in his sub-conscious he thinks that the Mexicans will find her). Moss is then killed by the Mexicans but they do not find the money. Bell is not possessed by greed (you see him mirrored by Anton(greed) in the tv). Bell goes into the hotel room where greed (Anton) is potentially 'waiting' as the $2 million has not been found. He goes in there and sees the vent, he knows there is $2 million in there but he knows he won't take it (the heads on the coin symbolizes he made the right choice) so he does not see greed (Anton) - presumably he turns the money in. Carla kills herself (meeting Anton (death/greed) was her husband's fault). With his work done Anton finds some new 'victims' for greed when spots the kids on the bikes. He is wounded by the car crash so greed is wounded but then as he heals himself they begin fighting over the $100 bill (which in reality they probably found on the street - the cycle of greed begins again). Bell retires because he cannot make sense of the greed and death (we know he does not know greed), him and his father tried to shed light in the evil of the world but he 'wakes up' to reality that it will always be there (You can't stop what's coming).

Who is Anton?:
    Anton is greed conscience. He is a ghost. He is not real. "Can you see me?" We have a choice to succome to greed (coin toss). He wears black/dark clothes.

Movie Poster Titles:
    "You can't stop what's coming" (Anton). He survives the car accident and bullets but you can wound/slow him down.
    "There are no laws left" (greed/Anton can't be controlled by laws/by Bell it is up to the person).
    "There are no clean Getaways" (greed/Anton eventually wins - greed has dire consequences)

Who is Carson Wells and what is the Business Office?
    Carson Wells is the good/reasoning conscience of Moss. The meeting in the office is the reasoning part of Moss' mind (the high rise office symbolizes his mind - the top of the building). The man behind the desk is Moss' sub-conscience saying that he wants his good conscience (Wells) to stop his bad conscience (Anton). Wells (good conscience) names a date, 28th November last year, when he last met Anton (bad conscience) - possibly this was a time that Moss had conflict in his conscious before. Wells says he knows Anton "every which way".
    Moss talks to Carla on the phone and could end everything but instead insists on keeping the money. He says he has to find 'him' and she says "Find who?" She asks about the safety of her mother and Moss says she'll be alright (he knows the Mexicans will find his Mother in Law). At this point Anton (greed) bursts into the office (Moss' mind) and kills Moss' reasoning part of his mind. The other character, accounting, is just another part of Moss' mind probably accounting for his money. Moss knows in his mind that the Mexicans will find his wife (says the Mexicans were given a tracking device).

And there are many many more parts in the movie that support all this. Now watch the movie again and you'll be going "Of course!" "Oh, that line makes sense!"
    THE DEBATE ENDS HERE!

And also interesting:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The ending to no country for old men is very simple. And a really good one.

In the end, Ed Tom (Jones) has already decided on retirement (life) rather than bringing the killer (Bardem) to justice. He knows he found the killer. The Sheriff retires because he realizes that the country he covers (south Texas) is No Country for Old Men. So in the end, he sits at the table and tells his wife about a dream: he heads into snowy, dangerous mountains (his life as a sheriff), and a man goes on ahead of him to await him (the killer still awaits). And then he woke up to the fact that in real life he was acting out this dream. So in the end, rather than live the nightmarish, lethal continuation of the dream, he wakes up to choosing the safer life of retirement. He has taken the lesson from his forcibly retired colleague in the wheelchair: a life of disability isn't worth it.

Actually, the Coen brothers left a big clue when Sheriff Ed Tom goes to the hotel room (behind the crime scene yellow tape) where the assassin, Chigurh, waits. Chigurh has shot the lock cylinder out, indicating to Ed that it's Chigurh's doing, and BOTH of them watch the other's movement in the reflection in the shiny lock tube. Ed Tom draws his pistol and enters for a search, and realizes the killer is still within, given the locked window in the far room.

"Momma, take this badge offa me, ... I feel I'm knockin on heaven's door." -- Bob Dylan, and it's beautifully captured on Jones' old, wincing face when he sits on the bed. So rather than shoot it out, he trusts the killer not to kill him, and he walks out, without pushing it to the point where the killer's other victims utter, "You don't have to do that."

So rather than risk his life, he lets go of capturing his quarry and retires.

Recall that the Sheriff is narrating the past at the beginning of the movie, a clue that he's still alive after the action of the rest of the movie.

Telling his wife of the dream is the final act of letting go of his job, and the movie screen goes black.

ReputationRep:
    "Start tomorrow" huh? That's what they all say. Russell Brand, I just don't get it. His films are terrible, and his humour in films isn't funny. I've not watched too many of his TV shows, but my friend is obsessed with him.
    I will, I promise :sad:

I guess the americans like the idea of a weird English man dancing around in their movies. They will get tired of him soon enough http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Nf2QoEtkg

Also, I'm going to see Source Code tomorrow :awesome:

I will, I promise :sad:

I guess the americans like the idea of a weird English man dancing around in their movies. They will get tired of him soon enough http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Nf2QoEtkg

Also, I'm going to see Source Code tomorrow :awesome:
    He's like the English Jack Sparrow. :awesome: And the review is good, I'm going to check out their other reviews. If you like games, you should check out Zero Punctuation. Same sort of style, more funny.

Source Code is a good film. You'll like Michelle.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think Russell Brand is a lot more talented than most people give him credit for. Roger Ebert made an interesting point in his review of Arthur that he knows the fundamentals of acting pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I actually think Russell Brand is a lot more talented than most people give him credit for. Roger Ebert made an interesting point in his review of Arthur that he knows the fundamentals of acting pretty well.
    I know the fundamentals of snowboarding. Doesn't mean I can drop into a black run and come out alive.

ReputationRep:
    Decided on a name for my filmy blog. No Speech Prepared. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    I know the fundamentals of snowboarding. Doesn't mean I can drop into a black run and come out alive.
    Of course. He's not going to win any awards yet, but he's more competent than he's often given credit for and he has a base to work on and improve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Of course. He's not going to win any awards yet, but he's more competent than he's often given credit for and he has a base to work on and improve.
    As a comedian I think he's dreadful but I didn't actually mind him in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.