Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Lovely day out

Should really think about going to see some films at somerset house this year, hope they're good' uns

ReputationRep:
    In the words of Pink: I'm not dead. :bandit:

More importantly though, who's AGI been blowing to get that rep bar? :curious:

The legend is back. :adore:

Everyone. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    The legend is back. :adore:

Everyone. :sexface:
    Don't think brown-nosing me will get that rep bar any bigger, sonny jim. :hand:

Why is it I always reappear on TSR when there's revision to be done? :nopity:

(Original post by zjs)
    Don't think brown-nosing me will get that rep bar any bigger, sonny jim. :hand:

Why is it I always reappear on TSR when there's revision to be done? :nopity:
    Legend. :adore:

So been busy lately? Like S-Man? Like unknownking? Like Roobsa? They've all left us, one by one...

Yeah, loads of revision to be done. Think I should go do that now actually. Constitutional and Jurisprudence is the bane of my existence. :sigh:

Get Smart is a mediocre film. It's like an American Johnny English. Though it seems it derives from a TV show from the 60s.

Ebert seemed to have liked it. :K:

ReputationRep:
    Legend. :adore:

So been busy lately? Like S-Man? Like unknownking? Like Roobsa? They've all left us, one by one...

Yeah, loads of revision to be done. Think I should go do that now actually. Constitutional and Jurisprudence is the bane of my existence. :sigh:
    :hand:

Busy with the girlfriend more than anything, but I've been getting on a few essays that count towards the old degree. Exams start in just under a month so it's definitely time to get working.

Polishing off a Juris essay as we speak - not looking forward to the exam either :nah:

Old man Phalanges still lurking around these parts?

Get Smart is a mediocre film. It's like an American Johnny English. Though it seems it derives from a TV from the 60s.
    Johnny English was better, as it was first and the only humourous bits in both films are largely the same: idiotic spy in wrong place, doing wrong thing.

ReputationRep:
    The pilot of Game of Thrones was pretty good, but HBO have been spiralling further and further in this grit-and-tits direction for so long that I was surprisingly unaffected by it. I understand that's kind of their thing, but what really made The Wire, Deadwood, etc. stand out was the brilliance of David Simon, Milch etc's vision, not an ingrained need to show how edgy they were.

Anyway, finally watched Good Will Hunting last night. Perhaps a bit schmaltzy, but still a very good film. And dramatic bearded Robin Williams is always a safe bet. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    Anyway, finally watched Good Will Hunting last night. Perhaps a bit schmaltzy, but still a very good film. And dramatic bearded Robin Williams is always a safe bet. :teeth:
    Hm. It is and isn't schmaltzy. At least, it is in the way feelings are explored, but isn't simply because it actually works well and has a certain, defined, place within the film. Dead Poets Society on the other hand...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    Hm. It is and isn't schmaltzy. At least, it is in the way feelings are explored, but isn't simply because it actually works well and has a certain, defined, place within the film. Dead Poets Society on the other hand...

I dunno, in the paraphrased words of Larry David it is very 'huggy and learny', but I guess Will getting past his emotional roadblocks and learning not to be a wasteful **** is probably kind of the entire point of the film. I just usually don't enjoy this sort of movie, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    And yeah, DPS is awful. Were it not for that piece of trash, I would never have suffered through the innumerable annoying, excitable English teachers who think of it as an inspiration.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, in the paraphrased words of Larry David it is very 'huggy and learny', but I guess Will getting past his emotional roadblocks and learning not to be a wasteful **** is probably kind of the entire point of the film. I just usually don't enjoy this sort of movie, I guess.
    That may be true, but it's executed well, so it never feels like it's just a piece about the trials and tribulations of a little scamp, starved of a mother's love - as so many films attempt to portray, but end up with long, drawn-out scenes of gentle embraces. Although GWH isn't exactly free of them, they do feel like properly implemented plot devices and character development, rather than the usual "you know what Steve, the audience hasn't cried in the last seven seconds, what do you say we phase in that piano solo and queue some more tearful bromance?"

I'm with you on not normally enjoying films of that type. Take 'Ghost'. There's a film about character development and emotions etc that just ends up as a romcom with a - slight - twist.

And yeah, DPS is awful. Were it not for that piece of trash, I would never have suffered through the innumerable annoying, excitable English teachers who think of it as an inspiration.
    Since I didn't notice this reply, I've hastily mashed it into this post, TSR-before-the-development style.

I didn't hate DPS. I didn't particularly enjoy it but there was just... something... about it that stuck, however schmaltzy and self-congratulatory it is. Maybe I'm just a big girl when it comes to 'touching' films :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    That may be true, but it's executed well, so it never feels like it's just a piece about the trials and tribulations of a little scamp, starved of a mother's love - as so many films attempt to portray, but end up with long, drawn-out scenes of gentle embraces. Although GWH isn't exactly free of them, they do feel like properly implemented plot devices and character development, rather than the usual "you know what Steve, the audience hasn't cried in the last seven seconds, what do you say we phase in that piano solo and queue some more tearful bromance?"

I'm with you on not normally enjoying films of that type. Take 'Ghost'. There's a film about character development and emotions etc that just ends up as a romcom with a - slight - twist.

Since I didn't notice this reply, I've hastily mashed it into this post, TSR-before-the-development style.

I didn't hate DPS. I didn't particularly enjoy it but there was just... something... about it that stuck, however schmaltzy and self-congratulatory it is. Maybe I'm just a big girl when it comes to 'touching' films :dontknow:

Yeah, I guess the emotional stuff in GWH never really rings false. I just find stuff like Ben Affleck's speech (brilliantly written though it is) and that scene where they just repeat 'it's not your fault' before hugging a bit hard to swallow. I did really enjoy it regardless.

I did hate DPS. I found Mr. Keating to be rather irresponsible, and the kids to be, by and large, jackasses. I also didn't really see Ethan Hawke's character to be of any value beyond the O Captain scene and the film needing a viewpoint character. I think it probably would have been fairer for me to say that it's unjustly lauded rather than outright bad, but I still hate it passionately.

ReputationRep:
    This is a wonderful little article.

ReputationRep:
    Saw Source Code today. Great movie, but a disappointing ending imo
    Also saw some trailers for some interesting movies.

This looks interesting

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I guess the emotional stuff in GWH never really rings false. I just find stuff like Ben Affleck's speech (brilliantly written though it is) and that scene where they just repeat 'it's not your fault' before hugging a bit hard to swallow. I did really enjoy it regardless.

I did hate DPS. I found Mr. Keating to be rather irresponsible, and the kids to be, by and large, jackasses. I also didn't really see Ethan Hawke's character to be of any value beyond the O Captain scene and the film needing a viewpoint character. I think it probably would have been fairer for me to say that it's unjustly lauded rather than outright bad, but I still hate it passionately.
    The 'it's not your fault' speech was definitely over the top and quite melodramatic, as they parody in Family Guy. I thought Affleck's speech was decent enough, even though it turned Affleck's character (Chuckie? Ben Affleck?) into a bit of a vehicle for the plot, as it didn't sound like something that'd naturally come out of his mouth.

The worst part of DPS was calling Robin Williams' character "John Keating". They may as well have called him John Keates and been done with the subtle-as-a-bull-in-a-china-shop comparison. Hawke's character was, at many points, the one rallying the boys forward in support of Keating, and to be there as a fellow outsider. Ultimately, they could've done away with him entirely, I agree. It's fair to say that Robin Williams' criticism as a 'moist-eyed camera-hogger' seems a lot more justified in DPS than in Good Will Hunting or One Hour Photo, for example. He is a decent actor though, which did cause the film to become a bit of a showcase for him - given the largely inexperienced, young and unknown cast.

ReputationRep:
    subscribing.

(Original post by zjs)
    :hand:

Busy with the girlfriend more than anything, but I've been getting on a few essays that count towards the old degree. Exams start in just under a month so it's definitely time to get working.

Polishing off a Juris essay as we speak - not looking forward to the exam either :nah:
    At least you've been making the most of your time. My main gripe with the whole subject is that it's so broad and overreaching. I want more Black letter law.

Old man Phalanges still lurking around these parts?
    Yup, Phalanges is still around. Regularly posting, writing reviews and moderating Entertainment (you may have missed) - could there be anyone more suitable? Oh and yeah, he's stopped hyping up films to the point of extreme fanboy anticipation following the severe depression he suffered when it didn't turn out all that amazing. You know of what I speak ... Tron: Legacy. :ninja: :awesome:

Johnny English was better, as it was first and the only humourous bits in both films are largely the same: idiotic spy in wrong place, doing wrong thing.
    Yup, I agree. The actor from Get Smart was in Office US? Haven't watched the series. Johnny English Reborn is coming out. In fact, there's a trailer:

What do you think? Meh or okay?

ReputationRep:
    It's all over the internet, JGL and Cotillard have finally officially been cast:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/04/1...gordon-levitt/

The wait's over. Finally. I was getting a bit bored of the constant speculation and guessing. Apart from having seen both of Nolan's Batmans, I'm not that familiar with the Batman universe, so what are everyone's thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisabethbridge)
    It's all over the internet, JGL and Cotillard have finally officially been cast:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/04/1...gordon-levitt/

The wait's over. Finally. I was getting a bit bored of the constant speculation and guessing. Apart from having seen both of Nolan's Batmans, I'm not that familiar with the Batman universe, so what are everyone's thoughts?
    They're both original characters as far as i'm aware.

Never come across them in comics unless they had incredibly small roles.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.